20gal Florida Flag Fish
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 07-25-2014, 06:42 PM   #1
BeerBattered
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

20gal Florida Flag Fish

I picked up 1 male and 2 female Florida Flag Fish from my lfs the other day. They are super cool fish! They get really mixed reviews, but I plan on being very picky about tankmates, if they get any at all. Also they have been kept very full and content (the tank had a ton of algea!) I hear that they are much less aggressive when full.

Anyway while doing research they have pretty weird water conditions. They can adapt to a wide range of pH: 6.7-8.2, my tank is at about 7. It says their DH parameters are 6-20 (are GH and DH the same thing?). That's seems really high. The temperature is also a weird one. They seem to like really cool water from 66-72 degrees. Tank is currently at 70, though fluctuating due to heat waves!

Assuming I keep my tank at these parameters does anyone have recommendation about what else I should do. The tank is planted, but I think I may have to change out several of the plants. The FFF's are already starting to consider some of them a buffet. Are there other fish you would recommend keeping in this tank, or just leave it as a species tank? Neon Tetra's seem a good choice based on water conditions, but I am wary that the FFF's might make them a snack. They shouldn't bug them if I continue to give them lots of food though, and the FFF aren't particularly big fish. I am more interested in plants that may thrive at these lower temperatures.

Thank you!
BeerBattered is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
20 gallon, planted