Robotponys' Miniature Collection
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 08-16-2012, 05:31 PM   #1
Robotponys
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Robotponys' Miniature Collection

Warning-- LONG post. Sorry!
Can someone tell me how to make pictures appear so people don’t have to click to photobucket?

Ugh just accidently deleted everything I wrote! Here we go again…

I have kept bettas for a while and one 5 gallon tank. I kind of abandoned fish for a month or 2 and got the motivation to restart. So here it is.

5 gallon:

Filled yesterday. Ammonia is less than 0.25 before the water change. I plan on daily pwc’s. Temperature is in the mid to high 80’s. 0_o

-java moss and ferns
-random plant purchased yesterday. Green with reddish leaves. Also another tag along, a fern looking thing.
-algea covered dwarf hairgrass
-soil and established gravel mix underneath black sand
-1 female endler purchased yesterday
-Aqua Tech 5-15 filter with flow slowed by a thin shirt. Also the intake is now fry proof.

This tank was a pool of muck feeding once every other week with until 2 or 3 days ago when I dumped it and rescued the 2 CPD’s remaining, along with plants, snails and gravel. One CPD, who is dominant, always chases the smaller guy around and is fatter and healthier. Both are probably males. All the rocks and driftwood was collected and soaked and bleached and some baked. I accidently let the driftwood dry and now they have to temporarily be held down by rocks. :/ The soil was baked and rinsed and the gravel is from the old tank. Sand was rinsed and brand new.

Stocking suggestions? I was thinking of getting 2 or 3 more CPD's, 5 (too much? Too little?) Corydoras pygmeaus, a few cherry shrimp to start breeding, and 2 more endlers. Also a lot more plants. Is this overstocked? I am definitely not adding more fish until it is fully cycled.

Bowl:

-gorgeous betta. I’m thinking it’s a plakat male. Building a small bubblenest and there is no sign of eggs. I want to name it Bo regardless of sex. More pics of him/her.

-mystery plant/s
-java moss
-soil and gravel under black sand
-one black rock

Also filled yesterday. Betta purchased yesterday. Old java moss. Newly purchased mystery plant.

1 gallon jar:

Set up for a month about.

-java moss and fern
-temporary housing for 2 male CPD’s
-gravel
-airstone, only turned on a few times a day or it’s overwhelmingly strong

Tall container:

Filled 2 days ago.

-mystery plants
-black sand
-black stone

Planning on stocking with shrimp and snails and adding a piece of driftwood with a different moss than java attached.

Food:

To feed all these critters, I am going to order NLS small fish formula, golden pearls 200-300 microns, Ken's Premium Meat and Spirulina Wafers, and Seachem Flourish from Kensfish. Also, veggie sticks w/ extra calcium from Jake.

Pictures of Bo:

If anyone has extra plant trimmings, PM me please! Anything easy to grow is fine. I prefer free stuff, not especially interested in paying for the plant, but of course I will pay shipping. Thank you!

Thanks for reading and I hope you get the time to comment.

Last edited by Robotponys; 08-16-2012 at 06:39 PM.. Reason: Fixing photos
Robotponys is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2012, 06:10 PM   #2
fishboy199413
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

All you do is on photobucket, when you scroll over a picture you just click image code then just right click on your post in the text and press paste. The pictures you post will show up. Hope that helps.
Old 08-16-2012, 06:40 PM   #3
Robotponys
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thank you! That was really easy... :P
Old 08-16-2012, 06:42 PM   #4
fishboy199413
Planted Tank Obsessed

Nice tanks you have there. Glad to help.
Old 08-16-2012, 06:44 PM   #5
Ganyon
Algae Grower

Very nice.
Ganyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 03:11 PM   #6
Robotponys
Planted Tank Obsessed

I'm leaving today and coming back on Monday. Hope everything will be ok...

Just realized cories need low temperatures, not 80-90 F! I'll save them for the winter.

If anyone has extra pennywort, let me know. I really love this plant from pictures.
RAOK Club #31

The Fraternity of Dirt #96

Looking for free easy trimmings. (Pennywort, moss, terrestrial, aquatic, emersed, etc) So PM me maybe.

