Show your Aquaponic system. - Page 4
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Forums > The Lounge & Introductions

Old 09-04-2012, 03:02 AM   #46
pandacory
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

With many of the verical systems the main limitation is the build up of organic material. Don't waste your time with drippers, been there, done that. You can, however, use those splitter heads and drip line with no attachments for getting water to multiple sites.

Nft is also a waste of time for organice nutrients. I think there is a site out thwrw called jasons organic hydroponics that helps explain why continuous flow, ebb and flow, and raft systems are the only ones that work reliably.

This looks promising for our purposes, and am probably going to try it out, though it will be better for a window than for artificially lit. You see a lot of systems out there using pipe with sanitary tees and net cups, but the one below would allow for a single top feed and return so less maintenance than many smaller lines. I will post another in a few, have to find the link.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UcdtIx1PkS8
pandacory is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2012, 03:22 AM   #47
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Yep - Watched that DIY Strawberry Tower last week looks easy & efficient.

I'm on a tight budget. Most of my build $$$ went to the light, pump & stand. The rest will be what I own or can scrounge. Fortunately , between the hobby and a lifetime of DIY and living in the difinative Fixe-Upper house, I've got lot's a stuff to work with.

My DIY 41 rimless will hold goldfish, water will go up to a 40 acrylic for the ebb & flow tank, gaiety feed back down via the pump when not running and a standpipe as an overflow safety.

My shelf is 24" wide, grow tank is 15 "wide, light are 24 wide. So that gives me appx. 8" x 48" of un-used space to add maybe a 6" PVC pipe trough, maybe with net cups? Maybe square gutter pipe? Or maybe the square PVC fence posts?
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 04:09 AM   #48
nalu86
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

And this s what I build over the weekend:

I filled it up with 8 bags of lava rock and will cover the lava rock with 1 bag of clay pebbles. For now its just cycling and cleaning the dust and dirt out of the lava rock. I am building a WC system for this.

This is my first Aquaponic system, ebb and flood, on a timer.

And this is my Tilapia Fry: About 3 weeks old, 35 of them in a 20 gallon tank.

2x 75g+ 40B Tilapia outgrow tanks
20H Philippine blue Angelfish breeders + fry
20L CPD and Shrimp tank
10g Apisto Gibbiceps

Bengal: Meisje
Savannah Cat: Kimchee
nalu86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:43 AM   #49
pandacory
Planted Tank Enthusiast

sorry, couldn't find the other link, it looks like the company went out of business. i know there are other vendors, just this one made it into my favorites for lowest price. i will try to find the product again.

awesome projects!

there are a few IBC tote projects to refer to. I think you may need to add more grow beds for that many fish!!

The standard rule is 1:1, but 3:1 grow bed:tank volume is possible. this rule of thumb is kind of like the WPG or inch per gallon rules we hear about. not exact and pretty general/only applicable to older technologies. the higher the ratio of surface area:Water volume the easier it is to get to that 3:1 "Max", but obviously your fish choice means you need to have it a given depth or greater.

for the 41gal system you could easily do a 48"x24"x8" deep tray. if you got the skills, DIY it and line it with a pond liner. my hydro trays are 8". i tried using a 6" and it was just too hard to tune the siphon.

there are a lot of successful projects out there for gutter pipe/ drilled fence post/sanitary tee etc, but you will find most of them run a countinous stream type of system for the reasons mentioned above. i did one with 2 liter bottles with the bottom cut off. a little work on the cap/screw on top and it will fit snuggly in a 1" T, so you can rig it up however you want. i had mine on a frankenstien vertivcal set up, and used the dripper splitters mentioned previously. it worked, leak free, but i have moved more towards whole beds filled with media rather than net cups. something about it seems better once you watch it in operation. it is sort of hard to explain. sort of like how you can "know" something is going on with your tank before the test kit tells you anything of value. I feel the excess media does a couple of things: increase surface area for micro organisms and root support, and reduced water volume needs to fully ebb and flow. if you do the reading, you will find that aquaponics systems are running at temperatures that would lead to disaster in traditional hydro (also know this from frustrating personal experience, good luck keeping your res under 80 in so cal with a 400W light and flood pump near by), and the supposed reasoning is that the increased bacterial population makes the whole system more robust.

i hope to start a journal on my current project soon, and encourage you to do the same, who knows maybe we can get a low traffic sub forum like the pond guys!!!

only problem for me is that i may have to move my system to the other side of the apartment so i can fit my table in the dining room (didn't think about that before
Old 09-04-2012, 06:49 AM   #50
pandacory
Planted Tank Enthusiast

forgot to mention, i like to have the siphon start the draining process when the water level gets to about 1" below the surface of the media, or about 1cm or so up the rock wool cube i start my seedlings in. , assuming you have about a 1 to 3 hydroton pebble thick layer covering your rock wool.

