120 Extra High Planted Discus Tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 02-08-2014, 05:35 PM   #1
flutterbug
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

120 Extra High Planted Discus Tank

Here's my work in progress, Marineland Extra High 120 Dimensions 60" x 18" x 26" High
Low Tech, Root Tabs from Planted Aquarium Fertilizer. (Which are due to be replenished.) Pool Filter Sand substrate;

Alternanthera reineckii; Ammannia gracilis; Anubias barteri var. nana; Anubias barteri var. nana 'Petite'; Aponogeton sp. unknow; Bacopa caroliniana (Lemon Bacopa); Bacopa monnieri (Moneywort); (Water Sprite); Ceratopteris thalictroides (Water Sprite); Cryptocoryne species unknown ~ Possibly C. wendtii; Cryptocoryne wendtii ‘Green Gecko’; Cryptocoryne spiralis; Cyperus helferi; Echinodorus argentinensis or Possibly E. uruguayensis ~ Labeled with both names! (Argentine Sword); Hemianthus micranthemoides (Pearl Grass); Heteranthera zosterifolia (Star Grass); Hydrocotyle leucocephala (Brazilian Pennywort); Hygrophila corymbosa stricta ‘Kompacta’; Hygrophila corymbosa 'Angustifolia'; Hygrophila difformis (Water Wisteria); Hygrophila polysperma 'Rosanervig'; Lilaeopsis brasiliensis (Micro Sword); *Ludwigia repens (Broadleaf Ludwigia); Marsilea sp. (Four Leaf Clover); Microsorum pteropus (Java Fern); Nymphaea stellata rubra (Dwarf Red Lily); Rotala rotundifolia (a.k.a. Rotala Indica); Sagittaria subulata; Taxiphyllum sp. ’Peacock Moss’

7 Discus (3 Blue Turks; 3 Red Turks; 1 Blue Diamond)
3 SAE, 1 Otto; 2 Ammano Shrimp; Dwindling schools of Cardinals (5) and Rasboras (5)

Sun Sun 304 B (525 gph model with UV) I don't run the UV except occasionally after water changes and then I noticed the Discus acting funny... coincidence? maybe..
Aquaclear 70
2 - 300 watt heaters (although 1 Hydor Theo was keeping the tank just fine)

Still using my Odyssea 48" Quad with timer from my old 55 gallon. Only 3 bulbs work, the moonlights burnt out the first time I ran them and the replacements did the same, so I added 4 True Lumen Blue Moonlights on a timer.
On the Odyssea, I run 2 of the 3 bulbs from 10 am to 7 pm with a noon burst from the 3rd. I am using 1 Wave Point 6500K (Tropical Wave) & 1 Wave Point Color Wave (formally Red Wave) http://www.wave-point.com/images/LampMain2_enlarge.jpg The noon burst is from a Flora Sun 5000K bulb.
I also run some Hidden LEDs from Marineland on a timer. An hour before and after the Odyssea runs. This is just to extend my viewing period as the LEDs are fish only strength.

I have found it very hard to get pictures with the pool filter sand substrate. I finally got a decent camera and here are my first shots at playing with the semi manual settings.

55 gallon

Last edited by flutterbug; 02-08-2014 at 10:57 PM.. Reason: Typo
flutterbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2014, 01:27 AM   #2
Matsnork
Planted Tank Obsessed

Nice fish and tank! Beautiful discus.

The scape needs a little work. How about leaving an open area and plant/scape what you have more densely? It looks a bit to spread out an flat as is.
Matsnork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 01:36 AM   #3
woodsjail.
Algae Grower

Very nice! seems like it will fill in and just be a show case of plants!
woodsjail. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 04:59 AM   #4
phoenixkiller
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (28/100%)

Lookin' sweet! I agree, a re-scape wouldn't be a bad idea, but beautiful discus! Subbed!
Grow shrimp twice
phoenixkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 05:34 AM   #5
Jonnywhoop
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (20/100%)

Whats your water maintenance for your tank? I've always wanted discus but I am afraid I won't be able to give them my undivided attention.
Jonnywhoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 01:34 AM   #6
flutterbug
Algae Grower

Sorry, I dropped off the face of the earth for a while. Just kidding, I do 50% water changes a week but I had them in a 55 gallon bare bottom and did 2 - 50% water changes a week until they were all at least 3 inches. (Not counting the fins.) The fish are all still healthy but they are no where near the monsters people on Simply Discus show. I also got the BD from Petco on a whim and the Turks a month later from a hobbyist (Not the big name Discus breeders) so who knows if that plays in to how big they can get. The BD was probably stunted when I got it. I've noticed as it's grow, It has a crooked spine.

I have some updated pics, the Wisteria is pretty much dead. I only have good luck with it in new set ups. I also have only used root tabs.

55 gallon
Old 08-04-2014, 04:38 AM   #7
jkan0228
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (115/100%)

I plan on adding some discus to my 95G soon. Care to shed some light on your parameters?
jkan0228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 02:42 PM   #8
exv152
Wannabe Guru

Your setup is well designed for adult discus and plants. Discus do better in low tech planted tanks with little ferts and no co2, and large weekly WCs. You could add some hygrophila polysperma which is one of the easiest plants and it would fill in nicely.

To grow out younger discus in a bare-bottom tank, it's a lot of work, but you'd have to basically change half the water daily, feed them with high protein like 4-6 times a day and keep them in at least 82 degrees F. Most juvies will grow to their potential in these conditions.

Nice setup!
7g cube
33g iwagumi cube
75g low tech angelfish tank
exv152 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 04:48 PM   #9
jmf3460
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/92%)

beautiful discus. and even more beautiful scape.
Old 08-26-2014, 03:21 PM   #10
flutterbug
Algae Grower

Thanks!
Lighting ~ I already had an Odysea 48" 4 bulb HO Fixture sitting right on top of the glass top. I only run 2 bulbs, one wave point tropical wave (65ooK) and one Red Wave. I was thinking of upgrading but it seems like the right amount of light for this tank being low tech. I actually still have some algae.
I had the Hygro Polysperma and it all died out. It did well in my old set up but not this one. I found one tiny piece floating and threw it in my little 6 gal to see if it would come back. I had the temps at about 84 or 85, now it's about 83. I think they need to be lower and I am more interested in my Discus health than keeping certain plants. I can always set up a different tank with lower temps. for other plants. I am planning to do a 4o gallon high tech sometime in the near future.

55 gallon
Old 08-26-2014, 04:41 PM   #11
shawn_c
Algae Grower

I wish I could get some Discus. Those things are worth their weight in gold down here in southern Arizona. Awesome looking tank!
shawn_c is offline   Reply With Quote