What earphones do you use? - Page 6
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Forums > The Lounge & Introductions

Old 10-25-2012, 01:39 AM   #76
GeToChKn
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Sennheisser HD218's. They were free. Some customer broke the jack on them getting the cable caught on something and didn't want to pay $10 to fix $80 headphones, so he left them. I put a new jack on them and good as new.

Sony MDR-XD200 that I got dirt cheap on a boxing day sale. I can actually mix pretty good on them, fairly flat and things transfer pretty good when I mix with them for the odd remix I still have time to do.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
GeToChKn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2012, 07:16 AM   #77
Smitty06
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

I would like to add in that some headphones are more for one genre than another. You may not realize it, but the headphones/ earbuds always sound better when you are listening to one type of genre that they specialize more in than the other. I am young and I like rap, and beats blow out many others when compared in that. For slow classical and stuff like that, get the ones that many of you are talking about. Thank You.
Smitty06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2012, 04:42 AM   #78
Da Plant Man
Nerd Alert.

PTrader: (74/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Plant Man View Post
Skullcandy ink'd 2 are pretty good and rather cheap. They have great customer service too. If you happen to break them or something, you get 50% for a replacement if it was your fault, and if it was their fault, you get a free replacement. My only complaint is that the rubber part falls off easy. I have gone through 4 already, but it only costs $5 for 6.
Forgive me, Audiophiles, for what I have said. I take it back. ALL BACK.

I had thought skullcandy was good, but that was just because i hadn't heard good headphones. My budget was $30 and I came up with Panasonic RP-HTX7-R1. They should be here tomorrow. I am going on a road trip to Tennesee and then back up to St. Louis for the AGA convention and back to Ohio. During that time, I am going to burn them in and see how I like them. If not, back to Amazon they go and I am doing a little more research next time.

Which pair or overear closed headphones would you guys recommend for $40 or under (that already pushing my budget...)? I LOVE bass. Thats my main goal is get that good ole' bass.

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
"99% of the time, a fish tank with plants will fail. Once you start a dedicated planted tank with fish, then you begin to succeed." - Geniusdudekiran
Da Plant Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2012, 04:58 AM   #79
Nubster
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

Quote:

Which pair or overear closed headphones would you guys recommend for $40 or under (that already pushing my budget...)? I LOVE bass. Thats my main goal is get that good ole' bass.
Probably nothing worthy buying to be honest. I mean you can likely find some sort of cheap headphones that will give you fart like bass, but nothing that I can imagine would be of any quality. If I think of anything, I'll post it up but in all seriousness, you'll really have to up the budget to get something decent sounding.

If you'll consider an IEM, the Vsonic GR02 Bass Edition is a really decent little earphone that can be had for around $36 shipped off no ebay links allowed They have good mids and highs and pretty low hitting bass. Really, for the cost, they are a steal and the whole Vsonic lineup is really a fantastic budget friendly earphone with some great offerings.
EVIL Camera Pimp member #1
NIKON Pimp Club member #012
SunSun Pimp Club member #069

20L OEBT/Super Tiger/PFR Tank 20L Yellow Neo tank

Nubster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2012, 05:01 AM   #80
robbowal
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
haha...yeah, I just had a pair of the RE-262 IMEs before I got the Ety's. I returned them after getting the Etymotics cause I knew I'd never use them again...haha
Nubster
just had a chance to check online if Ety still do the custom tips.
and the do check the link

http://www.etymotic.com/customfit/register.aspx

if you go this route you will never look back the difference is amazing.
Canon Pimp Club #003
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
"Living in the lap of luxury isn`t bad, except you never know when luxury is going to stand up." Orson Welles
robbowal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2012, 05:06 AM   #81
Nubster
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbowal View Post
Nubster
just had a chance to check online if Ety still do the custom tips.
and the do check the link

http://www.etymotic.com/customfit/register.aspx

if you go this route you will never look back the difference is amazing.
Nice. THANKS!!! for that. I am definitely checking it out, especially since I fell in to a little free money today

Old 10-26-2012, 05:07 AM   #82
robbowal
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Forgive me, Audiophiles, for what I have said. I take it back. ALL BACK.

I had thought skullcandy was good, but that was just because i hadn't heard good headphones. My budget was $30 and I came up with Panasonic RP-HTX7-R1. They should be here tomorrow. I am going on a road trip to Tennesee and then back up to St. Louis for the AGA convention and back to Ohio. During that time, I am going to burn them in and see how I like them. If not, back to Amazon they go and I am doing a little more research next time.

Da Plant Man
These are well respected on headfi and only a little over your budget i know they are not over ear but at your price range its not going to happen (need to triple it at least) to get a halfway decent closed back can

http://head-direct.com/Products/?act=detail&id=38

They should have decent bass as well (Frequency response: 15Hz ~ 22KHZ) the first number is the one you want to look at, the lower the better as far as bass is concerned. You may need a portable amp to realy get the best from them. (disclimer: i am not resposible for the loss of paper money from your wallet)
Canon Pimp Club #003
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
"Living in the lap of luxury isn`t bad, except you never know when luxury is going to stand up." Orson Welles

Last edited by robbowal; 10-26-2012 at 05:13 AM.. Reason: added info
robbowal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2012, 05:19 AM   #83
Nubster
Planted Tank Guru

I will say that the HiFiMan IEM's are really good. I had a pair of the RE-262's and they are fantastic. I ended up returning them though after I got my Ety's cause the Re-262 can't hold a candle to the Etymotics. But, for the money, they are fantastic, but a bit out of your budget at $150...and they are not bass heavy...very mid forward which I personally love. The RE-0 may be better in that regard, I haven't listened to them, but in general, the HiFiMan stuff is good.

