Johnson18's 55 Gallon II-Gettin Dirty - Page 4
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 06-26-2013, 03:43 AM   #46
AntiSoberSam
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

yeah lets see the rams!
AntiSoberSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2013, 02:12 PM   #47
du3ce
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)

most or all of your plants are low light if u add co2 you will prob experience a algae bloom
du3ce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 02:21 PM   #48
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by du3ce View Post
most or all of your plants are low light if u add co2 you will prob experience a algae bloom
Agreed, I seem to have found a happy balance in this tank without co2. All the plants are growing like crazy & I've got very little algae present in the tank.

The co2 system from Colin is still sitting in the box it was shipped in...
johnson18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 02:24 PM   #49
Jahn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

yes, it definitely looks like whatever you have going on in your tank, right now it's working so don't futz with it!

kinda looks ram-ready to me, go for it!
Old 06-26-2013, 02:59 PM   #50
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahn View Post
yes, it definitely looks like whatever you have going on in your tank, right now it's working so don't futz with it!

kinda looks ram-ready to me, go for it!
Thanks! I've been thinking about switching the java fern that's attached to the driftwood on the left side with a whole bunch of Anubias barteri var nana/nana petite. I think it would look pretty sweet & less of a mess then the fern.

I agree about this tank being ram ready. Now, if I could just stop buying emersed crypts. I think I may have a problem with addiction to crypts! Haha...

Cryptocoryne is a hell of a drug!
Old 08-02-2013, 03:23 PM   #51
primo
Algae Grower

I love your tank and I also love rams... one of my favs!

Was wondering about your lighting setup, seems like you have a crazy amount for no CO2?
Everywhere I've read seems to say that 1xT5HO is plenty for a 55g low tech and beyond that you should look at CO2 or run into algae problems but you seem to manage that well..

Any advice? Just getting into my first planted and taking it slow but your lighting has me baffled with everything I've read regarding 55g low tech.
primo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 02:40 PM   #52
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by primo View Post
I love your tank and I also love rams... one of my favs!

Was wondering about your lighting setup, seems like you have a crazy amount for no CO2?
Everywhere I've read seems to say that 1xT5HO is plenty for a 55g low tech and beyond that you should look at CO2 or run into algae problems but you seem to manage that well..

Any advice? Just getting into my first planted and taking it slow but your lighting has me baffled with everything I've read regarding 55g low tech.

Thanks! I've been running one dual bulb t5ho since late fall of last year. I think the key to running that much light with no co2 is plant mass. I've tried to pack this tank full of plants. I actually pulled out a ton of java fern(about $100 worth) yesterday for a massive plant trade with another member here. I will be adding a bunch of stem plants to help control any algae growth. I will also probably have to reduce my photo period until I get some more plants.
Old 08-03-2013, 05:41 PM   #53
primo
Algae Grower

Great, thanks for the info

I thought about using floating plants too but I'm not much a fan of most of them + the long hanging roots over time.

Ryan
primo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 06:53 PM   #54
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by primo View Post
Great, thanks for the info

I thought about using floating plants too but I'm not much a fan of most of them + the long hanging roots over time.

Ryan

Sometimes I wonder where the alligator is hiding!
Old 08-06-2013, 03:13 PM   #55
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

Here is a current shot of the tank after pulling out a ton of java fern.

Now I've got this!

I definitely want to add a bunch to this tank! Time for some more color and texture!

I also posted in the aquascaping section looking for a few suggestions.
Old 10-22-2013, 01:39 AM   #56
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

I have some plans for this tank. Adding some new plants into it. Getting rid of all of the floating plants. Moving some of the current plants around. I've got a ton of Anubias B. nana & nana petite that I'm going to use to cover the driftwood on the left. Blyxa japonica & Echinodorus angustifolia 'vesuvius' are both on the way. Also gonna be adding Hydrocotyle sp. 'Japan' & leucocephala. I'm just trying to get this tank looking lush again. I'm wanting a very full feeling.

Things are looking pretty rough because the floaters have been blocking out a lot of light. My fall semester has been kicking my ass, so all my tanks have been auto. I'm finally feeling not as overwhelmed so I've gotta get my aquariums back to looking good.

Last edited by johnson18; 10-22-2013 at 01:53 AM.. Reason: .
Old 10-30-2013, 06:11 AM   #57
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

So I've been working on this tank lately! There is still plenty of work to do. I'd been thinking about setting up a 10 gal dirt or switching my 20L emersed into a 20H & making the 20L dirty. I believe I've come to the conclusion that I'm focus on the two tanks I've already got running. I'm going to try to change up this tank as well as my 20L rip. Rather then add more tanks, why not just move some things around in the current set ups. We'll see how that actually works....haha...probably won't actually be too long before I add another....

Anyways, I've currently got plants for this tank floating in multiple aquariums as I pull things apart and begin the replanting process. I will also be using some of my emersed plants too. This tank looks rough in its current state of disarray and is absolutely not picture worthy. Here is one anyway....

I had just finished ripping out the java fern from the left side and scooping out more floaters then any tank should ever see. Also a couple patches of new plants had just been planted. This tank has a long way to go before it matches my current vision. Haha...
Old 11-03-2013, 04:56 AM   #58
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

Default Johnson18's 55 Gallon (56K!)

