Zuni's First Dirted Aquarium
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 09-14-2012, 03:35 AM   #1
Zuni
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)

Zuni's First Dirted Aquarium

Figured I would give the dirt a try.
This tank wasn't really planned out, I had the tank, light, plants, so I figured "f*** it, why not?" I went to walmart bought some dirt and set it up.
The fixture I'm using is an Odyssea 24" 96W T5 HO Light Fixture , Just running two bulbs though.
1 inch Miracle-gro base, 1/4 inch of lava sand, topped with 1 inch of coarse sand.
Planted it with dwarf sag, red melon sword, red tiger lotus, and a crinum.
The current inhabitants are 6 juvenile kribensis.
So far everything has been running smoothly, which is quite surprising actually.
The water was slightly cloudy the second day, but had cleared up by the third.

By stupid_zuni at 2012-09-13
I'm interested in how much maintenance this tank will need, the only thing running in it is a nano filter that's providing surface agitation.
Zuni is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2012, 05:10 PM   #2
wkndracer
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)

Looks like a nice, normal dirty start.
Using sand helped limit the tannin release (brown tea water) but still allows the needed gas exchange. I like the wood placement and weed selection but bet the red melon sword becomes a monster plant once the roots spread and it starts growing in the dirt.

The first couple months just watch for any mounding or bulges in the substrate (gas build up) and just poke a few holes with tweezers, meat fork (whatever) to release the bubbles (no biggie). Normal for dirt tanks with organic content to do this and no real risk to the fish. If left to buildup and pop then soil can 'burp' through needing to be vacuumed out so (imo) it's better to manually release any buildup. You might have a tank like mine that ran straight through without issues and was trouble free. Lots of plants (including floaters), no hard scape to trap the soil gases, control the light (a big key to dodging algae), watch things and let the tank settle (month maybe two). Attention starting out then easy with little need for dosing ferts.

If the tank generates an ammonia spike treat it like any new tank with a water change to keep the levels low. Never had a dirk tank act up (funky water tests) for more than just a couple days most have been trouble free.

Welcome to the dirty side and hope you enjoy easy tanking with the new setup.
2-75g planted, 5-55g planted, 5-20g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 8-10g, Refugium, doghouse/newbie
2012 update adding table top pleco pans & a 90g (Nutz)
wkndracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2012, 11:03 PM   #3
Zuni
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)

How long do you think my photoperiod should be with the lights i'm using?
Zuni is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2012, 02:22 AM   #4
wkndracer
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)

Depends on the height but T5HO here are all suspended above the tanks from 6-14".
I do split photo periods with a couple hrs. in the AM and then 4-6 when I'm home at night. Algae starts then I cut it back and or raise the light higher to find the sweet spot. Got a bunch of tanks running and no 2 are the same.
2-75g planted, 5-55g planted, 5-20g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 8-10g, Refugium, doghouse/newbie
2012 update adding table top pleco pans & a 90g (Nutz)
wkndracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.