First serious attempt at a planted
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 02-16-2014, 09:26 PM   #1
Rollo

PTrader: (0/0%)

First serious attempt at a planted

Hi new here. Starting a log/journal of my first serious attempt at keeping plants under water. Picture of the tank is below, don't mind the bottom and the tile just something different. I am going to try the plants in pots that have Seachem flourite in them. The tank has been set up about two weeks now and the sword in the back left the leafs are staring to turn a brownish, don't "think" it is algae as none of the other plants have it. The grass plant in the front doesn't seem to be doing great either, maybe adjusting. The other two swords look fine. I presently have two 6W CFL in the hood, I think this may be too low and gonna replace with two that are 10-15 watts. Ten gallon tank no fish yet, it will be a single Betta once/if the tank finds it's balance. Am dosing one drop a day of brightwell aquatics carbon source and multi nutrient. Feel free to offer suggestions.
[IMG][/IMG]
Rollo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2014, 01:45 AM   #2
Water7
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Thank you for sharing! It is definitely a creative layout, something I haven't seen before. I am not familiar with the nutrients and carbon source you are adding, but you may find that your plants need more than what they are getting as far as nutrition. If the sword plant is becoming discolored, it may be a sign of nutrient deficiency. Swords are heavy feeders so they are likely to show up a lack if there is one.

When I was getting back into this hobby, I realized that one reason I probably hadn't been successful during my initial attempt was my lack of adequate fertilization. This time around I chose to go the route of ordering dry fertilizers online and mixing up my own fertilizers using the principles of the Estimative Index. Then I try to dose them based on the needs of the particular tank. It took quite a bit of study, but I think it is paying off.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:22 PM   #3
Rollo

PTrader: (0/0%)

Thanks for the input Water7. Your right I need to gather some more information as I see the bottle of fertilizer I have has no nitrogen or phosphorus, just some potassium. It's what the guy at the store handed me....said it works good. LOL. I think the first change I am going to make is to get some more light, I only have two 6w CFL bulbs in the ten gallon tank, I am going to get two in the 10-15w range. When it comes to things like this I don't like to try to many changes at once, but may put some of those root tabs in the plant pots after the light change.
Rollo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.