My tanks-->http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=187460
Old 08-27-2012, 05:24 PM   #7
Robotponys
Planted Tank Obsessed

Got back from yet another trip. I'm kind of embarrassed about the state of the tank. It is COVERED in algea... I also got 3 otos in a temp container with the CPD's. Transferring to big tank today
RAOK Club #31

Looking for free easy trimmings. (Pennywort, moss, terrestrial, aquatic, emersed, etc) So PM me maybe.

Old 08-28-2012, 10:59 PM   #8
Robotponys
Planted Tank Obsessed

New betta bowl. Hate that I couldn'tget my net into the opening of the other bowl, I had to use a spoon... Lol

One of the Amanos. Two in total and one molted today! I got them just yesterday.

They love the cave and that is where one molted.

Redid both tanks. Top one has 2 cherry shrimp I got yesterday and the CPD's. the 2 surviving otos are in the 5.

Only pic that turned out well of the shrimp...

What plant is this? Will it grow tied to the rocks?

What ferts do I need to dose to get rid of the algae? I was thinking liquid CO2, phosphorus, and nitrogen? Is that shrimp safe, algae killing, and plant growing? The tank gets at least 3 hrs of direct sunlight and a couple more of indirect, plus the lamp is on sometimes.
RAOK Club #31

Old 09-08-2012, 03:02 AM   #9
chibikaie
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

Huh, I thought I posted something yesterday, but I must have fallen asleep in the middle of it.

If Bo is building a bubble nest, then he is definitely a male. He's happy! Good for you.

I don't know a whole lot about fertilizers, but I'd check your nitrate level before you dose nitrogen. If your critters are producing enough nitrogenous wastes, then you may not need to add more. Fish waste also contains a lot of phosphorus (also I'm pretty sure that phosphorus does not kill algae). So the major nutrient that fish-heavy tanks need is potassium.
chibikaie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 12:19 AM   #10
Robotponys
Planted Tank Obsessed

Oh thanks! I got a female betta and he's in a big jar now. The female endler gave birth to 3 fry and is still the same size. tomorrow I am going to the NYC meet up so I should have plenty of stuff.
RAOK Club #31

Old 09-09-2012, 02:44 AM   #11
chibikaie
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

We should all do before/after shots of our tanks. Y'know, before we jam all the happy new plants we're getting into them. (Okay, so you'd have to wait about six weeks for mine ... maybe not such a good idea.)
chibikaie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:45 AM   #12
phoenixkiller
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (28/100%)

I'll try to give you a few tips. I am sort of a newbie myself, I currently run two successful 10 gallon planted tanks, and I've jumped through my own hurdles, if you get my meaning, as well. I've battled lighting, fertilizers, CO2 bursts, dead plants, and, worst of all, hair algae. It's like something straight from hell. Trust me.

As for your little algae issue, do you have a timer on your light(s)? What's your light's wattage? How far above each tank is the lights?

Oh, and I'll give you a little run-down about fertilizers. I started out with free clippings with my RCS order from a friendly member on a different forum. I believe he sent my Ludwigia Repens x Arcuata, some small Java ferns, Anacharis, some Ludwigia Arcuata, and Java moss. I paid for the Java moss though.

Anyway, I slowly noticed that the new leaves on those plants were getting paler and paler, until the red color on the Ludwigia Repens x Arcuata was almost a yellow. I searched for the answer, and found that I had deficiencies in certain levels. I impulsely bought some Seachem Flourish, but the thing is, Seachem Flourish is only the Micro nutrients. I continued to see the symptoms, and finally found the solution. I ordered the N,P,K, and micros package from nilocg (Great seller for ferts by the way!), and mixed it all together, and began dosing immediately. I started to see spurred and colored growth in my plants again. I now dose full EI ferts in both tanks, and will dose full EI in my upcoming 50 gallon planted.

