Ghost shrimp?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Hawaii

Old 08-30-2012, 12:10 PM   #1
eco
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)

Ghost shrimp?

Eh Hawaiians, you guys know if that clear shrimp in the brackish ponds are ghost shrimp? You know the ones people catch and use as bait for aholehole's. I think it's call shidasa (Japanese)
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2012, 10:16 PM   #2
GmasterFJ
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

The name "ghost shrimp" applies to an entire genus name 'Palamonetes'. There are both brackish and fresh water species. I do believe that ghost shrimp can survive small amounts of salinity but if you are finding clear shrimp in blatantly brakish water, I do not think they are the common ghost shrimp you can buy at Coral Fish. What were you planning on using them for? Bait?
GmasterFJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 02:12 AM   #3
eco
Planted Tank Obsessed

No not bait but a lot of fishermen in Hilo do use them as bait. I caught about 10 and dropped them in my plant only tank in my garage hoping thay would control the algae. They didn't eat the hair algae but I'm sure theyre eating something in there. Also they survived pretty well in an all freshwater tank. The only reason why they died is because the tank sprang a leak and they couldn't handle a fresh uncycled tank. I am getting more this week since the new "garage" tank is now cycled.
Old 10-18-2012, 02:22 AM   #4
GmasterFJ
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Wow right on. Wish I could keep an aquarium in my garage but it gets way too hot. BTW what is that black shrimp in your hand in your profile picture?
GmasterFJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 01:25 AM   #5
eco
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by GmasterFJ View Post
Wow right on. Wish I could keep an aquarium in my garage but it gets way too hot. BTW what is that black shrimp in your hand in your profile picture?
Not my hand. Not even my shrimp lol. That's my dream shrimp. I believe it's a wild black shrimp from Japan. One day, one day!