What earphones do you use? - Page 4
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Forums > The Lounge & Introductions


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2012, 10:54 PM   #46
orchidman
Planted Tank Guru
 
orchidman's Avatar
 
PTrader: (18/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 7,421
Default

i think he is trying to ask how can it be a good product when it brakes so often
orchidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-24-2012, 02:18 AM   #47
orchidman
Planted Tank Guru
 
orchidman's Avatar
 
PTrader: (18/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 7,421
Default

Just picked up a pair of Philips SHE3590s! the bass really blows me out of the water! i love it! so much better then the Mee M9, which was muddy! they sound great! my brother got some skullcandy ink'ds today and we tried them both together and the she3590 has way better bass. the ink'ds are a little louder over all, but the bass is as good.
orchidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:38 AM   #48
robbowal
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
robbowal's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: london UK
Posts: 528
Default

acitydweller
If you want to have the e5c reshelled into custom IEMs you will never look back.
look at uniquemelody for reshells. also check out headfi.org (and as they say on there "sorry for wallet")
I use a set of SE530 reshelled with a RSA Hornet amp and Ipod classic and lossless files, all i can say is pure listening heaven.
I can travel on the tube (live in london) and not hear the other people or train noise.
It is admittedly an expensive portable rig but it is worth every penny for the sanity it brings to my commute.
__________________
Canon Pimp Club #003
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
"Living in the lap of luxury isn`t bad, except you never know when luxury is going to stand up." Orson Welles
robbowal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:47 AM   #49
robbowal
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
robbowal's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: london UK
Posts: 528
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
Sounds like not such an awesome product then. Crappy headphones have their place I guess. Bad thing is, once you listen to a headphone that is actually quality, and no, Skullcandy falls FAR, FAR from this category, then it's nearly impossible to listen to crap headphones again.
+1 on the above
All i can say is i nearly went mental while my shures were away to be reshelled. Like Nubster says once you actually hear a decent set of cans there is no going back.
__________________
Canon Pimp Club #003
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
"Living in the lap of luxury isn`t bad, except you never know when luxury is going to stand up." Orson Welles
robbowal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:11 AM   #50
MABJ
Invert Warrior
 
MABJ's Avatar
 
PTrader: (14/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NY
Posts: 3,883
Default

I don't know about all the complaints about muddy beats, but I like my Beats Solos a lot.

Don't try to tell me I'm listening to mud, as I've tried studio headphones, and these aren't poor quality. If you own an ADA aquarium and tell me Beats are only for people looking for a fashion accessory, get off your high horse.

I'm not saying they're the best quality out there, but I do love the way they look, feel and sound. For that, I was more than willing to go with them, and for a year I haven't been disappointed. I've had a lot of cheap headphones break on me, and these, at least, are durable as hell, so that alone is worth it to me.


MABJ's iDevice used for this message :p
__________________
|Mossy Bonsai|Almost ADA|DBP Loonnng|CRS Spec|
|My Tanks ʌ | Shrimp advice v|
|Essential tools|List of inverts|Sage advice|Truth About Snails|
Mark A Belcher Junior, founder -- DBP Club.
MABJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:23 AM   #51
orchidman
Planted Tank Guru
 
orchidman's Avatar
 
PTrader: (18/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 7,421
Default

one thing im not fond of with the SHE3590 is the cord and the shells and stuff seem cheaply made (they are $7 earbuds after all) they just dont seem real durable.
orchidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:29 AM   #52
tobystanton
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
tobystanton's Avatar
 
PTrader: (4/83%)
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: honolulu
Posts: 314
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MABJ View Post
I don't know about all the complaints about muddy beats, but I like my Beats Solos a lot.

Don't try to tell me I'm listening to mud, as I've tried studio headphones, and these aren't poor quality. If you own an ADA aquarium and tell me Beats are only for people looking for a fashion accessory, get off your high horse.

I'm not saying they're the best quality out there, but I do love the way they look, feel and sound. For that, I was more than willing to go with them, and for a year I haven't been disappointed. I've had a lot of cheap headphones break on me, and these, at least, are durable as hell, so that alone is worth it to me.


MABJ's iDevice used for this message :p
The problem with beats is that they use low quality components, the drivers you find in them are the same exact drivers used in 15-20$ Chinese headsets. In fact there is a comparison on head-fi forums with real Monster beats and knock off ones, the knock off outperformed the beats in ever single test.

