Show your Aquaponic system. - Page 7
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Forums > The Lounge & Introductions


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2012, 01:28 AM   #91
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru
 
PTrader: (33/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Gone
Posts: 5,990
Default

Like the IBC tube system. My trouble would be getting it into the basement.

I never gave the use of Prime all that much thought. I did a little googling and found this:

"The San Francisco Public Utilities Commission says one 1000 mg tablet of vitamin C will work on a bathub of water, about 40 gallons."

"Adding fruit to a water pitcher (e.g., slicing peeled orange into a 1-gal water pitcher) will neutralize chloramine within 30 minutes. If desired, chloramine and ammonia can be completely removed from the water by boiling; however, it will take 20 minutes of gentle boil to do that. Just a short boil of water to prepare tea or coffee removed about 30% of chloramine. Conversely, chlorine was not as consistently removed by boiling in SFPUC tests. If desired, both chlorine and chloramine can be removed for drinking water purposes by an activated carbon filter point of use device that can be installed on a kitchen faucet. If desired, both chlorine and chloramine can be removed for bathing purposes by dissolving Vitamin C in the bath water (1000 mg Vitamin C tablet will neutralize chloramine in an average bathtub). SFPUC does not recommend that customers remove disinfectants from drinking water. Customers desiring to do so should consult with their physician."

http://ask.metafilter.com/189054/Bes...nate-tap-water


I'm going to start using this idea, I'll run an Air Stone on the tap water over night to run off the Clorine. The next morning I'll add some Vitamin C.

While I was only using 2 drops of Prime per gallon, I do like this as an Organic Alternative.
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-04-2012, 02:40 AM   #92
nalu86
Wannabe Guru
 
nalu86's Avatar
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Kennesaw, Ga
Posts: 1,105
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFish View Post
Like the IBC tube system. My trouble would be getting it into the basement.

I never gave the use of Prime all that much thought. I did a little googling and found this:

"The San Francisco Public Utilities Commission says one 1000 mg tablet of vitamin C will work on a bathub of water, about 40 gallons."

"Adding fruit to a water pitcher (e.g., slicing peeled orange into a 1-gal water pitcher) will neutralize chloramine within 30 minutes. If desired, chloramine and ammonia can be completely removed from the water by boiling; however, it will take 20 minutes of gentle boil to do that. Just a short boil of water to prepare tea or coffee removed about 30% of chloramine. Conversely, chlorine was not as consistently removed by boiling in SFPUC tests. If desired, both chlorine and chloramine can be removed for drinking water purposes by an activated carbon filter point of use device that can be installed on a kitchen faucet. If desired, both chlorine and chloramine can be removed for bathing purposes by dissolving Vitamin C in the bath water (1000 mg Vitamin C tablet will neutralize chloramine in an average bathtub). SFPUC does not recommend that customers remove disinfectants from drinking water. Customers desiring to do so should consult with their physician."

http://ask.metafilter.com/189054/Bes...nate-tap-water


I'm going to start using this idea, I'll run an Air Stone on the tap water over night to run off the Clorine. The next morning I'll add some Vitamin C.

While I was only using 2 drops of Prime per gallon, I do like this as an Organic Alternative.
I read somewhere that you have to be careful with Vit C, it builds up and can poison the fish overtime even with WC.
__________________
IBC and Shelve Aquaponics
Show your aquaponics
125g Breeding group Tilapia
2x 75g+ 40B Tilapia outgrow tanks
20H Philippine blue Angelfish breeders + fry
20L CPD and Shrimp tank
10g Apisto Gibbiceps

Bengal: Meisje
Savannah Cat: Kimchee
nalu86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2012, 03:37 AM   #93
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru
 
PTrader: (33/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Gone
Posts: 5,990
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalu86 View Post
I read somewhere that you have to be careful with Vit C, it builds up and can poison the fish overtime even with WC.
Here's an interesting Link http://www.athiel.com/lib/vitC496.html#general

It seems the big concern is PH drop. My water is 8 out of the tap so this may be a benefit. I think occasional W/C with distilled or RO would help control levels along with Top offs with DW/RO water. One would have to look at it like managing a SW tank.

