Docís the Building an 75 Gallon planted tank - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 09-23-2012, 09:47 PM   #16
drhemlock2
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Docís the Building an 75 Gallon planted tank

i have two 400 gph power head's one that i want to use in a hamburg type filter in both my 10 gallon as well as the 75 when i get it. i have placed a medicine bottle on the uptake and am using it to restrict the flow of the power head so far it has ran all day with no issues. here is my question i used to know how to determine the rate of flow from a HOB and or a power head but for the life of me i cannot remember how to do it. i know after a very long night and morning on reading about this type of filter that it needs at least a 2 x turnover x the size of tank to be an effective filter. i realize that for a 10 gallon a filter like this seems a bit much but i am trying to keep costs down and use what i have on hand. plus this type of filter will be used in the 10 gallon as a QT tank. then i will see how it functions and how to setup the one in my 75. i still need to read hoppy's adventures with this type of filter and will tonight. i spent last night and into the morning reading another's log. also i have ordered the driftwood see attach. and will design how i want it to look from the pictures and from first hand when it gets here from Tom Barr. i have a question on the drift wood as it is very long for what i want to do with it and the 75 is 22.5 inches tall x 48 inches long 18 inches deep. i wanted to cut it and kind of make a tree trunk with branches for my tank. how do i go about it, i mean i think i will need a base and if so what kind and how do i attach the sections to it without later on having whatever i attached it with falling apart a few years later or if screws are used should i use SS screws. that is all i need so far. i have the stand about done need to skin it still add some doors, paint etc. have decided on 2- heaters 150 watt, filtration (hamburg), temperature gauge (ardruino i hope) else manual, lights LED,fish,no plants as of yet still gandering at many of them on here and the encyclopedia of aquarium plants to see what i would like and the availability of said species. rocks, i am still determining what kind i want again with what is available around here.
thanks
doc
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	driftwood n0.98 for 75 gallon tank.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	54252  

Last edited by drhemlock2; 09-23-2012 at 09:50 PM.. Reason: adding attach
drhemlock2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2012, 01:04 PM   #17
drhemlock2
Algae Grower

Default a few questions

OK i am back at it again, i have been gathering some DIY things to get going namely a jarduino aquarium controller and its parts. driftwood etc. the next thing i think is the LEDs and the parts and as i gather these parts seems one by one as i can afford them i wonder if it is possible to get plants this way a little at a time and place them into a couple of 10 gallon tanks i have until i can get enough to place in the 75 when i am ready for them. i mean it makes sense as i will not be able to buy the plants i need all at once and i could be picky with what i want to use mainly low light plants. i have been studying some books i have on aquarium plants and sort of have an idea what i want but not sure if i can get the at a LSF. i also see here a cool thing called ROAK of different plant types would this be a good thing to do. i have got the QT tank up and running now. unless i can find a 75 on sale soon it might be next summer before i buy a tank. i missed the last one at petco. what do you guys/gals think?
doc
Old 01-07-2013, 11:27 PM   #18
drhemlock2
Algae Grower

Default some more parts gathered

just got EHIEM feeder and a heater next will be some plants things i hope. awaiting parts for my jarduino controller for the temp monitering things already have it up and running just awaiting things. at first i wanted to go wireless monitoring on the temp but have since decided to go wired for right now. next project will be gathering parts to hack the feeder under arduino control. have a great day.
doc
Old 01-08-2013, 02:51 AM   #19
Meganne
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

the wood you have selected is wonderful!
Old 01-08-2013, 03:53 AM   #20
drhemlock2
Algae Grower

Talking designing in my mind

as i figure this will be my last tank i want it to be special so i am taking my time getting it right or as right as i can get it. i have to do things a little at a time as i live on a very tight budget.
doc
Old 02-01-2013, 09:21 PM   #21
drhemlock2
Algae Grower

i was thinking last night about if one builds or buys a led light for his/her tank how does one clean the light or do the lights have something keeping crud off the lenses. i mean i have ery hard water and it marks up glass left and right would it not splash or just naturally get on the lenses of the leds. even if it is say inches above the tank top. i have read many build logs on lighting with leds and no one mentions if they have to clean them at certain times or if they don't why not.
doc
Old 03-12-2013, 09:13 PM   #22
drhemlock2
Algae Grower

