Egg Dropping... anything that can be done?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 08-17-2012, 05:52 PM   #1
CoolhandLocke
Algae Grower

PTrader: (8/100%)

Egg Dropping... anything that can be done?

Having a few breeding issues with the Orange Shrimp. I've had my first batch of 10 for close to 2 months now, and have purchased two seperate batches from 2 other sellers about 3 weeks to try and keep the bloodlines mixed up a bit and to try and get males.

I've read that some shrimp can be infertile, eggs drop, etc..etc.. and so far I've noticed 4 berried shrimp but absolutely no babies that I've been able to find. I had one full sak of eggs laid in driftwood full of flame moss about a month ago. Scooped those up and hid them under a log with some moss padding and they were gone the next day.

Today I noticed another batch of eggs dropped in the EXACT same spot on the Flame moss attached to the driftwood. Without going into all my paramters yet, I will say from all my research and from talking to other breeders my paramaters are fine for keeping and breedingthese guys. I have RCS in another tank with the same parameters and they've breed twice already, but no luck on the Oranges yet.

I read that they'll drop them if they don't know how to carry them yet (first batch) as well. Not sure if this is the case, but I know nobody's babies are coming to full term it seems. Also read you should be able to see "eyeballs" which I've not noticed on any of the eggs from any of the females at any time.

Just thought it was odd to have 2 batches dropped literally in the exact same spot. This batch is still hanging there, figured I'd leave them until I get some advice..don't see any eyeballs in this bunch either. I know I have some males in the tank, but I've probably got 15-17 females and maybe...maybe 5-6 males of varying age.

Also been getting a lot of molting (good thing I assume) and the shrimp are actually growing like crazy so I must be doing something right outside of getting them to actually reproduce lol...
CoolhandLocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2012, 06:02 PM   #2
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (430/100%)

What kind of "Orange Shrimp"? Are they Neo?

How old is your tank?

What are your water parameters? Temperature, GH, KH, TDS, pH, et al.
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 06:22 PM   #3
ravensgate
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (66/100%)

How often are you doing water changes and how much? That was my #1 reason for my females constantly dropping eggs. When I stopped monkeying with the water and sticking with mainly topoffs (only changing 10-15% when TDS gets over 200) they all berried up rapidly. This was after 4 months of constantly watching dropped eggs. Oh, and they eat the eggs when they are dropped. If you want to artificially hatch them you have to keep them circulating just like the mothers do when they fan their eggs, otherwise they get fungus and are all toast.

Also, they could be immature not understanding how to hold the eggs or the males aren't mature enough and the eggs are infertile.
ravensgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:45 PM   #4
CoolhandLocke
Algae Grower

PTrader: (8/100%)

Okay....

Water changes are basically every 4-5 days. It was every 3 as I had a few deaths randomly and am overly cautious, but as my levels are always fine I've cut it back to basically once every 7 days. I actually think my tiger's may have breed as I've noticed a few I didn't see before...odd considering they're the more sensitive of the two species.

The tank has been up and running for over 3 months now, fully planted, 4 cory cats, a few ottos, and around 30 or so shrimp with 6 or so Tigers, and the rest are oranges. As for what the oranges truly are I have no clue. The first batch I bought were referred to as Pumpkin/Orange Shirmp.. the second batch were referred to as Pumkin/Orange Sakura's, and the 3rd batch as Pumpkin/Orange shrimp. All 3 batches were bought from either sellers on here or big online shrimp shops.

I've seen "Oranges" sold as and referred to as Pumpkins, Oranges, Orange Rili, Orange Sakura's and a few other names. I've seen top tier shops selling all three "variations" of that shrimp in the past (even though 2 had the same pics) so I basically gave up on trying to figure it out.

Water parameters.. like i said within the limits for what most breeders keep these in and breed them in. Basically, 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrite, 0 Nitrate, unsure of GH & KH as I've added quite a few things to the tank cholla, indian almond, lava rocks, and I'm sure that's screwed with it a bid. PH dunno, was around 7-7.2. I know you want more specifics but that'll have to wait until water change day. Had an accident with the tubes and only have 2 left so running tests takes forever until I get my new vials in lol.