The difference between that and ADA is that ADA uses the highest quality materials available. ADA is more comparable to Sennheiser or Audio-technica then Monster Beats.

What people don't like about beats is the cost performance ratio, for the price you can get headphones with much better sound quality.

This is the reason people treat the headphone as a fashion accessory, its endorsed by "Dr.Dre" and high profile actors and athletes but it lacks good sound quality (in comparison to other headsets in its price range).

If your used to using cheap and stock headphones/ear-buds then the beats is probably a big step up for you, but for those who know a thing or two about headphones, Beats are a huge waste of money.
tobystanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:54 PM   #53
MABJ
Invert Warrior
 
MABJ's Avatar
 
PTrader: (14/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NY
Posts: 3,883
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobystanton View Post
The problem with beats is that they use low quality components, the drivers you find in them are the same exact drivers used in 15-20$ Chinese headsets. In fact there is a comparison on head-fi forums with real Monster beats and knock off ones, the knock off outperformed the beats in ever single test.

The difference between that and ADA is that ADA uses the highest quality materials available. ADA is more comparable to Sennheiser or Audio-technica then Monster Beats.

What people don't like about beats is the cost performance ratio, for the price you can get headphones with much better sound quality.

This is the reason people treat the headphone as a fashion accessory, its endorsed by "Dr.Dre" and high profile actors and athletes but it lacks good sound quality (in comparison to other headsets in its price range).

If your used to using cheap and stock headphones/ear-buds then the beats is probably a big step up for you, but for those who know a thing or two about headphones, Beats are a huge waste of money.
I've never read those studies, but if that's true, I think it's unfortunate.

You missed my comparison. ADA and other aquariums all hold water, beats and other phones all play music. The thing is they both are just made to look nicer.

Let's take for example your sennheiser headphones hd 229. Probably a very similar product, as beats are made with RAP music in mind. (My Genre) The $20-30 price difference is notoriety, rap performance and style.

I wouldn't be able to put those headphones on, and I despise the in ear style headphones. I frequently would accidentally yank them out of my ear. Very painful.

In my opinion, if you are trying to use beats for anything other than rap, you probably would be disappointed. I like them more than anything I've used for that. Like I said, I have tried studio phones (I've worked at several radio stations) but I'm not prepared to drop $250 on Bose or $450 on higher quality studio headphones.

For its low price, I like it. I understand you probably can pick up a better set in a similar range, but when they look like space garbage... They belong in such an environment.


MABJ's iDevice used for this message :p
__________________
|Mossy Bonsai|Almost ADA|DBP Loonnng|CRS Spec|
|My Tanks ʌ | Shrimp advice v|
|Essential tools|List of inverts|Sage advice|Truth About Snails|
Mark A Belcher Junior, founder -- DBP Club.
MABJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:46 PM   #54
orchidman
Planted Tank Guru
 
orchidman's Avatar
 
PTrader: (18/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 7,421
Default

the great thing is, nobody is forcing anyone to you any headphones, we can all use whichever we like
orchidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:55 PM   #55
MABJ
Invert Warrior
 
MABJ's Avatar
 
PTrader: (14/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NY
Posts: 3,883
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by orchidman View Post
the great thing is, nobody is forcing anyone to you any headphones, we can all use whichever we like
Oh I know. Just far too much Beat-Bashing goin' on!


MABJ's iDevice used for this message :p
__________________
|Mossy Bonsai|Almost ADA|DBP Loonnng|CRS Spec|
|My Tanks ʌ | Shrimp advice v|
|Essential tools|List of inverts|Sage advice|Truth About Snails|
Mark A Belcher Junior, founder -- DBP Club.
MABJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:13 PM   #56
Nubster
Planted Tank Guru
 
Nubster's Avatar
 
PTrader: (16/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Romney, West Virginia
Posts: 3,498
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MABJ View Post
I've never read those studies, but if that's true, I think it's unfortunate.

You missed my comparison. ADA and other aquariums all hold water, beats and other phones all play music. The thing is they both are just made to look nicer.

Let's take for example your sennheiser headphones hd 229. Probably a very similar product, as beats are made with RAP music in mind. (My Genre) The $20-30 price difference is notoriety, rap performance and style.

I wouldn't be able to put those headphones on, and I despise the in ear style headphones. I frequently would accidentally yank them out of my ear. Very painful.

