Neolamprolagus multifasciatus biotope, sort of.
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 10-30-2013, 04:40 AM   #1
Wannaberooted
Green is good

PTrader: (0/0%)

Neolamprolagus multifasciatus biotope, sort of.

This will be a non-planted tank, so don't look if you want to see plants. Otherwise, welcome aboard!

I originally was going to use some extra equipment I have laying around to make a small African Cichlid tank, but I soon went overboard after learning about Multies.

So I ordered this, freshly unwrapped, a Deep Blue 30 gallon breeder. It's 36x18x12 inches. It seems like a well built tank, and have grown to like the black silicone.

Click image for larger version

Name:	102.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	407.2 KB
ID:	228545

An AquaClear 50 HOB, 50 pounds of pool filter sand, 20 pounds of CaribSea Sahara Sand for Cichlids, and a Fluval 150 heater will all make the fish happy I hope. A cheapo T8 light will do since there will be no plants. I looked and looked for Neothauma snail shells, but I gave up. Extra large escargot shells from Roland will have to do.

I'm almost done with the stand, I got this far last night.

Name:	104.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	346.0 KB
ID:	228553

A background rock hunt on the Eau Claire River and deciding how to finish the stand, and I should be ready to start cycling this weekend.

After that, a 90 minute drive to the Cities, and I'll get me some fish.
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2013, 05:04 AM   #2
HSA1255
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

I've seen planted tanks with multies, but with or without plants that's a great tank and I am excited to see how it goes. Good luck to you.
HSA1255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 06:02 AM   #3
I<3<*))))><
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to I<3<*))))><

Looks like you're well on your way to an awesome setup! Im very excited to see this tank come to life!!!!
Stephanie - RAOK Club #130
FINNEX CLUB MEMBER!
I<3<*))))>< is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 04:24 AM   #4
Wannaberooted
Green is good

Thanks folks. I wanted this tank to be as accurate as possible to where Multies live, so no plants.

I decided on this material to cover the tank, two 18"x24" sheets of .1" acrylic. There's also the tool to cut it. Just over 20 bucks with tool, not bad. There's a protective cover on the sheets, hence the haziness. I may intentionally scratch the sheets with sandpaper to diffuse the light. I'll wait until I try them clear first though.

Name:	116.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	265.8 KB
ID:	228849

I'm also thinking of using latex paint to paint the back glass the blue in this picture. Thank you whoever you are for posting this picture of Lake Tanganyika.
Name:  hqdefault.jpg
Views: 2062
Size:  7.5 KB
Old 11-01-2013, 08:47 AM   #5
clau74
Algae Grower

Hi ,
A tank with cichlids is a very good idea.I would have used a few pieces of wood and stones . Plants would pick Anubias nana, barter and congensis.

Wait to see your tank !
Old 11-01-2013, 10:45 PM   #6
pseudomugil
Algae Grower

looks awesome!
pseudomugil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 05:39 AM   #7
Wannaberooted
Green is good

Here's the completed stand.

Name:	117.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	301.0 KB
ID:	232065
If it wasn't for perhaps the world's oldest level you could see it is level, very close.

I went with two boards on top, joined with the excess I cut off, they were four feet long.

I like the rustic look, reminds me of a pine fence. I bounced up and down in the middle, this thing could support a half a ton I bet. Everything is glued and screwed, except the top to the frame using just four screws. I figure it will be good to let that have a little give as one 4x4 is slightly shorter than the others. Everything will sit on the 4x4's.

I just have to put a couple coats of water based polyurethane on it, but a minor back problem has pushed that back a bit.

So, in the mean time, I've been working on a way to light this thing. I bought a three foot T8 fixture meant to be wired into the house circuit. I attached a cord, and have a design on paper to attach it to the stand so that I can move it up, back, and out of the way for maintenance, yet it still provides downward light. I think I'm going to go with a balsa shade along the whole thing, maybe lined with aluminum foil.

More on the way, in unreal time...

Last edited by Wannaberooted; 11-08-2013 at 05:59 AM.. Reason: I had to make it less stupid
Wannaberooted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:52 AM   #8
clau74
Algae Grower

Hi ,
Interesting project. Stand is beautifully done well, I hope to be strong.
Looks awesome!
Old 11-09-2013, 05:29 AM   #9
Wannaberooted
Green is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by clau74 View Post
Hi ,
Interesting project. Stand is beautifully done well, I hope to be strong.
Looks awesome!
Thanks buddy.

It is way, way stronger than I thought it would be. It could easily hold a 65 gallon tank. I weigh about 150 pounds, I can't make it move no matter where I stand on it. I'm very happy for 50 bucks for everything.
Old 11-12-2013, 05:35 AM   #10
Wannaberooted
Green is good

The light stand/fixture has really been holding me up. I want to make an illusion of the light just hovering over the tank, with no visible means of support.

Here's the light, a hard wire T8 flourescent. I attached a cord. I'll be using a 4100K cool white for a bulb. I should get about 40 PAR according to Hoppy's chart about 14 inches about the substrate.

