callisto9's 6-gallon Petco tank - low tech, nano and first planted tank! - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 08-28-2012, 06:41 PM   #16
SaltyNC
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Callisto, this was just posted. The aquascaping guide linked to in this post is very good.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=187993
SaltyNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2012, 10:56 PM   #17
rocksmom
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (26/100%)

You've gotten lots of good advice already, just wanted to weigh in on the tank/substrate combo. Acrylic tanks are VERY prone to scratches and flourite is pretty sharp, relatively speaking. If you look at the shape of the the pieces you'll see lots of angles and sharper edges. In a plastic tank like that I would recommend using something smoother like a sand or soil/stratum type product. Doesn't have to be pricey either. For sand you could use pool filter sand or one of the many colors that Carib Sea makes. The latter would run you about the same as a bag of flourite. I'm not real familiar with azoo plant grower or aqua soil, but you wouldn't need a whole lot for a tank this size.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:53 AM   #18
callisto9
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyNC View Post
For your driftwood, you would need to find some really small pieces that are about 7" to 8" tall. You might have to borrow a truck to get that massive driftwood home!
LOL! Indeed! Thank you so much for all your advice. It's much appreciated. I went out and bought some pieces of slate this evening, but now I'm already 2nd guessing that. Sheesh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyNC View Post
Callisto, this was just posted. The aquascaping guide linked to in this post is very good.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=187993
Thank you! I'll read that right away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksmom View Post
You've gotten lots of good advice already, just wanted to weigh in on the tank/substrate combo. Acrylic tanks are VERY prone to scratches and flourite is pretty sharp, relatively speaking. If you look at the shape of the the pieces you'll see lots of angles and sharper edges. In a plastic tank like that I would recommend using something smoother like a sand or soil/stratum type product. Doesn't have to be pricey either. For sand you could use pool filter sand or one of the many colors that Carib Sea makes. The latter would run you about the same as a bag of flourite. I'm not real familiar with azoo plant grower or aqua soil, but you wouldn't need a whole lot for a tank this size.
It's funny to me that I've spent more time thinking about the substrate than anything else! I went out tonight to buy flourite, but both places only had the brown. I do not want brown. And you're right - it can scratch acrylic easily - good point. I was looking at the CaribSea Eco-Complete on amazon.com

But, if I get dark substrate, I want light rocks and vice-versa. I'd like a few small pieces of manzanita in there, too.

BLERG! This is tough stuff!
Old 08-29-2012, 08:34 PM   #19
bluestems
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by callisto9 View Post
This is the tank I have on the way...
http://www.amazon.com/Petco-Bookshel...petcp+aquarium
sweet!
bluestems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:16 PM   #20
callisto9
Planted Member

Tank arrived, substrate on the way. Going shopping this weekend for rocks or a branch. Hopefully some plants are on their way in the mail.

So, with a 6 gallon tank, being moderately, but not heavily planted, how many fish can I have? I plan on transplanting my two guppies and mystery snail, but do I have room for a few small tetras?
Old 08-30-2012, 10:27 PM   #21
starrlamia
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Tetras ideally need to be in schools and personally I wouldn't keep a school in anything smaller than 10. Why not keep a few male guppies in it?

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2
starrlamia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:25 PM   #22
callisto9
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrlamia View Post
Tetras ideally need to be in schools and personally I wouldn't keep a school in anything smaller than 10. Why not keep a few male guppies in it?

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2
Good to know. Thanks. I currently have two male guppies that will be moving into the tank. Can I add any more?
Old 08-31-2012, 12:29 AM   #23
bluestems
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Smaller size tetras, eg. under 1" adult size, can be kept in small schools of 3-5 in planted nano tanks. I've kept planted 5g tanks with trios of cardinal neons or harlequin rasboras with a betta and a couple of ground feeders & didn't have problems with algae.

You should be ok with two guppies, 3-5 small tetras and a couple of ground feeders... and the snail, of course! =)
Old 08-31-2012, 12:31 AM   #24
callisto9
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestems View Post
Smaller size tetras, eg. under 1" adult size, can be kept in small schools of 3-5 in planted nano tanks. I've kept planted 5g tanks with trios of cardinal neons or harlequin rasboras with a betta and a couple of ground feeders & didn't have problems with algae.

