What kind of Cichlid is this?!! :confused1:
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 08-16-2012, 03:36 AM   #1
aquatickid
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

What kind of Cichlid is this?!! :confused1:

So i saw an ad on my local craigslist about a cichlid a dude was trying to get rid of because he had to move. In his discription he said it was just bigger than his hand, turns out he had a huge freakin hand!! this guy is like 8+ inches. Does anyone know what kind it is? It's my first cichlid but i like him!! Plus he was free and so was the drift wood he had in his tank. i got lucky. Any advise on the type of cichlid would be awesome, thanks!

Here it is, (cause i have no clue how to sex em)

aquatickid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2012, 03:42 AM   #2
Solo707
Algae Grower

Frontosa?
Solo707 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2012, 03:43 AM   #3
nanobettaman
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)

Blue dolphin?

http://vinay-munshi.blogspot.com/201...-name-for.html
nanobettaman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2012, 03:59 AM   #4
HybridHerp
Planted Tank Guru

That appears to be a type of tilapia commonly called Buttikoferi or Tiger Tilapia.
Very large very aggressive fish, I never seem them with tankmates unless the tank is at least a few hundred gallons in size. Best kept in nothing less than a 75 gallon or larger.

Also, as far as sexing goes, you would have to look at the vent of the fish to determine that. I know one is a U and one is a V but I forget which means male and which means female.
Old 08-16-2012, 05:13 AM   #5
aquatickid
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by HybridHerp View Post
That appears to be a type of tilapia commonly called Buttikoferi or Tiger Tilapia.
Very large very aggressive fish, I never seem them with tankmates unless the tank is at least a few hundred gallons in size. Best kept in nothing less than a 75 gallon or larger.

Also, as far as sexing goes, you would have to look at the vent of the fish to determine that. I know one is a U and one is a V but I forget which means male and which means female.

Yeah, I had a feeling that it was a buttikoferi. It's the most similar looking one and this bitch is aggressive big time! He's been going after two red parrots that are just under its size but relentlessly!! I looked up a bunch of Cichlid links but the tilapia bears the most resemblance. Are tilapias not of the same family, cichlidae I mean?
Old 08-16-2012, 05:18 AM   #6
aquatickid
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanobettaman View Post
Close but not quite. Lol, thanks.
Old 08-16-2012, 05:26 AM   #7
aquatickid
Algae Grower

Quote:

After a little yahooing it seems you were dead on about the species and it seems it is a type of Cichlid after all.
Old 08-16-2012, 05:29 AM   #8
nalu86
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:

I read a couple of days ago: Males have 1 tube, females have 2.
2x 75g+ 40B Tilapia outgrow tanks
20H Philippine blue Angelfish breeders + fry
20L CPD and Shrimp tank
10g Apisto Gibbiceps

Bengal: Meisje
Savannah Cat: Kimchee
nalu86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2012, 12:44 PM   #9
HybridHerp
Planted Tank Guru

Get those Blood Parrots out ASAP. Buttikoferi are a much more aggressive fish and I don't see them co-existing together for very long. I mean, you can try it and chance it but I wouldn't. How big is your tank by the way?
Old 08-16-2012, 02:17 PM   #10
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

It is a cichlid but there are cichlids for all situations. This is not a cichlid for a community tank! I get so frustrated when I see people making recommendations for cichlid tanks without asking what kind of cichlid. Would anybody treat this fish like they would a yellow lab or an angelfish?
PlantedRich is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2012, 03:57 PM   #11
aquatickid
Algae Grower

Quote:
Get those Blood Parrots out ASAP. Buttikoferi are a much more aggressive fish and I don't see them co-existing together for very long. I mean, you can try it and chance it but I wouldn't. How big is your tank by the way?
Yeah, im working on it. I have a 75 gallon that im setting up right now, I hope to be done in a couple of hours. I had to paint the stand so im waiting for that to dry and then bring it in from the garage. I had no where else to put 'em when i picked him up last night. Just had to chance it. He should be going into my 75 gallon by this afternoon. I guess no i can only house the bastard with other Buttikoferi huh? That kinda sucks.
Old 08-16-2012, 04:00 PM   #12
aquatickid
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
It is a cichlid but there are cichlids for all situations. This is not a cichlid for a community tank! I get so frustrated when I see people making recommendations for cichlid tanks without asking what kind of cichlid. Would anybody treat this fish like they would a yellow lab or an angelfish?
I was not intending to put this guy in a community tank. If you read my first post, the first thing i did was try to figure out what kind of species and temperament this fish had so that i can avoid stressing or possible jeopardizing other fish. For now he is headed to my 75 gallon that in setting up as i write this post. Paint on the stand is almost dry and them he's going in. I have everything for this tank except the substrate but that can wait.
Old 08-16-2012, 04:04 PM   #13
aquatickid
Algae Grower

While i set up his tank he has been in my 46G bowfront that has two blood parrots. He only been in the tank for 16 hours or so but i'm kinda nervous.

The parrot was checking out and then he took of behind the wood, lol, he said F' this!

Old 08-16-2012, 04:40 PM   #14
Jules
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquatickid View Post
Yeah, im working on it. I have a 75 gallon that im setting up right now, I hope to be done in a couple of hours. I had to paint the stand so im waiting for that to dry and then bring it in from the garage. I had no where else to put 'em when i picked him up last night. Just had to chance it. He should be going into my 75 gallon by this afternoon. I guess no i can only house the bastard with other Buttikoferi huh? That kinda sucks.
In a 75 gal tank there's only room for one Buttikoferi.

How are you going to get your 75 gal cycled in one afternoon???
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2012, 05:34 PM   #15
Jules
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquatickid View Post
First off, that's BS. What do i need a freaking national aquarium to house a couple of fish?! Second, it won't be cycled properly. I got this fish for free off craiglist on the fly because the dude was going to let it go in a lake. It's not ideal i know but it's a risk that needed to be taken. Telling someone that you can only have 1 cichlid in a 75g tank without knowing what kind of filter is being used is asinine. The Canister filter im using on it has been cycled on a different tank and will be sufficient. 2076e Eheim, awesome filter so far, and two hang behind whisper filters. Unsure of the model but they each have two filter pads. I know i cant have lots of fish but at least two to three should be fine.........1 fish, pfffst.
To house a group of these fish? Yes, you need a freaking national aquarium (or big outdoor pond, which is how most Tilapia are housed). They are very aggressive - that means you need to spread the aggression over LOTS of other fish, or have LOTS of room so everyone can have their own territory. Put as many filters as you want on that tank, it's still only big enough for one.

Edited to add: disregard everything below (but everything above still stands) - I just clued in to the fact that you said the filter you're adding is fully cycled - if the filter has been running on a tank with fish (i.e., with a bioload), then you're good to go, the tank should not even go through a cycle.

Luckily he's big enough to go for an extended period with very little food (i.e., just enough food to keep a very small amount of ammonia present). Treat the water with seachem prime every 24 hours (seachem SAFE is the exact same stuff, and would be a much more affordable option when treating that much water) to make sure the ammonia and nitrite are kept in their less toxic states and he should be fine. Make sure you don't let the ammonia go over 0.25 or the nitrites go over 0.5 (yes, fish can survive higher levels - but there's no justification for making them suffer unnecessarily).

Might be worth picking up some the bottled bacteria to quick start the cycling process - I know only some of these products work, and since I've never used them I'm not sure which ones, but hopefully someone who's used them will chime in. I believe you can get a tank cycled in a matter of days using that stuff.

Last edited by Jules; 08-16-2012 at 06:05 PM.. Reason: adding stuff
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
cichlid, large, sexing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.