Old 10 gal converted to a river tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 08-28-2012, 05:54 AM   #1
sketch804
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (44/100%)
Talking

Old 10 gal converted to a river tank

Okay well I have this 10 gal tank at my house that has been running for a good few years with just one leaf fish in it...well time to move him and try something different. I got a new job at an aquarium shop and the first fish I found there made me so happy because I had been looking for it for a year now, Gastromyzon ctenocephalus. Found this little sucker for half the price I bought him for a couple years ago. I was never able to keep these fish until now. I understand more about them and they need a cool environment and highly oxygenated water. Ha well I have a Fluval 205 on a 10 gal so regardless it gets water movement even with half the flow blocked. Well, all in all once it's finally (for the most part) done I am left with a nice little representation of a river with some vegetative cover, a nice split. I tried to represent both natural locations, minus the low flow the danio's enjoy. Hillstream loaches like rocks covered in algae and/or micro organisms, has crypts in between the rocks, and higher flow rate than most. Celestial pearl danio's come from a vegetative chocked lake with NO tannins in the water. Both enjoy cooler water so that's an easy one.

I do use ferts in this tank, once a week or two weeks I will use NPK and micro mix the next day, all DIY mixes. No CO2 what so ever! this is my version of a low tech, med light setup.

So specs are as follows:
-10 gal standard all glass aquarium
-Flourite Black sand, regular aquarium gravel and silicate sand
-13W Full spectrum CF lamp
-Fluval 205 with an airstone on the outflow pipe
-no heater as my house stays 74 for the summer, winter is another story

Fish:
-Snails
-Celestial pearl danio x 6
-Glo-Light danio x 1
-Gastromyzon ctenocephalus x 2

Plants:
-Cryptocoryne Nurii "Pahang Mutated"
-Cryptocoryne Nurii
-Cryptocoryne Lueta
-Cryptocoryne willisii
-Cryptocoryne parva
-Subwassertang
-Fiss. Fontanus "mini"
-Fiss. Fontanus
-anubias nana "Petite"
-anubias nana
-Anubias coffeefolia (thanks for the ID HybridHerp!!)
-Java fern ‘windelov’
-Java fern
-Java moss
-Flame moss
-Xmas moss
-Bucephalandra sp. "Lamandau Green"
-Bucephalandra sp. "Sekadau"
-Hygro Lancea
-Hygro Polysperma
-Star grass
-Rotala roundifolia
-"Frill" - dunno, bought years ago
*And probably more!

This particular setup has been done like this for a month and a half now. But the tank itself has been running for a long time..

Here are some pix:

FTS:

Fiss Fontanus:

Borneo hillstream Loach:

Another shot:

Cryptocoryne Nurii "Pahang Mutated":

Bucephalandra sp. "Sekadau":

Bucephalandra sp. "Lamandau Green":

My Celestial pearl danio, best CLEAR shot I could get:

So thanks for looking, would love any suggestions, constructive criticism, or just comments! This is all for now!

Last edited by sketch804; 09-04-2012 at 05:41 AM.. Reason: adding info
sketch804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2012, 05:57 AM   #2
stevenjohn21
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

looks great ! Cant believe its only a 10 gallon ....looks much bigger.
stevenjohn21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:22 AM   #3
ichise
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

nice ~ love the natural look

any algae so far ?

looking forward for more pics and update

Last edited by ichise; 08-28-2012 at 07:35 AM.. Reason: left out something
ichise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:56 PM   #4
QQQUUUUAADDD
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

13W is enough to grow all of them?
QQQUUUUAADDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:08 PM   #5
sketch804
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenjohn21 View Post
looks great ! Cant believe its only a 10 gallon ....looks much bigger.
Ha thank you much! ya it is way too many plants in this little box! but perspective is everything, some times it works out other times it fails horribly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichise View Post
nice ~ love the natural look

any algae so far ?

looking forward for more pics and update
Well, this tank has been through out many cycles of algae through out the years, but right now with my current setup I am dealing with very little algae which is both a good and bad thing. The worst thing I have is BBA on some crypts and rocks, but I would like to grow green algae on the rocks for the loaches. I do also have a little Green Spot Algae that I seem to deal with in every single tank I have, not bad but its there. But all in all I have never experienced anything truly bad with algae in here, always kept it lightly stocked. I had just one leaf fish in there for 1.5+ years with no algae eater but trumpet snails and it worked great. Thanks for the kind works, exactly what I am trying to go for, mostly the look of nature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QQQUUUUAADDD View Post
13W is enough to grow all of them?
For some reason, Yes. But most of my plants in this tank are low light plants minus the star grass and that is right under the light. I am trying to find another light that is the same one to add to this but having trouble finding it for a decent price. I can see the effects of the low light on certain parts of the tank in the lower sections that the lower leaves are missing but as long as I trim correctly then I can keep a bush looking nice.

Anyone know a good place to get some more celestial pearl danio's from for a good price? I prefer 100x over, Aquarium bred to wild populations, but they are in fact in no danger of being on the threatened list so either way.

Last edited by sketch804; 08-28-2012 at 06:13 PM.. Reason: correction
Old 08-29-2012, 02:16 PM   #6
QQQUUUUAADDD
Planted Member

Very cool. Hope to have my 10 look as nice as that.
QQQUUUUAADDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:50 PM   #7
Only One Haze
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Looking great Sketch! Having seen this tank in person it is awesome. Don't think you had the CPDs when I was there last time. Check with Rama about some more CPDs I know he had some a couple months ago, not sure if it's something he keeps all the time.