You should be ok with two guppies, 3-5 small tetras and a couple of ground feeders... and the snail, of course! =)
Thanks for the advice. I might just want to add 1-2 more guppies, and that's it. Could I do that? Four guppies and one mystery snail?

I can't wait to start putting it together. The waiting is killing me.
Old 08-31-2012, 01:52 AM   #25
bluestems
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. I might just want to add 1-2 more guppies, and that's it. Could I do that? Four guppies and one mystery snail?

I can't wait to start putting it together. The waiting is killing me.
You'd be golden with four guppies and a snail. You can always add to it down the road.

I completely understand the waiting... I've been slowly collecting parts of my setup (as extra $ is available) since last February. Closing in on it though...
Old 08-31-2012, 02:14 AM   #26
callisto9
Planted Member

Quote:
You'd be golden with four guppies and a snail. You can always add to it down the road.

I completely understand the waiting... I've been slowly collecting parts of my setup (as extra $ is available) since last February. Closing in on it though...
What size are you doing? Do you have a journal started here on it? I should have my eco complete tomorrow. I'm waiting on plants in the mail and I'm going out shopping this weekend to check out a few stores on the Illinois side.

My mystery snail never comes out of the pagoda (unless he does at night). I wonder if he's ok...
Old 08-31-2012, 02:45 AM   #27
bluestems
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
What size are you doing? Do you have a journal started here on it? I should have my eco complete tomorrow. I'm waiting on plants in the mail and I'm going out shopping this weekend to check out a few stores on the Illinois side.

My mystery snail never comes out of the pagoda (unless he does at night). I wonder if he's ok...
It's also in the 5 gal range. Here's my journal: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=171043

I'm trying a CO2 with nutrient supplements & high light this time around... it's definitely more expensive. Many times I've second guessed myself as to whether I really want to go this route, but I love Amano's tanks, the carpeting groundcovers he achieves, and want to see how it compares.

Snails aren't usually shy... I'd check on the little guy. Do you have any algae yet for him to eat? If not, you could add something for him... others who have snails would know what they like. I *think* they like lettuce...?
Old 08-31-2012, 02:53 AM   #28
callisto9
Planted Member

Quote:
It's also in the 5 gal range. Here's my journal: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=171043

I'm trying a CO2 with nutrient supplements & high light this time around... it's definitely more expensive. Many times I've second guessed myself as to whether I really want to go this route, but I love Amano's tanks, the carpeting groundcovers he achieves, and want to see how it compares.

Snails aren't usually shy... I'd check on the little guy. Do you have any algae yet for him to eat? If not, you could add something for him... others who have snails would know what they like. I *think* they like lettuce...?
I love those tanks, too. Amazing stuff. I don't want to go expensive or high-end since this is my first go and I'm already like $200 in. LOL

The snail does move positions. Every time I go out to the kitchen, he's in a different area...of the pagoda. I have algae thins that I put in there, but I never see him doing anything.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:45 PM   #29
callisto9
Planted Member

What a great day today!

I got two plant packages in the mail today from caykuu and Colorful. I now have some moss balls, amazon swords, anubias somethingorother and a plant I can't identify. I am stoked! I also found a LFS across the river that had great aquatic plants and tons of cool stuff. I got a moss ball, some long stringy things (I know, I need to learn their names) and some kind of wad of...moss. Any IDs would help. LOL

Lookit all that greenery!

Substrate (Eco Complete) arrived today. It's in, some water added and running. Question - would adding some material/water from my other tank help to cycle this one? I'm in no rush though.

Also found some cool smooth rocks at the place where I picked up my cobblestones for my landscaping. I just need a branch or something in there...

In talking to the owner of the LFS, he said there's a lot of conflicting info out there on the internet about fish keeping and we chatted a bit about cycling the tank and # of fish per tank. He believes in cycling with fish. It is interesting to note that all of the pet stores I've been to have WAY more fish per tank than anyone would recommend (that includes two chains and two LFS). Some would say that's because they're only in there temporarily, but the man at the LFS store I went to today said you can have more per tank that I thought I could. I mean, these places don't want to lose money by having fish die from being kept in too small of a tank...so... just something I've been thinking about. There's been a LOT of conflicting information on keeping fish!

Any advice at this point would be much appreciated!
Old 08-31-2012, 11:47 PM   #30
callisto9
Planted Member

Epic Snail is still very much alive, but never leaves his pagoda. Here he is munching down on an algae tab.