Where to buy little driftwood?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 07-17-2003, 02:20 AM   #1
evan
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

where can i buy a little piece of driftwood for my 5 gallon tank? like 4 or 5 inches long and taller than that is wide. the right side of my tank is empty space. what is the point of driftwood? like what is it exactly and why does it appeal to people with aquariums? does driftwood add to the ecosystem quality of planted fish tanks or sumtin? o yea i have another question... about how fast do crypts and anubias grow in low-to moderate light. my tank has only 10 watts but it looks really bright and white and clear.
evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2003, 02:41 AM   #2
m.lemay
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Is that 10 watts of flourescent light? 2wpg of flourescent light on a 5 gal tank is actually pretty good. Especially if you're only growing low light plants. The downside of low light plants is that most of them grow slow.

Quote:
what is the point of driftwood? like what is it exactly and why does it appeal to people with aquariums? does driftwood add to the ecosystem quality of planted fish tanks or sumtin?
:lol: Thats hilarious. well for starters, it looks natural, if you have algae eaters they love to chew on it, you can anchor certain plants to it and they'll take root to the driftwood. The main reason though is, it just looks good.

Marcel
FILSTAR Pimp #2

75 gal heavily planted,50/50 Black beauty,Eco-complete substrate, Pressurised CO2 with solenoid, ph controller, AB Reactor 1000, 330 watts 9325K GE PC lighting,Ehiem Liquidoser, 2-Filstar xp3 canisters.
m.lemay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 04:20 AM   #3
evan
Planted Tank Obsessed

sweet. i want a piece. but where can i buy one online with a photo of actual piece? petco/petsmart don't seem to carry it. ive gone to several different aquarium stores.
Old 07-17-2003, 12:23 PM   #4
Rex Grigg
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to Rex Grigg Send a message via AIM to Rex Grigg

You are not going to find it on-line with a photo of each piece. No merchant is going to spend $10 to photograph and list each piece of $2 driftwood. You are going to need to hit your LFS and look around. I can't believe that none of the stores you have gone to don't have drift wood.
Rex Grigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 12:26 PM   #5
mario
Planted Member

Floridadriftwood.com sells their driftwood with pictures of the actual piece. Currently they only have very few small pieces, but here is the link anyway. Good luck... mario
mario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 01:05 PM   #6
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

Best place I've found for driftwood is actually no ebay links allowed Just bought this gorgeous piece for my 15g... Driftwood on Ebay. They've got plenty of pieces that are smaller, though.
Old 07-17-2003, 04:13 PM   #7
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (175/100%)

The best place I have found for driftwood is the river about 15 minutes from my house :mrgreen:

There is always something to be found... as long as it looks like it was fully submerged for a long time, is heavy and looks nice... perfect.

Did I mention the price? An afternoon spent at the river... priceless!
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 09:28 PM   #8
jonah
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasserpest
The best place I have found for driftwood is the river about 15 minutes from my house :mrgreen:

There is always something to be found... as long as it looks like it was fully submerged for a long time, is heavy and looks nice... perfect.

Did I mention the price? An afternoon spent at the river... priceless!
I was thinking the same thing. Every pond, creek, river and lake within a hundred miles of my house has tons of driftwood, small and large. It's actually easier with small pieces, you can boil them before adding to your tank.
jonah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 05:34 PM   #9
evan
Planted Tank Obsessed

is driftwood just anywood that is "drifting". this summer i mite go to a state park or sumthing and out of the city. maybe i will find some. can u describe driftwood and how do identify? are there different types?
Old 07-18-2003, 06:14 PM   #10
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (175/100%)

An ideal piece of wood should NOT drift. It should be really heavy, full of water and sink immediately. If it is dry, the rotting process will start under water, which is not a good thing. It should be completely done rotting. No more fresh wood.
You should be looking for "drift"wood from flowing water, like rivers, instead of lakes. After a long time in a river most of the tannins and whatnot have leached out of the wood, that will minimize the impact on water chemistry in your tank.
Don't forget to clean it thoroughly with a stiff brush, or if it fits in a pot, cook it a little to avoid introducing strange new creatures to your tropical fish community :mrgreen:
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 06:23 PM   #11
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (3/100%)

Here is a piece I found in a pond down the road earlier this year...

Most wood you find locally is OK to use but to be sure it does not buffer water or bleed to many tanins into your water column I would suggest a good boiling and or soaking for a while and check the water that it is in.

Also I try to find wood that is very hard (no rot at all) and I try to take it from water areas that have constant water flow over wood. Many insects lay eggs in wood and it could be disastrous to have a hatch in your house, and YES... that is from personal experience !

My wife was none to pleased with me a few years back when my tank and hood (and living room) was overrun with some bizarre looking critters.

Its much more fun and inexpensive finding pieces in lakes and streams the just going out and buying the same ole thing for an aquarium!

8)
Old 07-18-2003, 06:36 PM   #12
evan
Planted Tank Obsessed

wow. that piece looks nice. hopefully i can find one that is good. i need a really small one tho because i have a 5.5 gallon planted. if this planted tank goes wel, i mite be able to convince my parents to let me plant my other tanks. im on a pretty limited budget.
Old 07-18-2003, 08:32 PM   #13
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

Find yourself a stream and look at eroded banks where trees border it, many times you will find exposed root systems with some dead hardened pieces in the water below, the piece I just showed you in that photo is the root of a bush.
Old 07-18-2003, 08:41 PM   #14
evan
Planted Tank Obsessed

hah. i would be very lucky to find that. i live in a big city and im just a kid. i can't drive myself anywhere. hah.
Old 07-27-2003, 04:29 AM   #15
geekgirl
Planted Member

hey evan, I have three small pieces of driftwood. Any one would be the right size for a 5.5 gallon tank. I would send one to you for $5 (cause shipping would be about that,) if you want it. Let me know, and I will send you pics so you can choose one. I can also send you some plant cuttings.

Stacey
geekgirl is offline   Reply With Quote