Homicide in a Biorb Flow
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 12-23-2012, 03:08 PM   #1
capini

PTrader: (0/0%)

Homicide in a Biorb Flow

I have had a planted Biorb Flow for about six months. For five of those months I've had six happy algae eating shrimp keeping things clean. No other fish in there. The tank is moderately planted with a piece of wood and my own rock instead of what comes with the Biorb which I thought was just ugly...anyway..When I make water changes, I've done about a fifty percent change (basically to get the tannins out of the water from the wood). I make the water changes about every three weeks. I've used water from my kitchen sink filter as we have softened water in the house, and our drinking water comes through a filtration system that is post softening. We just changed last week to a potassium tablet vs the salt we have had previously. I made the change yesterday, and this mroning all six japonica shrimp are very, very dead. I've had several planted tanks before, I dosed the water with AmQuel and the temperature of the water was fine...Was it the potassium that did it? They have never had a problem with any of the water changes previously. I can't find any articles that say potassium is a problem. Anyone have any insight? I had cleaned the filter about two weeks ago. All the test strips look within parameters too.
capini is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2012, 03:58 PM   #2
MABJ
Invert Warrior

PTrader: (12/100%)

If whatever you dropped in the water had an amount of copper in it, that would do it.

But I am no detective. I would say whatever you changed your water to obviously killed the shrimp. Change it back and test again.

MABJ's iDevice used for this message :p

New to shrimp? Need help? Check out these threads:
|Essential tools to buy|List of inverts|Sage advice|

Mark A Belcher Junior, a proud member of the DBP Club.
MABJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 06:53 PM   #3
Elppan
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

It's the potassium water softener! I tried and tried to keep shrimp months ago and everything else I could keep alive, fish, snails, ghost shrimp, but not the cute little cherries or any other shrimp. Not to wash my hands and call myself a shrimp murderer, I got every test I could think of and some suggested!

After almost giving up I dug as deep as I could and found everyone else who used potassium water softeners couldn't keep dwarf shrimp. Basically they'll swim around like they are drunk, and then keel over and die.

I now use a 90% mix of R/O water and 10% nonsoftened tap with a small bit of prime to add in minerals, and usually a drop of shrimp minerals. I now have tons of shrimp babies, and no more mysterous deaths.

Your water softener won't kill fish or plants, but will sadly continue to murder dwarf shrimp.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:42 PM   #4
capini

PTrader: (0/0%)

Elppan, thank you so much for this! I was hoping someone out there had had this experience. R/O it will be! I didn't think I would like just a shrimp tank, but they are kind of cool and do a good job of keeping the algae off the plants.
capini is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 08:23 PM   #5
Elppan
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by capini View Post
Elppan, thank you so much for this! I was hoping someone out there had had this experience. R/O it will be! I didn't think I would like just a shrimp tank, but they are kind of cool and do a good job of keeping the algae off the plants.
No problem! After all the amounts of research I did to make sure I wasn't a
horrible murderer, I want to make sure no one else has the same problems.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.