Glad to know that about the eggs, I figured they would eat them regardless of what others have told me which is why i packed them into moss and put them under a piece of cholla near bubbles last time.... they still got ate lol.

Pretty cool my first two responses were from neighbors.. I'm in TN and I see that Jaime is as well... Kentucky's just right down the road too : )
CoolhandLocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 02:26 AM   #5
randyl
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

Water change every 4-5 days and by how much? Stop it and do maybe once every 2 weeks and see if it's better. WCs induces molting which is bad news for berried shrimps.
randyl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 02:48 AM   #6
Bananariot
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (26/100%)

You probably shouldn;';t be having 0 nitrates, check again. Maybe there's something wrong with your testing kit.
Bananariot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 03:17 AM   #7
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (174/100%)

tds/gh/kh/ph/temps are the usual criteria we look at when refering to water parameters. If the above is unknown, performing water changes really wont help address anything other than to dilute ammonia, nitrates and nitrides while bringing the onset of forced molts.

A lot of molting is not a good thing if you are not feeding sufficient calcium into the tank.

Lastly, you are forcing them to drop eggs each time you perform a water change due to a change in TDS. berried mommas cannot molt when carrying eggs so they will get dropped and spoil. Get a handle on your water parameters first and everything else will fall in line.
Old 08-18-2012, 03:36 PM   #8
jasonpatterson
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

If you want to hatch eggs that have been dropped, you can set up a tumbler for them fairly easily. It basically consists of a container that keeps the eggs separate from the tank inhabitants still lets water flow through. I used the top of a pop bottle with panty hose rubber banded on in place of the cap and suspended it in front of my filter outlet, and it worked quite well. There are lower tech methods that work as well, here's a link.
jasonpatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 11:02 PM   #9
Overgrowth
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by acitydweller View Post
tds/gh/kh/ph/temps are the usual criteria we look at when refering to water parameters. If the above is unknown, performing water changes really wont help address anything other than to dilute ammonia, nitrates and nitrides while bringing the onset of forced molts.

A lot of molting is not a good thing if you are not feeding sufficient calcium into the tank.

Lastly, you are forcing them to drop eggs each time you perform a water change due to a change in TDS. berried mommas cannot molt when carrying eggs so they will get dropped and spoil. Get a handle on your water parameters first and everything else will fall in line.
Should you not do water changes when shrimp are berried? Or do you just mean that the excessive water changes are causing the shrimp to drop the eggs, not water changes in general?

Seachem Flourite - "Although pre-washed"
BIGGEST LIE EVER TOLD
Overgrowth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 11:12 PM   #10
diwu13
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overgrowth View Post
Should you not do water changes when shrimp are berried? Or do you just mean that the excessive water changes are causing the shrimp to drop the eggs, not water changes in general?
You should. Won't make a difference. Just make sure the water you WC with isn't too far off from tank TDS/pH. You don't wanna use RO/DI water to straight WC a tank with 500TDS. And don't do more than 10% at once. '

I've done 10% WC's in my 10G tank with straight RO/DI water without berried mamas dropping eggs. My tanks are at ~180TDS.

ヽ( ゚ヮ゚)ノ.・゚*。・+☆ Twin 10G Shrimp Tanks & 20L Grow Out Tank
diwu13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 12:11 AM   #11
Overgrowth
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by diwu13 View Post
You should. Won't make a difference. Just make sure the water you WC with isn't too far off from tank TDS/pH. You don't wanna use RO/DI water to straight WC a tank with 500TDS. And don't do more than 10% at once. '

I've done 10% WC's in my 10G tank with straight RO/DI water without berried mamas dropping eggs. My tanks are at ~180TDS.
Okay.

Seachem Flourite - "Although pre-washed"
BIGGEST LIE EVER TOLD
Overgrowth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 01:43 AM   #12
Bananariot
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (26/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by diwu13 View Post

Typically for me, since my tanks are open top I do tend to wc with straight RO once every week for berried mamas to maintain the TDS in the tank. That's if I care for egg droppage

I do a water change every 2 weeks if I really care for shrimp breeding, in most cases I don't and just do it every week. This is cause my shrimps are always berried and if I cared, I'd never be able to do a wc.
Bananariot is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
breeding, dropping eggs, eggs, orange shrimp