120 gallon (48x24x24) Nano Fish Paradise - Pic heavy
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 06-11-2015, 07:11 PM   #1
Veritas
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)

120 gallon (48x24x24) Nano Fish Paradise - Pic heavy

Good afternoon all!

It's been a while since I updated anything with my tanks. I had a 92g Corner tank and a 29g tank - but when I overreacted and sold the 92g - I decided MTS was too much - and simplified into 1 aquarium.

I got an awesome deal on a 120g from the LFS. and started working on combining the tanks.

Here is in the initial layout. I really enjoyed it, but began to get stressed out by the Congo Tetras constantly fighting. Thinking they simply needed more space, I traded in the 12 Diamond Tetras to give the Congos more room.....no luck. Despite having a large group, and in my eyes - plenty of room - the males continued to battle it out.

After weeks of debating on what to do.....I decided to go with a tank full of Nanofish. While some might view this as a waste....I have always had a thing for micros.

Current Stocklist (Updated 6/23):
40 Emerald Dwarf Rasboras
8 Celestial Pearl Danios
12 Ember Tetras
7 Glowlight Danios
8 Neon Tetras
4 Asian Stone Catfish
2 Dwarf Gouramis
6 Scarlet Badis
12 Otos
a LOT of Red Cherry Shrimp
3 Amano Shrimp
Quite a few Assassin Snails
10 Neirite Snails
6 Ghost Shrimp

To come:
More CPDs! (awaiting arrival from the LFS)

thanks for looking!

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...881&highlight=

Last edited by Veritas; 07-31-2015 at 01:12 PM.. Reason: updates!
Veritas is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2015, 07:51 PM   #2
mo2vation
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)

I love 120's.... such great geometry for Scape'ing

Nanos... you're gonna find yourself adding nanos and adding and adding nanos until they are clouds in that tank.

And that is a very, very good thing.

I had two 90's and a 65 rolling in my quiver all at once. I ended up having zillions. The 65 ended up just being my cory tank...

I have a cory problem. I loves them way too much. Lil Super Mario looking freaks.

-K
mo2vation is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2015, 08:25 PM   #3
The Dude
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)

That's unfortunate about the Congo's. How many did you have? I have 7 and they are a joy to watch. They play tag in the morning, but no one is ever singled out. It almost looks like a relay race. Sometimes they will plow into the Bloodfin Tetras and scare them making them school up and swim across the tank in a tight school. I absolutely love mine.
That being said I'd at least double the size of those schools. I know neons and glow light tetras aren't the best schooling fish, but 20-25 of each along with 20-25 Rummynose or my favorite Bloodfins would really look cool.
I also like the scape of your tank. Very jungle looking but it still has a lot of open area for them to group in.
Perhaps that was an issue with the Congos. My tank has several very large pieces of driftwood that extend out of the water. There are huge line of sight breaks.
Member #13

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=678009
The Dude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2015, 10:44 PM   #4
Veritas
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I had a group of 8, 5 males and 3 females. The two biggest males constantly fought. I tried splitting the sight lines as well - but then they would run into it :/

Definitely agree on stocking numbers - there are more of each group coming

It will predominantly be Dwarf Emerald and Celestial Pearls, but plan to have schools of all kinds of nano fish!

Last edited by Veritas; 08-04-2015 at 12:33 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 06-23-2015, 11:52 AM   #5
Veritas
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Updates!

Will be adding more tonight - it was tough to get a good picture yesterday. The Finnex Planted+ 24/7 is amazing though - I am really excited for this fixture

Old 07-28-2015, 01:50 AM   #6
JEden8
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)

Good looking tank! What equipment are you running?
Old 07-28-2015, 12:14 PM   #7
Veritas
Planted Tank Enthusiast

thanks!

Equipment:
- Eheim 2075 Filter
- GLA inline co2
- Cascade 1000 Filter
- Hydor 300w inline (additional heater required during cold months)
- Aquaclear 110
Aquatek Paintball co2 w/ 24ounce co2

Lighting
Finnex 24/7 - 48"
Finnex Planted+ 24"
Current USA Sat+ 24"

Substrate
Miracle Gro Organic Potting mix, Black Diamond Blasting Sand cap

Last edited by Veritas; 08-04-2015 at 12:34 PM.. Reason: update
Old 07-28-2015, 12:57 PM   #8
HBdirtbag
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Curious, how long does a 24oz bottle last you?
Old 07-28-2015, 01:06 PM   #9
Veritas
Planted Tank Enthusiast

quite a while - probably 2-3 months.