Decided to just relax at home this weekend, which really means great fun was had this last weekend/week plus a busy school week. Hahaha.... So this evening I cranked up the tunes, made some coffee and went to work on the 55! Opened up both emersed tanks to take plants out to add into the 55. Was nice to get a good look at how the emersed tanks are doing. They both look pretty healthy, the water seems to be getting a little low...I'll add more the next big round of water changes! I need to sell some of my Bacopa(there is so much you have to dig to find certain other plants-damn jungle!) & Hydrocotyle jap. Which really just means I'll decide to RAOK it all or maybe see if anyone wants to trade for some foreground plants for the 55! I always think to myself I will post a for sale ad, make just a few extra buck here and there, that I would just use for different plants. I always seem to just give them away instead. Hahaha Oh Well....
Anyways! I've been planting H. 'Japan' & B. caroliniana. I've so far removed a bunch of Java fern. I will be covering one whole piece of drift wood with A. barteri nana & nana petite.

Well there are a whole bunch of crappy pics of what's going on at this point. I think I'm about to pull the driftwood out to add all of the Anubias to it.
Edit: Done!

I want some other carpet plants to use in this tank. I just want a cool mix that looks super lush. I think I might have a little spot that I want to put some S. repens. I just added a decent bit of B. japonica and the E. 'Vesuvius' a few days back!

My goal is a super lush tank packed full of a variety species. If you want an example go look through the "low tech show & tell" thread.... Hahahaha So maybe even more specifically I'm totally obsessed with OVT's tanks! That man can work wonders with a glass object that holds water! I can only hope that some day my tanks will rival and be in the same class of awesomeness as the tanks of OVT!

Well, break time is over, back to slaving over this tank! It'll be a long night of planting and tweeking(the tank that is!) that lies ahead! Any night owls out there let me know what you think!
Old 11-03-2013, 09:50 AM   #59
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

Here is where I have decided to leave it for this evening.

I've already started thinking about what else I should put int this tank! It needs so taller plants in the back with some color. Some different color and texture. I'm thinking about removing all of the java fern from the driftwood. Grow some other plants up next to the dw.
Old 11-03-2013, 08:46 PM   #60
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

I have several things I am now considering doing at this point. Feel free to let me know what you think, good or bad... I hate saying that as I've not really been contributing much to the forum lately. Stupid life... Hahaha...

1. Rotate the driftwood loaded with A. nana/petite pretty much 180 degrees.
This would mean that the tallest point of the driftwood would be against the back wall but the incline would left to right. This would then rely on the nana to cover the filter that is placed in the corner behind the wood. I think I can easily swap sides and specific plants around to cover the filter. I believe this covered look could easily be achieved with the plants I've got. Plus the top of the backside of this piece is pretty sweet, will look good with a bunch of petites This would then allow more light to reach the foreground plants, namely the Blyxa japonica I just planted in that front corner. I think flipping the driftwood would also defuse the strength of the water flow across the back of the tank. Currently the swords are leaning close to 45 degrees in the current.
Here is the current lay out of that corner, plus a height comparison showing the filter behind the driftwood.

2. What do I put behind the Blyxa/directly in front of the tallest portion of the driftwood.
Currently there is a small row of Cryptocoryne beckettii. The row extends from the last 1/4 of the current driftwood base as far back to end against back glass behind the E cord. 'Tropica marble queen'. These Crypts. melted a while back after I removed a bunch out of the little grove. Ha. I may just wait to see how the grow. I was considering adding some C. nurii but I don't know if it'll get lost as the large radican starts to fill in. I don't have any great pictures of this area yet. Might be easier once I flip around the driftwood, if I do so.

3. Foreground. All of it...
I'm currently pleased with the Blyxa on the left side of the tank. I do have a bit of H. 'japan' planted in the spaces between a few plants.

The middle of the tank needs some work.
Here is how it looks after planting H. 'japan'. Not the best picture in the history of the world...

The portion between the Blyxa and the C. lucens is the main area I planted the Hydrocotyle. There is also some dwarf sag mixed in that area. This is the main section I'd like to add more foreground plants into the mix. I was thinking maybe some glosso, marsilea minuta & am definitely open to other suggestions. I don't have to have a uniform single species carpet, I want a nice lush mix. I want S. repens/49 but I'm not sure where to put a patch of it yet.

The section of the foreground from the crypt over to the nana on the main piece of drift wood needs help. I think I might just add more of the 'lucens', or maybe divide the plants I've got and let them fill the area. The A. nana will get moved more onto the driftwood, I think. Or maybe I'll met the other foreground plants fill this area around the current crypt. Hmmmm......

4. The Java Fern on the main driftwood. As well as the right end of the tank.
Here's how it looks currently.

I've already got a 5 gallon bucket 1/4 full of Java Fern I have pulled from the tank.

I think I'm going to pull every last bit of it from this tank. Either leave the wood uncovered or I do have a small amount of a needle leaf trident JF I could begin to recover the driftwood. I could also put some Anubias on, if I wanted. This might let some of the crypts planted around that end of the driftwood begin to grow with vigor again.

Talking about pulling the JF from the driftwood brings us the my last concern.... The very right end of the tank. The one that's got a few weak looking amazon swords... If I pull the java fern it fully exposes the fact that end looks like sh*t. The back of that corner has the other filter hidden in it. The filter is surrounded by a bunch of C. balansae. The very end of the driftwood has a few C. beckettii too. I need something tall enough in this corner to replace the amazon swords that will also help cover the stalks of the balansae and filter. I wouldn't even mind putting some plants that taper from shorter to taller, though there's not a ton of room... A little color might be nice.

I know I will have to go back to some sort of fertilizer dosing schedule with these changes. Any input, thoughts, ideas, criticism, laughing, dude wtf's are all welcome!