For great bass on the cheap I still stand by my suggestion for the GR02 Bass. In fact, I am listening to some 311 through them now and the bass is deep and there's lots of it. I don't have much time on these yet so I suspect they may even improve with some time. Definitely worth the $36 I spent on them.

For closed over the ear, I can't really back it with anything but reviews, but you might look at the Equation Audio RP-15MC or the Panasonic RP-HTF600-S, or even the Sony MDR-XB500 which are supposed to be bass monsters. The Sony MDR-XB700 is even better though they range up around $80. You may need to stretch the budget to $50ish, but certainly any of these can be found for less than $60, likely at $50 or even less except the last Sony if you shop around. The Sony's would be my top choice.

Or if you really want to sssstttttttrrrrrrrreeeeeeettttttccccccccchhhhhhhhh hhhhhh that budget, the Denon D2000 are a hifi bass lover's dream.

Heck, I might even grab a pair of the Sony XB500 for shts and giggles. I need a super bassy headphone since I sold my Beyerdynamics...which are another great choice, but also another pricey one that needs an amp.

Last edited by Nubster; 10-26-2012 at 06:15 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 10-26-2012, 01:22 PM   #84
Da Plant Man
Nerd Alert.

Why does all the good things in life have to cost so much? Gahh!

Once I get a job, I will save for a $100-$150 pair, but I'll play with the Panasonics I am getting and see if it will hold me over until then.

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
"99% of the time, a fish tank with plants will fail. Once you start a dedicated planted tank with fish, then you begin to succeed." - Geniusdudekiran
Old 10-26-2012, 01:32 PM   #85
Nubster
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Why does all the good things in life have to cost so much? Gahh!
Yeah, no kiddin'. If they don't, I really think that the Sony XB500 will be the best bet. I've been looking at them myself since last night, seems that $50-60 is about the average going price for them at the moment. If I find a better deal on them, I'll post up just in case you're interested or if anyone else is interested.

Old 10-26-2012, 08:37 PM   #86
Da Plant Man
Nerd Alert.

Maybe. I got these panasonics today and I am listening on them right now. So far, its okay, but geared far more to the higher notes. It has decent bass but not like I am wanting. I do have to say I love the feel of them. They are VERY comfortable.

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
Old 11-07-2012, 05:48 PM   #87
k2x5
Algae Grower

Not to completely hijak this thread or anything... but maybe just a little.

I've always wanted a couple good pairs of headphones... what would you suggest?

Listening Material:
- A few video games
- Movies
- Audiobooks of varying qualities (Often LibriVox)
- A bit of music (country, rock a little metal)

Listening locations:
- In airport
- On plane (Couple times a month)
- In somewhat noisy truck
- At desk at work
- On couch beside wife (I have no intention of listening to her soap operas, reality tv shows, etc. but I do prefer to hang out with the family, even if I'm watching/listening something else)

Basically, they have to be conveniently portable, and be able to handle the outside noise when I travel.

Budget: up to about $80-$100.
Style: I have none... Oh, wait; prefer on/over ear, but earbuds a possibility.

Thanks for any advice!
k2x5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2012, 05:52 PM   #88
orchidman
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

after having these philips she3590 for a little while, i can tell you that i really like them! its amazing that they only cost me $6!
orchidman is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2012, 06:31 PM   #89
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

How did I not see this thread before. High fidelity music is another one of my hobbies

I'm currently using a pair of Denon AD-2000 with a Fiio E17 as DAC/amp out of my laptop listening to FLAC. I have some Audio Technica A700x as well as a pair of Hifiman ReZero's (inner ear) for outdoor listening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2x5 View Post
Not to completely hijak this thread or anything... but maybe just a little.

I've always wanted a couple good pairs of headphones... what would you suggest?

Listening Material:
- A few video games
- Movies
- Audiobooks of varying qualities (Often LibriVox)
- A bit of music (country, rock a little metal)

Listening locations:
- In airport
- On plane (Couple times a month)
- In somewhat noisy truck
- At desk at work
- On couch beside wife (I have no intention of listening to her soap operas, reality tv shows, etc. but I do prefer to hang out with the family, even if I'm watching/listening something else)

Basically, they have to be conveniently portable, and be able to handle the outside noise when I travel.

Budget: up to about $80-$100.
Style: I have none... Oh, wait; prefer on/over ear, but earbuds a possibility.

Thanks for any advice!
Maybe the Hifiman's ReZero would be good for you (they are inner ear). Since you have a lot of locations that you use your headphones at, I assume portability is an issue. In addition, anything open would be out of the question, since you listen to them at work, on the airplane, etc and wouldn't want to disturb the people next to you (again, I assume...)

If portability is not an issue, there are always some closed headphones (Audio Technica M50s, etc) that you might be able to snag at that price range if they are on sale/open box.

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2012, 07:10 PM   #90
chevyguy8893
Planted Member

PTrader: (11/100%)

My nicer earbuds are Klipsch Image S4's, which are the only higher end ones, within my budget, that I liked. They have a really nice balance of lows, mids, and highs on both my macbook and galaxy nexus. They also seem much more comfortable since I use them for hours on end, and sound isolation is decent so the levels can stay lower. I don't use any audio enhancements with them, generally a flat eq. sounds really good somehow.

The other pair I have are skullcandy titans which are a little heavier on the bass, but aren't bad overall. They get used on my phone when I am out on the road bike since I don't want something to happen to the Klipsch headphones. Someday, it would be nice to have a good pair of over-the-ear headphones.
chevyguy8893 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.