What earphones do you use? - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Forums > The Lounge & Introductions

Old 09-14-2012, 03:07 AM   #31
Nubster
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

For another cheap awesome sounding headphone, check out the koss portaPro.
EVIL Camera Pimp member #1
NIKON Pimp Club member #012
SunSun Pimp Club member #069

20L OEBT/Super Tiger/PFR Tank 20L Yellow Neo tank

Nubster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2012, 03:15 AM   #32
In.a.Box
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Dr dre headphone.
In.a.Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 03:55 AM   #33
Nubster
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by In.a.Box View Post
Dr dre headphone.
Yeah, Beats are great if you like listening to mud.

Old 09-14-2012, 01:28 PM   #34
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (175/100%)

Nub,

You made me spit out my coffee reading your post. ROFL

be nice
Old 09-14-2012, 03:19 PM   #35
orchidman
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by acitydweller View Post
OMG. just received these philips SHE3582. I am actually amazed with how these $7 phones sound. To give you an idea of my baseline, my daily phones are the Shure E5C's. Paid $499 for these 8 years ago and have really earned their keep many times over.

I picked up a few pairs of sub $20 sony ear buds over the years on trips and were disappointed upon initial use. These SHE3580's are a hidden gem.

The Bose IEMs sound nice but they have a particular sound signature and range. They shine in the mids but not particularly well in the highs or lows as a universal. I'm not particularly fond of big brands and more interested in finding quality regardless of make, the proverbial diamond in the rough with all things. If you are up for trying something new, i'd say these $7 phones are worth considering.

Here's more info incase anyone's interested: Philips 3580 IEMs
im not a music buff or anything, but im a musician so i can kind of tell wahts good quality and not. about a month ago i got a pair of Mee m9's the reviews i read online were good and i got them for $12 shipped, cant go wrong there.im dissapointed in these earbuds! i feel like my Skullcandy dubs were better than these. the double silicone earbud is nice for sound isolation, but why isolate sound when the new sound doesnt blow you away? they also broke within a month of medium-light use! the earbud fell into two pieces when i was taking it out of my ear! not yanking it out, slowly taking it out.. fell apart. i talked to the place i got them and they are sending me a replacement pair. hopefully this one is better. if not, im trying to Phillips! thanks for the recomendation! i think ive seen those at walmart and other stores.. is it just that model? or any phillips buds?
orchidman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 03:31 PM   #36
freph
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)

Currently using the SOL Republic Amps HD. They've got a weird fit at first, but you get used to them. Good sound and bassy. Not bad for $100 imo. My buddy has a pair of Logitech's Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10 that he grabbed off of Amazon's lightening deals for like $70 (retails at $168.52 on Amazon). Darn good earbuds as well.
Old 09-14-2012, 04:05 PM   #37
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

Quote:
Originally Posted by orchidman View Post
im not a music buff or anything, but im a musician so i can kind of tell wahts good quality and not. about a month ago i got a pair of Mee m9's the reviews i read online were good and i got them for $12 shipped, cant go wrong there.im dissapointed in these earbuds! i feel like my Skullcandy dubs were better than these. the double silicone earbud is nice for sound isolation, but why isolate sound when the new sound doesnt blow you away? they also broke within a month of medium-light use! the earbud fell into two pieces when i was taking it out of my ear! not yanking it out, slowly taking it out.. fell apart. i talked to the place i got them and they are sending me a replacement pair. hopefully this one is better. if not, im trying to Phillips! thanks for the recomendation! i think ive seen those at walmart and other stores.. is it just that model? or any phillips buds?
Neither am i, i mainly watch videos on the subway and listen to music when i'm writing at work. I have to admit, i probably came across these philips in the past and skipped them due to the cheapo packaging. I'll be first to admit they look cutsy and not professional audiophile cans by any means. Look for the SHE3580s or SHE3590s (newer version) with the same drivers. The last digit will vary depending on the color. The other philips models are reported to be nothing special so go for the ones listed.By accounts from other headphone fanatics, the SHE9700 is an all around upgrade for the SHE3580/90s with more clarity and deeper bass. I ordered both and fortunately these $7 ones came first.

I checked CVS/Walreens/Staples/officemax and none had this particular model so i had to turn to shno ebay links allowed I hear others found them at TJmaxx and target but they aren't convenient for me to visit. Honestly, i was about to order another set of Etymotic HF5's since mine were lost but wanted to try something new that was nearly as good. I don't think anyone will complain about the sound quality on these guys. For $7, if these disintegrated in my hears, i could easily afford another 21 pairs for the amount of those HF5s. lol.