Name:	120.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	302.3 KB
ID:	233769

I started there for the height of the light in this crude drawing from the side, for how I mount it. It will be 40% of the distance from the front to back of the tank, a little front-lighting. The square with the circle in it is the fixture, the circle is the side view of the bulb. The drawing is 1/4"=1", so I can get measurements for the wood pieces.

Name:	118.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	259.8 KB
ID:	233761

It's all using 1"x2"s which are actually 3/4"x1 1/2", I hate how they do that.

If I want to cover the fixture and all the wood holding it up from the front to make a shade, it will be at least 6" deep, and I think that will look too bulky. There is my problem, how to slimline this. The fixture weights 5.5 pounds, with pretty thin metal. I may be able to reinforce the metal, and do away with all the support on top. More thinking is needed.

Otherwise, the drawing somewhat shows two 1x2s attached to the tank stand and the light, with one 1x2 at an angle in between connecting them. The joints will be connected by a carriage bolt, metal and rubber washers, and a wingnut. I can then move it up and back to get it out of the way for maintenance, but still have downward light. I should mention, this will all be mounted in the middle of the stand.

I drove by a local landscaping company this weekend. They were closed, but they had some rocks that intrigued me. I may just buy some rocks, the river rocks here rarely look similar.

Stay tuned...

Last edited by Wannaberooted; 11-12-2013 at 06:03 AM.. Reason: I had to mention something
Old 11-13-2013, 12:09 PM   #11
clau74
Algae Grower

Hi ,
Interesting ideas . Lighting is not less than 8000-10000 k .
Old 11-13-2013, 01:09 PM   #12
londonloco
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

I've kept multi's numerous times over the years, one of my favorite fish to keep. If you google pics of Lake Tangy, there is some vegetation that grows in the lake. I've always tied java fern to a few broken shells to add color to the tank.

My last multi tank was a 75g devoted to multi's, had 100's of them along with some gold pristella tetra's as dithers. No matter what I've done to multi tanks over the years, I was never successful in eliminating the algae that grows on the shells. Eventually it stains the shells green. It takes soaking shells in bleach for weeks to get that stain off. I broke down the 75g this summer, miss those little fish.

Good luck with your tank, they are interesting to watch.
Old 11-14-2013, 03:46 AM   #13
Wannaberooted
Green is good

Thanks for the well wishes and advice londonloco. It would have been cool to see your tank.

I've thought about dither fish, I'll see how it goes first with just the Multies. I want it to be as realistic as possible.

Here's someone's Flickr photo of the shell beds in Lake Tanganyika, there's a bunch of cool pictures there really. But Multies live like 30 feet down, no plants. I do have some baby Lace Java Ferns in my planted tank. Maybe someday, but I don't know how well they would do.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fishwhisperer/3820307665/

Here's her picture of some plants in Lake Tanganyika. She says plants are only in very shallow areas.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fishwhi...n/photostream/

Of course, the fish will decide where the shells and sand go, I just need to get some cool rocks. Friday I'll go to that landscaping company and take a closer look at those dark bluish ones, though I haven't seen any blue rocks in any Lake Tanganyika pictures. Granite sounds like what's mostly in the lake, lots of angular stones.

Thanks Claudiu. I hope all my ideas work as planned. I need to take that light fixture apart again and figure out how to attach a 1"x2" to the side, to get a 3" profile from the front. I'll be doing that tonight.

Stay tuned...

Last edited by Wannaberooted; 11-14-2013 at 04:07 AM.. Reason: I added a link.
Old 11-15-2013, 04:58 AM   #14
Wannaberooted
Green is good

Here's my final drawing from the side of the light mount. My pen was running out of ink toward the end and it got a little scribbly, sorry. It's legible though. I need to get a pencil, doing drawings like this in pen is stupid.

Name:	121.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	295.0 KB
ID:	234834

I opened the light fixture, and decided the metal could take the stress of the weight. I just need to drill four holes in the metal and attach a 1x2 to it with machine screws, washers, and nuts. The two 2" long 1x2's will attach to that, with the single 14" long swing arm sandwiched between. It should work like a charm. Not in the picture will be a block to keep the fixture or swing arm from crashing into the tank.

The balsa shade will be angled a bit more than in the drawing. There will be balsa end plates and a top to make it look nice. I can do all that after the tank is filled, and waiting for the tank to cycle. Bacteria doesn't need light.

The place with the rocks has a website.

http://www.redflintrockandstone.com/products/JD85000

I think this might have been the rock I saw, but I was in my car 30 yards away from the pile when they were closed. I'm confident I'll find something cool now. I'm gonna bring a five gallon bucket there tomorrow before work and see what treasures I can find.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:44 PM   #15
carpalstunna
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

have you thought about a 3d background? I have seem some awesome Lake Tanganyika tanks with a foam rock background and it hides your equipment.
carpalstunna is offline   Reply With Quote