I do that now with my display tank, occasional (30 to 45days) 50% W/C with RO or distilled water.
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2012, 04:01 AM   #94
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru
 
PTrader: (33/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Gone
Posts: 5,990
Default

Found this :

"VITAMIN C DECHLORINATION
Vitamin C is a newer chemical method for neutralizing chlorine. Two forms of vitamin C, ascorbic acid and sodium ascorbate, will neutralize chlorine. Neither is considered a hazardous chemical. First, vitamin C does not lower the dissolved oxygen as much as sulfur-based chemicals do. Second, vitamin C is not toxic to aquatic life at the levels used for dechlorinating water. Although ascorbic acid is mildly acidic and, in large doses, will lower the pH of the treated water, sodium ascorbate is neutral and will not affect the pH of the treated water or the receiving stream. Both forms of vitamin C are stable, with a shelf life of at least 1 year in a dry form if kept in a cool, dark place. Once it is placed in solution, however, vitamin C degrades in a day or two."

http://www.fs.fed.us/t-d/pubs/html/0.../05231301.html

Last edited by DogFish; 10-04-2012 at 04:21 AM.. Reason: added Link
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2012, 05:52 AM   #95
nalu86
Wannabe Guru
 
nalu86's Avatar
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Kennesaw, Ga
Posts: 1,105
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFish View Post
Found this :

"VITAMIN C DECHLORINATION
Vitamin C is a newer chemical method for neutralizing chlorine. Two forms of vitamin C, ascorbic acid and sodium ascorbate, will neutralize chlorine. Neither is considered a hazardous chemical. First, vitamin C does not lower the dissolved oxygen as much as sulfur-based chemicals do. Second, vitamin C is not toxic to aquatic life at the levels used for dechlorinating water. Although ascorbic acid is mildly acidic and, in large doses, will lower the pH of the treated water, sodium ascorbate is neutral and will not affect the pH of the treated water or the receiving stream. Both forms of vitamin C are stable, with a shelf life of at least 1 year in a dry form if kept in a cool, dark place. Once it is placed in solution, however, vitamin C degrades in a day or two."

http://www.fs.fed.us/t-d/pubs/html/0.../05231301.html
So what would you use? sodium ascorbate or ascorbate acid?

ascorbate acid is 50% cheaper than sodium ascorbate, but that can affect the ph... but still, we use it in small quantities. And also most of the plants thrive better in acidic water around 6.5ph.
__________________
IBC and Shelve Aquaponics
Show your aquaponics
125g Breeding group Tilapia
2x 75g+ 40B Tilapia outgrow tanks
20H Philippine blue Angelfish breeders + fry
20L CPD and Shrimp tank
10g Apisto Gibbiceps

Bengal: Meisje
Savannah Cat: Kimchee
nalu86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2012, 12:47 PM   #96
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru
 
PTrader: (33/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Gone
Posts: 5,990
Default

I think I'd want to try the ascorbate acid 1st as my water is hard. Of course there will be a learning curve on dosage. After reading about sulfur based declor (Prime) drop Oxygen levels and health benefits I'm more interested.

Last edited by DogFish; 10-04-2012 at 08:19 PM.. Reason: sp.
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2012, 04:26 PM   #97
nalu86
Wannabe Guru
 
nalu86's Avatar
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Kennesaw, Ga
Posts: 1,105
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFish View Post
I think I'd want to try the ascorbate acid 1st as my water is hard. Of course there will be a learning curve on dosage. After reading about sugar based declor (Prime) drop Oxygen levels and health benefits I'm more interested.
Talking about your hard water, I read that you can use apple vinegar or even white vinegar with low alcohol level to pull down your ph (I don't know if that pulls down GH/KH too). In small doses it does not affect your fish nor plants, but you will always have to keep an eye on your water and make sure your ph doesn't crash.
__________________
IBC and Shelve Aquaponics
Show your aquaponics
125g Breeding group Tilapia
2x 75g+ 40B Tilapia outgrow tanks
20H Philippine blue Angelfish breeders + fry
20L CPD and Shrimp tank
10g Apisto Gibbiceps

Bengal: Meisje
Savannah Cat: Kimchee
nalu86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2012, 05:13 PM   #98
pandacory
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Pasadena, california
Posts: 617
Default

I am not sure what makes up citric acid, but have read before that you shouldn't use citrus fruits to lower ph since it is harmful to beneficial bacteria.

