Where to buy little driftwood? - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 01-27-2004, 03:31 PM   #31
AquaTony
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I like drift wood that is attached to a slate. It appears more natural to me because it looks like a trunk of a tree. The two pieces I have in each of my tanks appear to be coming out of the ground naturally. In my opinion this is more natural in appearance and in some cases makes a big visual impact without taking up a lot of space in the tank. In both of my tanks with wood, the fish can swim all the way around the wood.

I've bought my driftwood from various shops, I always tend to look around for stuff that I might need in the future. You could make a peice like this as well, you'll need a peice of slate at least 1/4 inch thick. You'd have to be able to make at least a couple of holes in it. Then cut one side of the wood to make a flat surface and screw the wood to the slate. I don't think most people have the slate and tools at home to make this, but it would be fun.

On another note, we are in the nano tank forum. I haven't and probably won't put any drift wood in my smallest tank, 4 gallon. I have never seen a peice of wood that would look natural in there. I think when you start to get to tanks of less than 10 gallons it becomes increasingly difficult. I've read somewhere that people search for and collect rocks that are small, but can be used to make an aquascape appear much larger. In fact, people have paid a lot of money for rocks that are very detailed. I would suggest that finding the right peice of wood for a nano tank could take on a life of its own.
4 comet goldfish and 1 large SAE, black beard algae.
AquaTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2004, 04:08 PM   #32
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (175/100%)

I didn't even realize this is in the Nano section ops:

I think it is easier to find small pieces than suitable large pieces. If you go out collecting, you'd have to look in areas with slower current. But there is an infinite variety of smaller root pieces, suitable for nanos. Just need to scale it down in your mind. With some carefully selected decorations you can make the tank look much bigger than it really is.

The slate idea is great. I had a piece of wood leaning against the rear glass, and it would always fall over. Finally I used a rubber sucker and rubber banded it... now it stays. A slate would have been a better solution. How do you drill holes into them, without breaking them and going through lots of drills?
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 04:18 PM   #33
hubbahubbahehe
Wannabe Guru

LOL i didn' tknow it was in the nano section either wasserpest......hey, did it get moved?? =P
Eheim Pimp Club Member #32
hubbahubbahehe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 08:17 PM   #34
AquaTony
Algae Grower

How do you drill holes into them, without breaking them and going through lots of drills?[/quote]

Good question, like I said I've always shopped for mine. I asked some guys around work. We agreed there must be a way to drill it. I know that one of the pieces that I bought was drilled. Roofers that work with slate roofs use a special hammer and simply make a tiny hole, good luck with that. I don't see why you couldn't use another material that would be easier to work with as long as it doesn't leach into the water. It wouldn't even have to be heavy since it will be covered by the substrate.
4 comet goldfish and 1 large SAE, black beard algae.
AquaTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 08:22 PM   #35
Wasserpest
Are these real?

You are right, acrylic would probably work just as well. As long as the wood isn't too heavy and falls over anyway, rescaping your tank while doing that :hehe:
Old 01-28-2004, 07:57 PM   #36
BonesCJ
Planted Tank Obsessed

I wish there was some way I could get pics of the nice pieces of driftwood one of our local pet stores has, like piles of it and its good root wood, sinks right off the bat. I have it in all my aquariums and they sell it for $3.95 a lb, so a small piece i just bought only cost 3 dollars. If people were intrested I could see about what it would cost to purchase it here and ship it too you.
BonesCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 04:55 PM   #37
Wasserpest
Are these real?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonesCJ
I wish there was some way I could get pics of the nice pieces of driftwood one of our local pet stores has...
I am sure this has some ppl interested. Could you just take a camera and snap a shot? Maybe after asking them if it is okay? I can't imagine they would mind.

What kind of wood is it? Do you know where they get it from?

For larger pieces, it would probably get expensive. But for smaller ones, someone might take you up on your generous offer.
Old 02-02-2004, 05:16 PM   #38
BonesCJ
Planted Tank Obsessed

i'll see if i can't find out.
BonesCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 11:02 PM   #39
yv1
Algae Grower

i have a completely different suggestion that works beautifully in my 5 gallon....

BIRD ACCESSORIES! I bought a plastic, yes plastic 'bird perch' decoration and covered it with moss...and it looks quite nice when the moss grows in. no worrying about water contamination or anything
they are branchy and have a nice shape. just weigh it down with a piece of rock tied to the bottom...

lets see if i can get a good pic.......
yv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 11:34 PM   #40
yv1
Algae Grower

heres a b4 and after shot...in my 8 gallon (larger piece) with java moss

and heres one in my 5 gallon with x-mas moss growing out on it...

and here's another xmas moss piece in my other 5 gallon, you can see how i tied the rock to the bottom to keep it upright...

i highly recommend the plastic wood, once its covered up with moss you can't even tell its plastic
yv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 05:18 PM   #41
figgy
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

Hi,

eBay has a seller that has tons of little driftwood with pix of each--called annie something or other. Put driftwood in the search and ask her for pieces to your specs. She's great.

In my 12 gal Nano Cube, I have a cool piece of wood that I had to glue to a rock with aquarium sealant to keep it on the bottom. Now it's "Shrimp Camp Headquarters"!

Fig

12g NANO Cube, eco-complete
figgy is offline   Reply With Quote