Lighting help for established 40 gallon
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 08-13-2012, 03:13 AM   #1
Zefrik
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Lighting help for established 40 gallon

I have a 40 gallon breeder with 2 39watt t5 lights over it. There is no fish in the tank so the co2 is on pretty high. I am not getting good growth out of my glosso. Should I look into adding more light to the tank?
Zefrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:02 AM   #2
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (75/100%)

If you aren't getting good growth with even a FishNeedIt T5HO light, let alone a good quality T5HO light, you are very likely not dosing enough fertilizer, not providing enough CO2, or your water is lacking something like magnesium, which isn't in the routine EI dosing when you don't dose GH builder. The hardest one of those to be sure to get right is CO2. Have you tried gradually increasing the CO2 bubble rate to see if you can safely use more? And, how do you diffuse the CO2 into the water?
Old 08-14-2012, 02:23 AM   #3
Zefrik
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
If you aren't getting good growth with even a FishNeedIt T5HO light, let alone a good quality T5HO light, you are very likely not dosing enough fertilizer, not providing enough CO2, or your water is lacking something like magnesium, which isn't in the routine EI dosing when you don't dose GH builder. The hardest one of those to be sure to get right is CO2. Have you tried gradually increasing the CO2 bubble rate to see if you can safely use more? And, how do you diffuse the CO2 into the water?
Everything is growing okay other than the glosso and the glosso is just growing straight up, not sending runners.
Old 08-14-2012, 04:22 AM   #4
HypnoticAquatic
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

is the glosso established? was it new grown emersed? all the little things take time to transition to YOUR tank, glosso is a stem plant and will grow up even in high light you have to train it to get good horizontal growth by trimming the tops known as topping the plant. ive had glosso under a very very bright led and it would grow strait up if you let it so everything u see is all manicured to look a way that we like it most of the shapes are not natural.

also if your co2 is very high you need to look at your o2 levels as the roots need o2, but with little info its a guessing game of whats the issue.
HypnoticAquatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 02:47 PM   #5
Zefrik
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HypnoticAquatic View Post
is the glosso established? was it new grown emersed? all the little things take time to transition to YOUR tank, glosso is a stem plant and will grow up even in high light you have to train it to get good horizontal growth by trimming the tops known as topping the plant. ive had glosso under a very very bright led and it would grow strait up if you let it so everything u see is all manicured to look a way that we like it most of the shapes are not natural.

also if your co2 is very high you need to look at your o2 levels as the roots need o2, but with little info its a guessing game of whats the issue.
Yes the glosso is established. It has been in the tank for 5-6 months. The substrate is Eco-Complete. The filter is an Eheim 2217. The co2 is coming from a glass/ceramic diffuser that is sitting directly under the 2217s intake. I does NPK on Monday, Wednesday and Friday and Trace on Tuesday and Thursday. I do a 50% waterchange a week.

The one thing I can maybe see affecting the glosso would be that they get shaded at times by some of the other plants. But it is hard to use 2 lights over a tank that is 18 inches from front to back. It never seems to get even light distribution.