So, ferts will eventually be needed for general plant health and growth, and it is quite cheap compared to what it would be if I went with all the Seachem expensive crap. I bought nilocg's above mentioned package, plus two bottles to hold each fert mixture, and it cost only $30. All things considered, it is a small price to pay for such a beautiful part of this hobby (Plant keeping). So I would recommend some ferts, if you have any other questions, just ask, I'll do my best to help ya out.

I really liked the below article for any signs of water level deficiencies, so if I can accurately identify the plant's symptoms, then I look at the article and find out what the plant needs more/less of. I suggest bookmarking this article, it's very handy to have around.

http://i476.photobucket.com/albums/r...mptomology.jpg

Regarding your stocking question about the CPDs, I think 5 is ok for a 5 gallon. I hear they are great nano fish.

Oh, and if you ever get enough into planted tanks, look into CO2 injection. It's a bit hazardous, and I myself have not had the courage to try to set mine up again, but sooner or later I will.

I'll check any other questions you have, and use what little experience and knowledge I have to help you!

Hope I helped!!
Grow shrimp twice
phoenixkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:48 AM   #13
phoenixkiller
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (28/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotponys View Post
New betta bowl. Hate that I couldn'tget my net into the opening of the other bowl, I had to use a spoon... Lol

One of the Amanos. Two in total and one molted today! I got them just yesterday.

They love the cave and that is where one molted.

Redid both tanks. Top one has 2 cherry shrimp I got yesterday and the CPD's. the 2 surviving otos are in the 5.

Only pic that turned out well of the shrimp...

What plant is this? Will it grow tied to the rocks?

What ferts do I need to dose to get rid of the algae? I was thinking liquid CO2, phosphorus, and nitrogen? Is that shrimp safe, algae killing, and plant growing? The tank gets at least 3 hrs of direct sunlight and a couple more of indirect, plus the lamp is on sometimes.
You asked in the last pic what that plant was. It looks similar to Clinopodium Cf. Brownei, an easy plant to keep. In any case, it looks like a stem plant, so once you see roots, I would plant it in the substrate, and not tied to something. Just my two cents.

Hope I helped!
Grow shrimp twice
phoenixkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:53 AM   #14
Robotponys
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a thoughtful response! You definitely helped. I will update tomorrow night since I have a test tomorrow and I should sleep now. :P Very helpful!

Tank journal, please visit and give advise
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=187460
-Tapatalk
RAOK Club #31

Old 10-02-2012, 08:47 PM   #15
Robotponys
Planted Tank Obsessed

I switched stuff around and the 5 gallon is just lit by the sun. Not too much algae, except on the sides which I just clean on the front. I've been seriously considering ferts, I think I will try your idea since it will last for years. That is a very helpful chart. I've got a lot of those deficiencies in my plants... Definitely not doing injected CO2 anytime soon. But I do plan on getting excel.
I'm getting a 10 gallon soon so I will have a fresh start for both tanks.

I found a berried shrimp! So happy!!!

The 5 gallon is now overstocked. 5 under 1 inch cories
2 under 1 inch female kribensis
2 endler fry (mom's in the algae/infusoria bin and 1 died I think. When I pulled it out of the bin it was very chubby. Much bigger than before. 1 is definitely male (long anal fin, pointed) and has a single dot already. The other appears female.
1 oto
2 Amanos
Eek!
I want the stock list to look sort of like this:

-Amanos
-RCS once they start breeding enough
-maybe dwarf cories
-m/f dario dario
-endler newborns. I will hopefully rehome them as they grow up
-CPD's

Or I could do this:
-m/f dwarf puffers
-snails
-shrimp if they let them survive

Or I could just get another tank and do both Lol

And I'm getting a 10 gallon that I want stocked somewhat like this:

-m/f kribs
-3 otos
-excess shrimp
-3-6 kuhli loaches
Ditherfish choices
-least killifish
-endlers
-cardinal/neon tetras
-white cloud mountain minnows

MTS MUCH? My life...

The cube will be stocked with a betta or/and shrimp. Check out my other thread for an update:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=192039

Thanks for reading! Now for the photos... :P
RAOK Club #31