Default further progress

okay i could not wait anymore so i setup a 35 gallon tank to be used as a plant place as i gather plants for the 75. i put the eheim heater in there to make sure it works, it does. i also put the power head in there that i will use for the 75 works fine. next i hope to make some plant holders like riptarium system uses for the plants i gather. i got me a led controller from o2surplus great guy to work with. i hope to start building the lights for the 75 and getting the temp probes etc to work. i am currently working on the automatic feeder also an eheim hokked up to jarduino for use. in the meantime i am using clamp on cfl lamps for the 35 gallon until i make a light for the 35 for the plants. if anyone can gather me up a good supply of low light plants and send them to me i will pay for them. i think i posted a list of what i am looking for here somewhere if you can this would be great. i still need to get some substrate that another guy on here suggested something like oil dry cannot remember the brand name and some ferts also. i still have to skin my stand and get the 75 gallon but becuase i live on a very short budget(doesn;t everyone) i have to get things once a month. i figure it will be either first of summer or later part of summer when i get the 75 especially when it goes on sale.

thanks
doc
p.s. figued out the light problem i last posted about the cleaning of the led lenses. thanks byron
Old 08-09-2013, 07:20 PM   #23
drhemlock2
Algae Grower

This is a update to my proposed 75 gallon planted tank log. I have already setup a 35 gallon and a 10 gallon to serve as plant farms for my 75. I have used some leftover glad containers filled to about 2 inches with some oil absorbing material on top of an inch of some miracle grow in each container. Been doing this for a few months now, seems I can grow plants well as I have had to “Mow” the lawn almost once a week. I got some good plant species here on the forum from some great guys. I am using in place of my to be built led light setup 4 – 175 CFL lights over the tanks each at about 20 inches from the substrate two on each tank. Seems my cleanup crew that came with one of the batches of plants is keeping any bad things from happing seems I can keep snails also.
Since setting this up a few months ago I have been gathering a few items trying some ideas using the 35 as a test tank I have been gearing up with a filter system using a Hamburg setup for the 75 using one of my magnum 350’s which I have attached a surface skimmer a cheap one that works well I would suggest one for anyone who has a tank. If you pm I will advise which one I am using.
For my tank stand that I had way over built and have made adjustments to make it more user friendly and functional for myself. As I get older it seems the more things I can make easy to manage makes life so much better. As many of you know the economy is not good so I am having to take a bit longer to gather the things I need to get this up and stocked but nothing worthwhile is done overnight. The lights are next once they are built and functioning like they should I will gather a couple more things a acrylic sheets some filter material for the 75 and some other plumbing items and some more Miracle and another bag of the oil absorbing material, also to get the tank purchased and here on the stand.
Thanks
Doc
Old 10-12-2013, 10:05 PM   #24
drhemlock2
Algae Grower

okay time for an update i have decided to use pendant lighting three of them six inches in diameter with 4 high power white, 4 cw high power and two blue and two red on each pendant. each will be spaced 18.5 inches part about 29 inches (adjustable) above the tank. i am a little unsure how to wire this up but i am thinking about it any help would be great. i to power the LEDs a MW 48V 7.25A AC/DC PSU Switching Power Supply Mean Well NES-350-48 350W i am having some issues finding out how things should be connected to this unit. for other things i have chosen to automate a tad i have a
MW 12V Regulated Switching Power Supply 30A 360W AC/DC PSU i mean walwart are fine but i have yet to find one that the output stays the same across the board so to speak. the LEDs will have either 60 degree or 30 degree lenses on them have not decided.
if someone is good at drawing out how they should be connected the power supply and the LEDs please feel free nd i would be eternally grateful.
doc