Jar cycle?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 12-21-2012, 03:44 AM   #1
deadfrog
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Jar cycle?

Hi all, thanks for your time first of all.

So, I'm new to a lots of things relating to tanks. I have a 10gallon currently cycling and while that's going I want to set up a plants & shrimp only tank, something for my desk.

I don't plan to have a heater nor co2 just using a desk lamp (1 3 to 5 watt cfl) and air stone for some aeration.

The setup will be a 1gal (tall kind) jar, ryuoh stones, azoo substrate, ferns, moss, anubias (wanted to start with low maintenance plants), and shrimp once it's safe.

I was hoping to get some confirmation on a few things from more experienced persons:

- What do I "feed" the plants while the cycle process is taking place?
- How is a cycle process for something like this different from, say, my 10 gallon?

Thank you all very much in advanced.

~ fv
deadfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2012, 03:55 AM   #2
chunkychun
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (18/100%)

I have 2 flower vases about 1 gal each that i put in moss, ludwiga repens, anacharis and other clippings. No heater/filter etc. I let it sit for 1-2 weeks. I threw a snail in and it died so I let it run another week or so. I didn't add anything for the plants but i used aquasoil in one and flourite with osmocote plus in other. plants were growing and threw another snail in and it was fine. then added a couple of shrimps. no water changes and just topped off and occasionally add water for high tech tank with EI ferts. everyone is happy now.

I would say that if you wanted to do walstad/low tech and planted cycling, it would be similar for 1 gal vs 10 gal but haven't tried on a 10gal yet. just make sure you have lots of plants that are growing well and then you know your cycle is complete and then you can slowly add fish, etc.

good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20121220_230120.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	59282  

chunkychun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 04:08 AM   #3
deadfrog
Algae Grower

Thank you very much for the response and tips.
By-and-far one of the best forums I've ever joined, this one is :^)
deadfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 03:26 PM   #4
Disher
Planted Member

I have a three gallon jar I setup similiar to
Disher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 04:22 PM   #5
horsedude
Planted Tank Obsessed

i really want to do this to some im taking on some of the information to! Tehehe
Old 12-21-2012, 04:28 PM   #6
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

Look into the fishless cycle.
If the jars are as well planted as the pictures above, with plants that are growing into the air, then they might very well be fully capable of utilizing all the ammonia produced by the small shrimp you might want to add.
Plants with leaves in the air get all the CO2 they need, so that is not a limiting factor. They can utilize all the other nutrients better and faster than plants that are only growing under water.

I would not put any fish in that sort of set up.

If the plants you want are only under water plants then I would do a fishless cycle, just to be sure.
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 04:44 PM   #7
Knotyoureality
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

Anytime I'm setting up a small planted vessel, I bring over--even if only temporarily--as much material from an established tank as possible.

If I have matching substrate in another tank, I'll steal a little of that to seed the new stuff, as well as pulling in plant cuttings and do the first fill up with water from an established tank. Often my smaller vessels are set up on a bit of a whim, but if there's lead time, I'll go ahead and put any hardscape elements in a live tank as far ahead as possible. Barring that, I keep a scattering of driftwood shards tucked in among the back of my larger tanks, 1-3" long, that provide additional surface for both beneficial bacteria and biofilm--helping cycle the bowl and giving ready eating for shrimp and micro-organisms.

Snails are my test pilots. Followed by either cherry shrimp, ghost shrimp or an endler or two depending on what the ultimate stocking plan is--and what I think I can either leave in or be able to later catch!
Knotyoureality is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 04:23 AM   #8
chunkychun
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (18/100%)

Agree with Diana no fish. I keep a few shrimps and hopefully the vases become snail farms