I find it causes less hydroton float and keeps the stems dry. not sure if it matters, but in my traditional hydro systems before, i noticed that in any bed where the stems got wet the whole system would be more sensitive to any out of whack parameters. even managed to kill peppers, which are pretty much indestructable.
Old 09-05-2012, 02:39 AM   #51
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

nalu86 - I like your IBC system. I've been looking at the DIYs on youtube about those. IF my 1st systems works well I can see that as my next step.

Would you do anything different now that your done? Also and tips?

On my project, cutting the acrylic 40g in half to make a grow bed....Not so good. Even using new jig saw blades I have several cracks. So on to the DIY
grow bed videos. My foot print is 24x48" of course a little smaller for fitment purposes.
Old 09-05-2012, 04:36 AM   #52
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

Just saw the YouTube video about using a concrete mixing tub (20gl) from HomeDepot $12.65 It's about 36x24".

I'll be getting that tomorrow.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...4#.UEbW2o7FXJw
Old 09-05-2012, 05:22 AM   #53
sick lid
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFish View Post
Just saw the YouTube video about using a concrete mixing tub (20gl) from HomeDepot $12.65 It's about 36x24".

I'll be getting that tomorrow.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...4#.UEbW2o7FXJw
Read the reviews on the HD site regarding that mixing tub. Many complaints about it cracking etc.
32g tall eclipse3, fluval403, with a handful of bristlenose plecs.180gallon corner in-wall build journal
sick lid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 01:19 PM   #54
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sick lid View Post
Read the reviews on the HD site regarding that mixing tub. Many complaints about it cracking etc.

Thanks for the heads-up.

I have to think that's about using it to mix concrete, not as a Hydroponic Grow tub. Concrete guys and Masons tend to be a little rougher on equipment than Plant Geeks.

Something that size at a Hydroponic shop is starting @ $50, for $12 and 6 mi. from my house, I'll give the HomeDepot tub a try.
Old 09-05-2012, 05:37 PM   #55
sick lid
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Surprisingly garden guys wrecked it too
Apparently they have made them with different types of plastic, some good, some not so much.
32g tall eclipse3, fluval403, with a handful of bristlenose plecs.180gallon corner in-wall build journal
Old 09-05-2012, 06:09 PM   #56
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Surprisingly garden guys wrecked it too
Apparently they have made them with different types of plastic, some good, some not so much.

I went back and read the complaints. They cracked when lifting them with a load. If all fairness to the Tubs, they weren't designed to be lifted with loads. Just sit there and be used to mix concrete.

I've mixed a few hundred yards myself over they years, a shovel can punch a hole pretty easy, especially when you tired and not as careful as you are on the 1st batch.

I actually feel better about buying the tubs now, thanks for redirecting me to the complaints. As long as I don't light with a full load the tub should last forever.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:19 PM   #57
sick lid
Planted Tank Enthusiast

From HD's site:
Quote:
The tub features heavy-duty PVC that can withstand the mixing of heavy materials such as concrete and masonry mortar mix.
Reviews don't support that claim.

Quote:
I was on bag # 2 of mortar until the whole side gave way and i had mortar all over my nice lawn..
Quote:
I demonstrated to the employee by exerting just the smallest force to bend the material just a slight amount and sure enough it immediately cracked.
It cracked/ broke in several places the first time I used it to mix potting soil and compost.
Neither sound like heavy abuse . YMMV, but if its outside I suppose it doesn't matter so much if it cracks when you accidentally lean on the edge.

Quote:
My tub was imprinted as PP-5, polypropylene, and broke on the bottom first time it was moved with a batch in it. I've read poor reviews on the PVC also, HDPE (high density polyethylene, as in milk jugs) is what you want. Various styles and manufacturers across the country from my experience, look for HDPE or PE on bottom.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:45 PM   #58
GraphicGr8s
Pixel Prestidigitator

PTrader: (10/100%)

I've had the same tub for about 12 years. Use to mix crete in it and now it holds my potting soil. (Gave up concrete. Hire a pro for that) And it stays outside. And yeah, it's from HD.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
GraphicGr8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:44 PM   #59
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
From HD's site:
Reviews don't support that claim.

Neither sound like heavy abuse . YMMV, but if its outside I suppose it doesn't matter so much if it cracks when you accidentally lean on the edge.
If I learned anything from 30 years of sales operations and management, it's disgruntled customers are seldom completely accurate in their memory of how & why things go wrong. They never abuse or misuse a product.

So far I've drilled the holes for the drain & supply lines and managed to knock it off the work table. I also flexed the sides a few inches. No failures yet. I won't fill to maybe next week as I need to water proof the shelves 1st. I need a dry day asa I paint outdoors.

I will say I'm a bit concerned about the flex near the holes. Maybe the constant cycle of the Ebb& flow may stress that. I may re-enforce with nylon washers if I can find some large enough. If not I'll fab some from a 5 gl pail bottom & lid.
Old 09-06-2012, 12:14 AM   #60
moosenart
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (15/100%)

I think the tub is brilliant, maybe someday I will give this a shot...

I ride motorcycles.
moosenart is offline   Reply With Quote