Excel/carbon supplement and moss?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 08-31-2012, 08:17 PM   #1
caykuu
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question

Excel/carbon supplement and moss?

I read that Excel is harmful to moss, so I've been reluctant to use it much ever since I converted my 55gal into a mainly moss setup. I currently am trying to grow out a large bunch of Taiwan moss, but I also have java ferns in my tank that I'd like to promote growth.

Also now thinking of using Metricide 14 in replace of excel, for cost reasons.

Would Metricide 14/excel harm the moss? IF not, how well does java fern do with carbon supplement compared to without?

And a random nooby question that's been on my mind... if Excel does harm moss, is pressurized CO2 harmful too?

Thanks-
caykuu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2012, 08:53 PM   #2
shinycard255
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)

I've been dosing my 15G RCS tank with excel and it has Java and Peacock moss in it. To be honest, I don't really see a difference in growth when it comes to adding it or not. And I don't see it dying when I dose it either. Just stay at the recommended dosing and you should be good to go.

I put the Peacock Moss in my 15G the same day as Mini Xmas Moss in my Evolve4 and both are growing at the same rate. 15G gets excel while my Evolve4 does not

I've never used Metricide 14 so I can't comment on it

Java fern doesn't need Excel to grow well. Light is usually more than enough since it's a low-light plant. I have Java Fern in my 60G high tech and that stuff grows like crazy due to me injecting CO2

Pressurized CO2 is not harmful. It will help promote faster and thicker growth
The Fraternity of Dirt #42
Who would have thought that plants like dirt?!
shinycard255 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2012, 09:09 PM   #3
caykuu
Planted Tank Obsessed

Good to know. Since excel is also an algae-killer, I thought it made sense if it had ill effects on moss too. Whew. Though I may just switch to no carbon supplement, if that's the case.. after I finish my current excel bottle.

I currently only have one Zoomed Flora Sun T8 bulb over my 55gal, 24 inches tall. I'm mainly growing Taiwan moss and java fern.
Would adding another of the same bulb be better for overall growth (without dosing excel), or will that cause algae problems, do you think?

I'd like to have some more fast/prominent growth in my tank; I haven't had a very successful setup in that ..realm... yet. So hoping for some suggestions for improvement. I don't have the budget for pressurized CO2.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:17 PM   #4
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (177/100%)

subwassertang and Pellia seem pretty sensative to this stuff.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:25 PM   #5
shinycard255
Wannabe Guru

On my 60G, I started out with only 1 T8 at the beginning, but within a few months, I added another bulb to see what it would do and it didn't really do much to be honest. Even with 3 T8s over your tank, you will still be at low lighting. If you want to head into Medium lighting, try using 1 T5HO sitting on top of the tank, or you can use 2 T5HO 4" above the top of the tank

Adding this chart here to kind of help you figure out where you stand with lighting:

I have 2 T8s over my 15G and that puts me at medium lighting and I only dose Excel when I remember to. To this day, I still have yet to get an algae outbreak besides your usual diatoms :knock on wood:
Old 08-31-2012, 09:51 PM   #6
caykuu
Planted Tank Obsessed

I used to have one T8 and one T5HO over my 55gal, and ended up with a pretty big algae problem and unhealthy plants, which I blamed on high light and not enough Excel- (Correct me if I'm wrong)
so I decided a couple weeks ago to just use one T8, and see how that goes.. but if the one T8 ends up being too low, that would be undesirable too.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:58 PM   #7
shinycard255
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by caykuu View Post
I used to have one T8 and one T5HO over my 55gal, and ended up with a pretty big algae problem and unhealthy plants, which I blamed on high light and not enough Excel- (Correct me if I'm wrong)
so I decided a couple weeks ago to just use one T8, and see how that goes.. but if the one T8 ends up being too low, that would be undesirable too.
Most likely you ended up with an algae bloom due to high light WITHOUT co2. If you have high light without CO2, all you will have is an algae farm. Excel will not help at all in this scenario unfortunately

Try hanging your 1 T5HO a few inches above the tank to see what it does, or just cut out the T8 and have only the T5HO. Because even with the T5HO on a 24" tank with the light sitting on top of the tank, you should still be at low lighting
Old 08-31-2012, 10:00 PM   #8
caykuu
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinycard255 View Post
Most likely you ended up with an algae bloom due to high light WITHOUT co2. If you have high light without CO2, all you will have is an algae farm. Excel will not help at all in this scenario unfortunately
That's a revelation! I always thought Excel was able to replace CO2, but I guess I was wrong.
So basically, without a DIY/pressurized CO2 system, I'm unable to have medium~high light without an algae farm?

Also, I'm unable to do any light hanging at the moment. My only lighting option atm is having it stand on top of the tank.

ETA: I just bought another T8 for $5, because looked like an okay deal. Hopefully it will at least provide more light on my aquarium, since it's looking a little dark right now.
Old 09-01-2012, 12:23 AM   #9
StrungOut
plantedtank fiend

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to StrungOut

Excel is a sterilizer, I see no use of it as a carbon source. Itll kill algae well. In smaller doses its fine, in big to huge doses it can kill any plant. Correct me if im wrong
StrungOut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2012, 01:47 PM   #10
shinycard255
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by caykuu View Post
So basically, without a DIY/pressurized CO2 system, I'm unable to have medium~high light without an algae farm?
You'll be able to have medium lighting without CO2... you just need to keep an eye on algae. My 15G RCS tank is medium lighting without CO2 and it does fine. I only dose Excel when I remember too as well.

Once you get into high lighting is when CO2 starts to play a major role here. When you have so much light without CO2, different kinds of algae start to kick into full gear due to the tank being unbalanced

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.