Should I do water changes?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 10-16-2012, 08:04 AM   #1
R.sok
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Should I do water changes?

So far my tank has been running for 6 months with the first 4 being not planted & the last 2 being planted. During the previous 2 month period I did no water changes Just topped it off every 3 days or so & the water looks crystal clear, fish look healthy & happy, My question is Should I start doing frequent changes? I don't mind doing them just never did because everything looked fine. I remember someone saying new water is beneficial for plants because the water has elements & heard another say The comprehensive will have everything I need

Tank specs
-8 gallon biocube
-diy c02/reactor/ via outlet
-1.5 ml seachem comprehensive every other day
-15 watt 6500 cfl
-3 pea puffers
-4 tiny guppies
-One large snail I believe it is a nerite
-rotala indica
-anubias
-java moss
-water sprite
-water wisteria
-Cardamine lyrata
R.sok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2012, 08:15 AM   #2
chou
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Smile

definitely, since you have pea puffers. they make a huge mess and for an 8g, i think you should be doing frequent top offs or w/cs
chou is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2012, 09:19 AM   #3
AVN
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

Show us your water test results. If you have ammonia and nitrates than you should do water changes.

Nitrites are a grey area, they are usable by plants and generally non-toxic to livestock in small concentrations.
AVN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2012, 11:36 AM   #4
ddrfreak_tung
Planted Tank Obsessed

yes you should. as im sure you've been to walmart, you can clearly see their water might be clear but there might also be a pile of dead fish in the corner of the tank.
ddrfreak_tung is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2012, 12:38 AM   #5
R.sok
Planted Tank Obsessed

0ppm for ammonia & 5 ppm nitrates, seachem comprehensive was dosed yesterday so I'd imagine it would be higher during dosing. I always topped off when an inch of water was missing, usually three days *Open top*. I will do water changes every 3 days 20% & see if I notice better plant growth
R.sok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.