I have a spare 24 ounce, as well as a couple of 12s from my paintball days that I keep as backup.

I plan to eventually upgrade the co2 system - as I'm not super happy with the quality of the Aquatek - but it works for now.

Old 07-31-2015, 01:02 PM   #10
OmegaCactus
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)

Awesome tank, and I love your choice for stocking!

Quick question - what temp do you keep it at?
OmegaCactus is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2015, 01:10 PM   #11
Veritas
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaCactus View Post
Awesome tank, and I love your choice for stocking!

Quick question - what temp do you keep it at?

It hovers around 74.7.

Added 5 more Scarlet Badis today. once they grow a little bit I will update the pics.

Old 07-31-2015, 01:40 PM   #12
WaterLife
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Nice tank. I like the diversity of fish. I too went with doing a micro community tank rather than larger fish.
Look into Psuedomugil rainbowfish species (Gertrudae Aru 2 or Aru 4, Paskai, etc.), even threadfin rainbows, small fish and are shrimp safe to the best of my knowledge (I've seen them kept in shrimp tanks). Colorful, very nice fins and definitely fun to watch them display at each other. Espei rasbora are another beautiful little fish.
Get some more bottom dwellers as well, maybe dwarf corydoras species (Corydoras pygmaeus, habrosus, hastatus)

Would be even nicer if you could get a picture that would do the tank justice (can tell pic quality is not so great, can't really see much of the small fish in the pic, and glass does look a bit dirty). Not bashing, I just know the tank look much better than the pic shows.

Has the gourami ate any shrimp? Aren't Badis a little mean to other fish even though they might be smaller (I know there is a reason I decided to not keep them, but can't remember what it was)?

I like that you are trying to grow plants above water too, just to give it that extra touch.
WaterLife is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2015, 01:49 PM   #13
Veritas
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterLife View Post
Nice tank. I like the diversity of fish. I too went with doing a micro community tank rather than larger fish.
Look into Psuedomugil rainbowfish species (Gertrudae Aru 2 or Aru 4, Paskai, etc.), even threadfin rainbows, small fish and are shrimp safe to the best of my knowledge (I've seen them kept in shrimp tanks). Colorful, very nice fins and definitely fun to watch them display at each other. Espei rasbora are another beautiful little fish.
Get some more bottom dwellers as well, maybe dwarf corydoras species (Corydoras pygmaeus, habrosus, hastatus)

Would be even nicer if you could get a picture that would do the tank justice (can tell pic quality is not so great, can't really see much of the small fish in the pic, and glass does look a bit dirty). Not bashing, I just know the tank look much better than the pic shows.

Has the gourami ate any shrimp? Aren't Badis a little mean to other fish even though they might be smaller (I know there is a reason I decided to not keep them, but can't remember what it was)?

I like that you are trying to grow plants above water too, just to give it that extra touch.

No offense taken at all. The pics are definitely not the best quality - definitely need to get some better ones up.

The gouramis are pretty well fed, and tend to ignore the shrimp. Though i'm sure i've lost a few here and there - it's impossible to know how many I have since they're constantly breeding.

The Badis are a litttle territorial - but each has enough room to carve out his own little territory (typically a section of branch, or section of moss)

dwarf corys are a GREAT idea! I hardly ever see the Asian Stone Catfish unless I am up late at night when the nights go dim, I'll have to check into the compatibility of them first though.

I will also look into the rainbowfish, haven't heard of that species before.

thanks for the comments! definitely appreciated!

Old 07-31-2015, 08:30 PM   #14
bpb
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

3 months on 24oz?!?!? On a 120?? Man what's your secret. I can EASILY blast through a 10# tank in 6 months on my 75 gallon.
bpb is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2015, 03:14 AM   #15
BigJay180
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas View Post
quite a while - probably 2-3 months.

I have a spare 24 ounce, as well as a couple of 12s from my paintball days that I keep as backup.

I plan to eventually upgrade the co2 system - as I'm not super happy with the quality of the Aquatek - but it works for now.
What's the problem with the quality of your Aquatek regulator?

What bothers you about it? Curious because I have two of three 24 ounce containers somewhere from my woods ball days, and an $80 regulator is all that I would need.
BigJay180 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Location. As precise as you feel comfortable with.
Security Question
While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, John and his friend Sally both spotted a dalmatian inside of a truck with sirens. The animal with John and Sally is a _ _ _?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.