Side note...I'm gonna have to get one of those Nuriis from you, if you are ever willing to part with one haha. That thing is sick!
Only One Haze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 04:23 PM   #8
HybridHerp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)

great looking tank, love the plants and of course that hillstream loach
btw, I think that anubias that you think is "nan" might be cofferelia since it has more wrinkles in the leaf.
Also, I want your C. nurii lol
Mom's Spec V:http://tinyurl.com/qjt3rw2
HybridHerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:10 PM   #9
kamikazi
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Cryptocoryne Nurii "Pahang Mutated"
Awesome looking crypt, I need to get one for my tank
kamikazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:18 PM   #10
fishboy199413
Planted Tank Obsessed

Wow this is an amazing looking 10 gallon. The way you scaped the tank makes it look so much bigger. I wish my 10 looked this good.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:31 PM   #11
sketch804
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only One Haze View Post
Looking great Sketch! Having seen this tank in person it is awesome. Don't think you had the CPDs when I was there last time. Check with Rama about some more CPDs I know he had some a couple months ago, not sure if it's something he keeps all the time.

Side note...I'm gonna have to get one of those Nuriis from you, if you are ever willing to part with one haha. That thing is sick!
Ahh, Rama, should have known, I just keep forgetting about that place now a days. Thanks much Matt! ya I just got the CPD's from another member here, unfortunately one DOA and a few had fungus. But all's well, all are healthy and displaying at each other so hopefully they will spawn. Well at some point I will have a C. Nurii or two for sale but I have one person in front of you unless he got one already. But I will keep ya in mind, they just propagate sooo slow for me and I cannot add them into my high tech tank, so progress is less than desirable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HybridHerp View Post
great looking tank, love the plants and of course that hillstream loach
btw, I think that anubias that you think is "nan" might be cofferelia since it has more wrinkles in the leaf.
Also, I want your C. nurii lol
Ahh, yes you are 100% right, I had forgotten the ID, I really appreciate it!

Thanks so much everyone for the great comments! This one has been shifting for a few years now, but I think I have something to stick to for a while. Ha, and there are a few people that used to sell this exact strain of C. nurii (mine I got from GG, maybe from some of the clones of the original plant), Lookingforroselines (i think that's how you spell it) and Speedie. These people I believe used to have them, not sure if it's still around but I would highly recommend both people for great plants!!

More to come...
Old 08-29-2012, 10:43 PM   #12
Knotyoureality
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

Gorgeous tank!

I've been fiddling my way towards turning my 10g backup tank into a riparium. Originally thought to use larger river rock as a base hardscape but abandoned the idea when I couldnt' really envision it. Having seen this--I'll be out hunting for some good rocks this weekend!
Knotyoureality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 05:36 AM   #13
sketch804
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotyoureality View Post
Gorgeous tank!

I've been fiddling my way towards turning my 10g backup tank into a riparium. Originally thought to use larger river rock as a base hardscape but abandoned the idea when I couldnt' really envision it. Having seen this--I'll be out hunting for some good rocks this weekend!
Thanks so much! Nice, just look around in your area and you can find some nice stones. I actually found these around my house, I rent and can tell no one has used ferts on this property in a good long time, so I knew they were safe from that which is usually my main concern. But use just a couple big rocks and a bunch of small ones around them and you can create a nice little setup! I would love to see some pix when you get that project going. A riparium would be an awesome idea! I usually will do that with this and other tanks during the winter when my air inside is a little bit more moist, as my plants cannot handle my house in the summer near florescent lights. bacopa is one of my favorites to use, it grows quick, creates a nice bush, and takes a lot of nitrates from the water. You could also use a nice floating lily for an accent plant in the tank as long as it has a place to settle. Good luck!!

Last edited by sketch804; 09-04-2012 at 05:37 AM.. Reason: adding
Old 08-29-2013, 06:22 AM   #14
sketch804
Wannabe Guru

Exclamation One year later....

Wow well one year later I still have this tank, same hillstream loach and more now! I cannot believe it has been this long since I have updated and all. So here we go....

I haven't really done much to this tank as it runs itself as long as I feed and do a w/c here and there. A few months ago my CPD decided to start jumping out of the tank (what a surprise), so I am now left with three and needed to fill the void. So the next best thing I could find that stays small is some emerald Rasbora's, I added 10 or so, but now I am down to 8. They are just as colorful as these CPD's, you just have to look closer. Also I added a licorice gourami that seems to be right at home getting nice and fat. Because of these two fish I added I have started to feed micro worms that I got from a fellow hobbyist in addition to flake and algae pellets. I had a stone catfish but he is so small I believe that he was sucked into the filter, we will find out tomorrow when I open it up and clean it. I FINALLY got a crypt to flower, and low and behold it is my favorite crypt, C. Nurii 'mutated'!!

Added in the past year:
-Stone catfish - MAI
-emerald rasbora
-Whisker shrimp (3-4x, now just one huge shrimp left)
-tiny baby bristlenose pleceo

on with the few pix!

FTS:

My gourami hunting micro worms that have fallen to the soil:

And more to come...I just cannot find the rest of my pictures, but enjoy and thanks for looking!

Last edited by sketch804; 08-29-2013 at 06:29 AM.. Reason: oops
Old 08-29-2013, 06:26 AM   #15
sketch804
Wannabe Guru

Ah, and I forgot to add, here is my C. Nurii 'mutated' blooming!!! I am so excited, and I am about 3-4 days away from another flower breaking the surface!!