Night 8 light timing?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 12-18-2012, 04:49 AM   #1
Kado
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Night 8 light timing?

In our condo we have something called a night 8 electricity plan. Basically our electricity is cheaper from 11pm-7am. That is the only time our hot water heater will heat water.

Since I work a night shift and don't usually get home till 10~11pm, I was wondering if it will be ok to run the lights from 11pm-7am? That way I can save a few $$ plus be able to relax and view my tank when I get home. Just don't want to stress my fish too much.
Kado is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2012, 04:52 AM   #2
Seattle_Aquarist
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (30/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kado View Post
In our condo we have something called a night 8 electricity plan. Basically our electricity is cheaper from 11pm-7am. That is the only time our hot water heater will heat water.

Since I work a night shift and don't usually get home till 10~11pm, I was wondering if it will be ok to run the lights from 11pm-7am? That way I can save a few $$ plus be able to relax and view my tank when I get home. Just don't want to stress my fish too much.
Hi Kado,

Not a problem, the plants should do just fine! Spend the money you save on extra plants!

Seattle_Aquarist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 05:16 AM   #3
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

Not a problem at all.

I run my aquarium lighting from 6 pm - 2 am, since that is when I am up.

Nobody is around during the day to enjoy the aquarium anyway!

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 12:41 PM   #4
Kado
Planted Member

Thanks for the replies! I reset my timers to run at night now.
Kado is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 12:26 AM   #5
Steve001
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kado View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
Not a problem at all.

I run my aquarium lighting from 6 pm - 2 am, since that is when I am up.

Nobody is around during the day to enjoy the aquarium anyway!
Make certain they receive no light during the day. Fish and plants need total darkness just like you and me do.
Steve001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 12:54 AM   #6
Seattle_Aquarist
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (30/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve001 View Post
Make certain they receive no light during the day. Fish and plants need total darkness just like you and me do.
Must be difficult to turn off the moon at night; especially since it is out about 27 nights per month.

Seattle_Aquarist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 11:42 AM   #7
Steve001
Wannabe Guru

Moonlight is extremely dim. Even so during the full phase. It's dimmer than you imagine. Fish can hide in dark places. Photosynthesis does not occur during full moonlight. All diurnal life forms need a period of darkness. Plants can fold up their leaves when they have received enough light. You might have noticed this happening with your own plants when they have received enough light.

Last edited by Steve001; 12-19-2012 at 09:31 PM.. Reason: x
Steve001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.