What's up with my inline reactor?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 09-01-2012, 09:14 AM   #1
eeng168
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (99/100%)

What's up with my inline reactor?

I started dabbling with CO2 and currently having it running through a reactor with the bio-balls. Problem is that I see more bubbles shooting out of the Eheim spraybar more than I like. The purpose of the reactor is that the CO2 should be all broken up before it reaches inside the tank, no?

So, my other option which I play around with is a glass diffuser with the ceramic disc. But I never get the fine bubbles that dissolves before reaching the surface. Maybe it needs to be clean so that the bubbles should come through the entire disc instead of certain spots?

I've even tried using a wooden airstone which works a little better but same thing, a majority of the bubbles reaches the surface and pop.

I either want a REAL fine mist or see nothing at all, please help.
eeng168 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2012, 09:31 AM   #2
greenfish4
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I have had good luck in the past with inline reactors. Do you have yours set up with a canister filter?
greenfish4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2012, 11:52 AM   #3
Forumsnow
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (27/100%)

Sounds like your pump has too much flow for the size reactor you have. Basically it is blowing the co2 out before it has fully dissolved. You could try putting it on a y with ball valve to throttle back flow. Or just put it on it's own separate smaller pump.

And as far as the glass diffuser goes, it sounds like it needs to be cleaned. You can make 50/50 bath of bleach and water and let it soak for atleast a half hour. Just make sure to rinse it very well with dechlorinator when you are finished. Also when using the glass diffuser try to have it under a powerhead or filter output so it blows the co2 around the tank and has more time to dissolve.

Best of luck to you. Co2 is a real mother f'er. It took me almost 4 months to really get it right. Just be patient and allow 2-3 days between changes in co2. Watch the fish for to start acting weird and back it off a little from there. Also watch the plants there should be no stunting and nice steady growth. These are much better indicators than a dropchecker. My drop checker is yellow but I find it to be the perfect amount. I also keep alot of surface agitation though or the fish would not handle this level. O2 is just as important as co2 I have found.
Forumsnow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2012, 02:21 PM   #4
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (142/100%)

What reactor are you using? Try taking out bio-balls and see what happens.
OVT is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2012, 02:45 PM   #5
newday3000
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Try something like this. it dissolves CO2 before leaving the reactor, no bubbles, works great for last 2 years. The CO2 enters from power head that chops up CO2 and pumps CO2 bubbles into the bottom top of the reactor and leave through tube at the bottom of the reactor so it must be dissolved to leave the reactor.

Old 09-01-2012, 04:06 PM   #6
eeng168
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (99/100%)

I'm using an aqua medic 1000. The filter thats returning the water is an Eheim 2224 series.

I'm going to try to clean the diffuser as suggested above. I also found out it's actually a small one, so if the cleaning works, I will try a bigger one as well.

Thanks for the suggestions, keep them coming!
eeng168 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.