72 Dirted Planted Project - Page 4
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 03-19-2013, 07:10 PM   #46
El Zilcho
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Great looking tank, always wanted to have discus. Maybe next year will actually try. Having the same problem with the same looking algae now so a free bump.
El Zilcho is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2013, 01:01 PM   #47
ccbeauch
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Zilcho View Post
Great looking tank, always wanted to have discus. Maybe next year will actually try. Having the same problem with the same looking algae now so a free bump.
Thanks. They are awesome fish. You can feed them right out of your hand and even pet them like a cat if you want to and some of them like it and push back. Just make sure to do a lot of research before you jump into this part of the hobby because it can be sticker shock and frustrating if they start doing the back stroke over night... When I first started I had one jump out of the tank and then a year later one decided to "shoot" in the middle of the night and rupture his swim bladder. Other than that no real issues other than ich once when I bought a plant from a dirty LFS. Thankfuly they all lived and I didn't do that again.
The Fraternity of Dirt #98
72 Bow Front Dirted Planted Discus Tank
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...87#post1983187
Discus in Action! (new video 10 weeks in)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWWy9ZzALLI
ccbeauch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2013, 02:31 PM   #48
jameshill247
Planted Tank Obsessed

im just about to get 5 discus from someone i know thats shutting their tank down and they have the same peppering on the face that until reading through this i hadn't seen before

my tank also has black sand and a black 3d background but the tank they are coming from has white sand and a darkish background but not black

did you ever find out if the peppering was caused by the dark environment? i don't think it would bother me anyway cos they are so colourful but they do have the peppering in a tank with white sand? maybe its not just the environment that does it i have read something about genes?

i may have missed it reading through this thread seeing as its full of so much information looks good though!
jameshill247 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2013, 06:30 PM   #49
ccbeauch
Algae Grower

I'm pretty sure that that background does not have so much to do with it as the hardness in the water does. I used to have white rocks (white clown puke as some would call it), the discus were very skittish and hid most of the time. I read online that they are from dark waters in the amazon and that the bright sand is very hard on their eyes. As soon as I made the change to black sand, within minutes they changed 180 degrees and were as friendly as the cats I have. Also, I've witnessed them as vibrant as others and as black as others too. I've found that how they feel is how they look. After a water change they are as bright as ever or right when I wake up and they are hungry. When the water is old and needs a change or when they are angry and fighting, or right when they fall asleep, they are much darker in general. But the peppering was there when I had bright white and blue background and substrate and it stayed when I made the change to black for both.
The Fraternity of Dirt #98
72 Bow Front Dirted Planted Discus Tank
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...87#post1983187
Discus in Action! (new video 10 weeks in)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWWy9ZzALLI
ccbeauch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2013, 07:36 PM   #50
jameshill247
Planted Tank Obsessed

spose I will be able to tell, if the peppering gets any worse when they are in my tank then it might have something to do with it. just have to keep up with everything and hopefully they will be alright have spent ages reading up about them do you remineralize or do you cut with tap water. my water here is very hard so RO is a must i guess. I have read about some people slowing acclimatising them over a long period of time putting less and less RO in and more tap to condition them to the water we have here. some people in my area have been breeding them in our local water so i guess the ones born in our tap water would be tolerant of our water?

you have probably answered this above but i think i might have missed it
jameshill247 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
bow front, college student fish tank, dirt tank, discus planted tank, rotala

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.