Beginner Question about Anubias Barteri
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 06-27-2005, 07:15 PM   #1
Acei
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Beginner Question about Anubias Barteri

I'm a long time aquarium hobbyist (going on 10 years) but new to planted tanks. This weekend I decided to plant my 55 gallon Malawi Cichlid tank pretty thickly with vals, java fern and what was sold simply as Anubias Barteri. Everything that I've read suggests attaching anubias to driftwood or rocks like I do with Java Fern. The Anubias that I got though isn't the low growing species that I see in a lot of pictures. They came in huge clumps that are about 1.5 inches thick where the plant and roots meet. The 'stems' are almost a foot tall. These are some nice plants, but they would really look best in my tank planted in the sand substrate, not tied to the rockwork. Would this be okay, or are anubias like java ferns in that they will shrivel up and die if planted in the substrate?
Acei is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2005, 08:01 PM   #2
BSS
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

There should be a thick, green "rhizome" at the bottom of the plant. So, long as that is not buried you should be good to go. Perhaps you can tie a rock to the plant just underneath the rhizome and push the rock into the substrate. I've done that recently. I also tried weighting an Anubias down one time waiting for the roots (the white shoots that sprout from the bottom of the rhizome) to take hold. I gave up after a month and found a rock .
Old 06-27-2005, 09:17 PM   #3
Acei
Algae Grower

Thanks for the tip... I'll try that this evening.

By the way, does anyone have any suggestions for other hard-water/low light plants that I could include in the tank? I'm using a sand substrate over flourite with a DIY Co2 system. The pH is stays between 7.8 and 8.0 and the water is pretty hard.

Last edited by Acei; 06-27-2005 at 09:23 PM.. Reason: Forgot Something
Old 06-27-2005, 09:48 PM   #4
Phillyman
Algae Grower

PTrader: (13/100%)

I have Hygrophila polysperma "ceylon" that does pretty good in my low light, 7.8 ph, hard water, ancistrus grow out 10 gallon tank. I listed some for sale and no one seems interested, so if you pay for shipping I will send you a good bit. I have never tried to grow it with africans,so I dont know if they will find it tasty and have it as a snack. PM me if interested.
Phillyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 10:41 PM   #5
snake
Planted Member

PTrader: (40/100%)

Acei,
You can probably grow java fern and possibly java moss under the same conditions. I live in Round Rock w/ the same water and have no problems.
Old 06-28-2005, 01:06 AM   #6
bigstick120
Algae Eater

PTrader: (244/100%)

yeah another cichlid tank with plants, java fern and java moss will work for sure, some plants dont stand a chance with cichlids, wisteria is one of them
bigstick120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 07:17 PM   #7
Acei
Algae Grower

Thanks for all the tips... Phillyman, I may take you up on that. I wonder what shipping would run? hmmm...

Snake, since you're local to me, are there any LFS's in Austin that carry a good variety of plants? My LFS here will order anything that I want, only I'm pretty new to the planted tank and would like to see what I'm buying first.

bigstick120, I'm glad to see another cichlid fanatic going against the conventional thinking and keeping plants with their cichlids. I think it makes a much more balanced aquarium, plus it gives the less dominant fish additional hiding places.
Old 06-28-2005, 08:14 PM   #8
bigstick120
Algae Eater

PTrader: (244/100%)

bigstick120, I'm glad to see another cichlid fanatic going against the conventional thinking and keeping plants with their cichlids. I think it makes a much more balanced aquarium, plus it gives the less dominant fish additional hiding places.[/QUOTE]

Thats right, when I started my tank I had a ton of rockwork around 100lbs or so
I now have about 10-20lbs of rock and the rest is filled with plants!!!! It looks great and provides a ton of hiding spots. The fish love it and for the first time my yellow labs are spawning every few weeks, i havent managed to get the female out because of all the plants but it lets me know that the fish are happy with the setup. If you have any questions I will be glad to help you out, such as what plants are turned into cichlid lettuce and what not
bigstick120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 08:30 PM   #9
Acei
Algae Grower

Thanks... I appreciate it. Likewise, if you (or anyone else for that matter) needs any help with cichlid related questions, I'll probobly be able to answer them for ya since I've basicly specialized in them for about 10 years.
Old 07-02-2005, 08:42 PM   #10
snake
Planted Member

PTrader: (40/100%)

Acei,
your welcome to some trimmings if you want to drive to pick em up.
I threw away a half gallon of bacopa and rotala two weeks ago after no takers in austin area. The lfs will "steal" your cuttings in trade then hijack someone else on the sell side.
I would rather give them away for p/u.
Dean