Ive heard good things about those triple fi's as well but the design has remained for a number of years now.
Old 09-14-2012, 04:12 PM   #38
orchidman
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by acitydweller View Post
Neither am i, i mainly watch videos on the subway and listen to music when i'm writing at work. I have to admit, i probably came across these philips in the past and past on them coz of the cheapo packaging. I'll be first to admit they dont look as good as they sound... maybe even cutsy if you made me say it. You will have to look for the SHE3580s or SHE3590s (newer version) with the same drivers. The last digit will vary depending on the color. By accounts from other headphone fanatics, the SHE9700 is an all around upgrade for the SHE3580/90s with more clarity and deeper bass. I ordered both and fortunately these $7 ones came first.

I checked CVS/Walreens/Staples/officemax and none had this particular model so i had to turn to shno ebay links allowed I hear others found them at TJmaxx and target but they aren't convenient for me to visit. The other philips models are reported to be nothing special so go for the ones I listed. Honestly, i was about to just order another set of Etymotic HF5's since mine was lost but wanted to try something new that was nearly as good. I dont think anyone will complain about the sound quality on these guys. For $7, if these disintegrated in my hears, i could easily afford another 21 pairs for the amount i was willing to pay for those HF5s. lol.
yeah they look cheap! so i never bought them! my mistake! haha! im pretty sure ive seen them at tj maxx, marshalls, or ross
orchidman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 04:19 PM   #39
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (435/100%)

I've been using Koss Sparkplug for five or six years with no complaints. Primarily because they're super-cheap and fit comfortably in nearly any ear.

For $10, they far surpass any other cheap earbud I've tried.

Last edited by somewhatshocked; 09-14-2012 at 08:52 PM.. Reason: Ugh - spelling/grammar
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:37 PM   #40
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

update: im breaking in the 9700.

Initial impression: sounds bright and clear. more difficult to get a good seal for bass but its there. just not easy to seal like i said. cant say im completely sold on these yet but the 3580/3590's are a win for sure. i have them running over night to help get these burned in sooner. easier to get a nice seal with stock tips.

for these 9700, i may have to swap the tips for the sony hybrids or the shure ones i have laying around then retest...
Old 09-17-2012, 07:29 PM   #41
tokpaler
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I mainly use the AKG 518 for editing stuff, it's not reference i know but price-wise, portability and its closed back design keeps all the other sounds at bay.

The Marshall Major sounds okay too for it's price, plus it's a bit cooler looking (better sounding) than the beats IMO.

I liked my Bose triport acoustic in-ear, highs sound nice and clear and bass is just enough not to make it sound muddy, comfortable too. But I find that I need to pump the volume louder since they're not the sound-isolating type.

To the thread starter: since you've been using Sony, have you considered the MDR7506? It's what we use for field sound, pretty decent for it's price compared to the more 'professional' ones.

Last edited by tokpaler; 09-17-2012 at 07:38 PM.. Reason: added info
tokpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:58 PM   #42
cookymonster760
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (59/90%)

not sure if any one has mentioned the skull candies they have the cheapest earphones and for that price you get an awesome product although i hate when the conection gets loose and the earphones stop working altogether
cookymonster760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:09 PM   #43
Cento
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

My two cents... Klipsch image s4i.... Literally best bang for buck. Google it. One of the best all round in ear buds and rated by many to be better then buds costing 8x as much...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Cento

PIMP #427 - 2 x 2213, 1 x 2206, 1 x Surface Extractor
Cento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:20 PM   #44
Nubster
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookymonster760 View Post
not sure if any one has mentioned the skull candies they have the cheapest earphones and for that price you get an awesome product although i hate when the conection gets loose and the earphones stop working altogether
Sounds like not such an awesome product then. Crappy headphones have their place I guess. Bad thing is, once you listen to a headphone that is actually quality, and no, Skullcandy falls FAR, FAR from this category, then it's nearly impossible to listen to crap headphones again.

Old 09-17-2012, 10:44 PM   #45
cookymonster760
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (59/90%)

oh no believe me i have a pair of beats along with a pair of bose noise cancelators but skull candies where my first earphones so i guess the brand holds this sentimental value
cookymonster760 is offline   Reply With Quote