In my opinion, if you are trying to use beats for anything other than rap, you probably would be disappointed. I like them more than anything I've used for that. Like I said, I have tried studio phones (I've worked at several radio stations) but I'm not prepared to drop $250 on Bose or $450 on higher quality studio headphones.

For its low price, I like it. I understand you probably can pick up a better set in a similar range, but when they look like space garbage... They belong in such an environment.


MABJ's iDevice used for this message :p
If it makes you feel better, keep justifying your purchase. Truth is, want ti believe it or not, Beat are garbage. Their success comes from the marketing department, not the research and development department. You just told us part of the issue, studio headphones...those are not make for music, so of course music won't sound great through them.

There are quite a few headphones that are at or below the price of Beats that will destroy them in sound quality. That's the truth, live with it.

Music format. I'd suspect that if you are not serious enough about your music to get a decent headphone, such as the Beats, you are probably also listening to mp3 files. Low rate ones at that, probably off iTunes or someplace similar. mp3 sounds like junk through a good headphone. Kinda like a RAW file compared to a JPEG in photography. You don't get all the information. mp3's are compressed to such a small file, there isn't room for everything so parts of the file are discarded.

Dropping $250 on Bose? You might as well wipe your butt with the money cause you won't be improving your situation much, if at all. $250 can get you a very good headphone. $450 can get you something leagues beyond anything you've ever heard before.

So in short, enjoy your Beats and defend them all you want. Anyone serious into audio knows that they aren't worth the plastic they are made from. That's all that matters to me, is that I know better. The sheep's wool hasn't been pulled over my eyes. It takes 15-20 minutes of research to come up with about a dozen much better alternatives to what you have at the same or less cost, but since you are happy with what you perceive as high quality music representation, whatever...enjoy your mud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MABJ View Post
but when they look like space garbage... They belong in such an environment.
This is exacly why Beats are referred to as fashion accessories. Because owners of them, when they have nothing left to say, always pull out the looks vs sound quality saying that they'd rather have something that looks good than something that sounds good, which is pretty sad. I'd rather stick dog turds into my ears if they are going to sound awesome rather than some fashionable second rate hunks of over hyped Chinese made plastic. But that's just me....YMMV.
__________________
EVIL Camera Pimp member #1
NIKON Pimp Club member #012
SunSun Pimp Club member #069

20L OEBT/Super Tiger/PFR Tank 20L Yellow Neo tank

Nubster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:19 PM   #57
Nubster
Planted Tank Guru
 
Nubster's Avatar
 
PTrader: (16/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Romney, West Virginia
Posts: 3,498
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MABJ View Post
Oh I know. Just far too much Beat-Bashing goin' on!


MABJ's iDevice used for this message :p
Cause it's so easy to do.
__________________
EVIL Camera Pimp member #1
NIKON Pimp Club member #012
SunSun Pimp Club member #069

20L OEBT/Super Tiger/PFR Tank 20L Yellow Neo tank

Nubster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:21 PM   #58
Nubster
Planted Tank Guru
 
Nubster's Avatar
 
PTrader: (16/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Romney, West Virginia
Posts: 3,498
Default

Oh, and just to add something for those that appreciate quality audio equipment...I just recently picked up a pair of Etymotic ER-4S IEM's...all I can say is that they are eargasmic!!! If you've never listened to a pair of Ety's...do yourself a favor and find some to audition.
__________________
EVIL Camera Pimp member #1
NIKON Pimp Club member #012
SunSun Pimp Club member #069

20L OEBT/Super Tiger/PFR Tank 20L Yellow Neo tank

Nubster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:38 PM   #59
tobystanton
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
tobystanton's Avatar
 
PTrader: (4/83%)
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: honolulu
Posts: 314
Default

On a side note, Monster does make some nice cables, and not all there headphones are junk. The Monster Turbines normal/gold/copper are some pretty nice IEM's (owned all 3 at one point).
tobystanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:45 PM   #60
Nubster
Planted Tank Guru
 
Nubster's Avatar
 
PTrader: (16/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Romney, West Virginia
Posts: 3,498
Default

Yeah, it's not so much that Monster is junk, just the Beats lineup. I've read decent things about the Turbines and the Miles Davis editions though I've never had the chance to give them a listen. I actually have some Monster cables and they are pretty good.
__________________
EVIL Camera Pimp member #1
NIKON Pimp Club member #012
SunSun Pimp Club member #069

20L OEBT/Super Tiger/PFR Tank 20L Yellow Neo tank

Nubster is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Planted Tank LLC 2012