I am not sure if or how this would effect the use of vitamin c, but food for thought.
pandacory is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2012, 03:34 AM   #99
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru
 
PTrader: (33/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Gone
Posts: 5,990
Default

Finnaly bought some Orandas for the Sump tank. PetSmart is running a "SPECIAL BUY" on Goldfish right now. It took trips to 4 store to find 4 SPECIAL Orandas that had correct body shape and some 'Wen' the Orandas head growth. Hard to believe the effort I put into find 4 - $3.98 Goldfish.

Lettuce is doing well, Kale and Parsley have new leaves. I'm real happy about this:



That is Buceplandra 'Sintang' I've got new growth on it after 2wks. I have it at the bottom of the growth bed so it gets completely flooded each cycle. Two net pots to hold back the grow media. Upper pot has bottom cut out. I have a small glass jar as a humidity dome.

I hope to get some pics of the whole thing this wk.

Last edited by DogFish; 10-07-2012 at 03:39 AM.. Reason: sp.
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2012, 01:20 AM   #100
nalu86
Wannabe Guru
 
nalu86's Avatar
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Kennesaw, Ga
Posts: 1,105
Default

Update: pics say more than words
GB1: Tomato, greenbean, lettuce, kale



GB2: Herbs, carrots, broccoli, Berry bushes...

Broccoli:

Carrots:

Lettuce:

Cale and more lettuce:

Greenbeans:
__________________
IBC and Shelve Aquaponics
Show your aquaponics
125g Breeding group Tilapia
2x 75g+ 40B Tilapia outgrow tanks
20H Philippine blue Angelfish breeders + fry
20L CPD and Shrimp tank
10g Apisto Gibbiceps

Bengal: Meisje
Savannah Cat: Kimchee
nalu86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2012, 01:26 AM   #101
nalu86
Wannabe Guru
 
nalu86's Avatar
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Kennesaw, Ga
Posts: 1,105
Default

The Tilapia:




My male in my 125:


__________________
IBC and Shelve Aquaponics
Show your aquaponics
125g Breeding group Tilapia
2x 75g+ 40B Tilapia outgrow tanks
20H Philippine blue Angelfish breeders + fry
20L CPD and Shrimp tank
10g Apisto Gibbiceps

Bengal: Meisje
Savannah Cat: Kimchee
nalu86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2012, 01:42 AM   #102
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru
 
PTrader: (33/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Gone
Posts: 5,990
Default

Looking good.

Never thought about Carrots? Haven't seen much mention if Root vegetables in most Hydroponics videos or webpages.
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2012, 02:59 AM   #103
nalu86
Wannabe Guru
 
nalu86's Avatar
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Kennesaw, Ga
Posts: 1,105
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFish View Post
Looking good.

Never thought about Carrots? Haven't seen much mention if Root vegetables in most Hydroponics videos or webpages.
They grow sweet potatoes, potatoes, carrots, beets, radish, turnip in aquaponics.
__________________
IBC and Shelve Aquaponics
Show your aquaponics
125g Breeding group Tilapia
2x 75g+ 40B Tilapia outgrow tanks
20H Philippine blue Angelfish breeders + fry
20L CPD and Shrimp tank
10g Apisto Gibbiceps

Bengal: Meisje
Savannah Cat: Kimchee
nalu86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2012, 03:16 AM   #104
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru
 
PTrader: (33/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Gone
Posts: 5,990
Default

Sounds interesting, maybe when I upgrade I'll try carrots. Like most people 1st realization is my grow bed is too small.

My lettuce, spinach, parsley, basil are doing good. Found some miniature tomatoes which are not Cherry tomatoes. Should be interesting. The heirloom seeds I bought off E>Bay were very good, maybe 90% germination rate.

My Bhut Jolokia (Indian Ghost Pepper) ran out of summer on me I got a few fruits starting but I won't have Enough Sun up here to produce mature fruit. I've start a dozen clones. I have them in the grow bed. I cut back the mother plant hopefully I can winter it over and get a head start on next year. They need 180days. So maybe next year I'll get Peppers.

I got a new camera and I'll try to get picks up this wk.
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2012, 03:32 AM   #105
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru
 
PTrader: (33/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Gone
Posts: 5,990
Default

DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Planted Tank LLC 2012