what should i do with planaria? - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 08-31-2012, 08:24 AM   #16
Paulcm10
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by garfieldnfish View Post
What will kill planaria, will also kill snails.
If you see 3 or 4 on the glass that means there are tons in the tank. Most tanks have them and most people are not aware that they have them. Once you see them on the glass, there are plenty in the tank. If you go with the no planaria or dog dewormer, remove as many snails as you can or you could end up with an ammonia spike from the decaying snail bodies. Also do not return the snails until several water changes later. I used it on a 2.5 gal tank. And even after totally emptying the tank and replacing the water, the added snails died within a day. It took 3 total gravel washes before the tank was safe for snails again. Since I have snails in all of my tanks, I will not use no planaria again. It did work like a charm on the planaria but within a month the first planaria showed up again. I believe they came via the gravel vac from other tanks. The planaria catcher did not work for me at all. Less food makes a difference but I doubt you will ever totally get rid of the critters. What I also found helpful is adding a flat rock, like slate. Planaria like to hide under flat rocks or decorations during the day. I remove these rocks once a day and wash them off. I am always amazed how many planaria I find this way, when in those tanks I don't even see them otherwise.
that is somewhat depressing to know that i will not get rid of planaria lol.
i do have MTS and they are tiny at the moment. but ill have a hard time trying to get them out =/.. also should i dose dewormer then use carbon to help get rid of the meds?
Paulcm10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2012, 08:34 AM   #17
shrimpzoo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

I used a dog dewormer called Panacur (1 gram) to get rid of hydra in my RCS tank a long while ago.

I had MTS in the tank and took the risk of using it. I had no MTS killed using it (my experience). If MTS is the only snails you are concerned about.

You can buy it at http://www.aquarliamshop.com/supplem...anacur-1-gram/

and the guys username in this forum is mordalphus I believe (if memory is correct). This stuff should kill planaria too.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:40 AM   #18
Paulcm10
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimpzoo View Post
I used a dog dewormer called Panacur (1 gram) to get rid of hydra in my RCS tank a long while ago.

I had MTS in the tank and took the risk of using it. I had no MTS killed using it (my experience). If MTS is the only snails you are concerned about.

You can buy it at http://www.aquarliamshop.com/supplem...anacur-1-gram/

and the guys username in this forum is mordalphus I believe (if memory is correct). This stuff should kill planaria too.
oh ok thanks!
i might look into that. i have a fenbendazole but i was told that kills any snails.
Paulcm10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
planaria, shrimps, snails

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.