aquarium advice *help needed* - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 08-14-2012, 10:22 AM   #16
aweeby
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (37/100%)

you'll probably want to post this in the correct subforum next time. You'll get better answers and more attention, even if this subforum seems to get more views.
anyway, your issue is likely due to nutrient deficiency. Pick up some dry macros and micros online and mix up a solution, there's a fertilizer calculator in the fertilizer subforum. Like someone else said, your shrimps can handle fertilizer. if you dose properly and you have something with decent cation exchange capability (which you seem to have) you won't need aquasoil. IMO I wouldn't crank the light for 12 hours, you don't seem to have much in the way of plants, so there's a good chance you'll just get an unwanted algae bloom. Rather, aim for somewhere in between. 8 hours seems to work on my low tech tanks. get a timer, if you haven't already. also if you expect it to carpet, I'd take it out of the pot and separate them into as small bundles as can. good luck and welcome to the forum from a fellow 808er.

Old 08-14-2012, 01:55 PM   #17
Shrimpaholic
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

My tank is dedicated to shrimp. I have one Aqueon 15w full spectrum flourescent and one single bright LED. The single bright LED isn't very bright however, between the two of my lights it seems to be enough light for my tank. I have a bunch of different plants in my tank as it is heavily planted. I dose Aqueon Plant Food twice a week. (APF isn't considered a complete plant food but my plants are green and are growing) I only dose half the amount that is recommended each dosing which is why I do it twice a week rather than once. I do this to give the plants a more consistent nutrient source, and so it isn't as hard on my shrimp.l I don't mess with Co2 because I don't want to gas my shrimp to death and I don't want the pH fluctuatilons.

I also like to give my shrimp 12hrs of light a day because most of the dwarf shrimp we keep in aquariums come frome places that in general receive more or less this much daylight in a day.

The previous poster has a point, you don't have a lot of plants at the moment so excessive light and to much ferts will lead to excessive algae. I've never been completely overrun with algae running for 12hrs a day on a timer.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/yo...o=view&id=3653
Shrimpaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 02:47 PM   #18
pejerrey
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimpaholic View Post
5 hours? Don't most plants need around 12? I run mine 12 hours but I see that many run there's for 10.
I think it depends on the light.

I have my plants on 6hrs divided in two sections. (3on-3off-3on-15off)

There is co2 24/7 and ferts.

Ph is constant 5.6 day/night.

CRS SS, CBS SSS, OEBTs and blue velvets.

Bees are breeding

A heavily planted shrimp tank is possible!
pejerrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 04:17 PM   #19
Dugsul808
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aweeby View Post
you'll probably want to post this in the correct subforum next time. You'll get better answers and more attention, even if this subforum seems to get more views.
anyway, your issue is likely due to nutrient deficiency. Pick up some dry macros and micros online and mix up a solution, there's a fertilizer calculator in the fertilizer subforum. Like someone else said, your shrimps can handle fertilizer. if you dose properly and you have something with decent cation exchange capability (which you seem to have) you won't need aquasoil. IMO I wouldn't crank the light for 12 hours, you don't seem to have much in the way of plants, so there's a good chance you'll just get an unwanted algae bloom. Rather, aim for somewhere in between. 8 hours seems to work on my low tech tanks. get a timer, if you haven't already. also if you expect it to carpet, I'd take it out of the pot and separate them into as small bundles as can. good luck and welcome to the forum from a fellow 808er.
Thanks man hope this works
Dugsul808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 04:19 PM   #20
Dugsul808
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimpaholic View Post
My tank is dedicated to shrimp. I have one Aqueon 15w full spectrum flourescent and one single bright LED. The single bright LED isn't very bright however, between the two of my lights it seems to be enough light for my tank. I have a bunch of different plants in my tank as it is heavily planted. I dose Aqueon Plant Food twice a week. (APF isn't considered a complete plant food but my plants are green and are growing) I only dose half the amount that is recommended each dosing which is why I do it twice a week rather than once. I do this to give the plants a more consistent nutrient source, and so it isn't as hard on my shrimp.l I don't mess with Co2 because I don't want to gas my shrimp to death and I don't want the pH fluctuatilons.

I also like to give my shrimp 12hrs of light a day because most of the dwarf shrimp we keep in aquariums come frome places that in general receive more or less this much daylight in a day.

The previous poster has a point, you don't have a lot of plants at the moment so excessive light and to much ferts will lead to excessive algae. I've never been completely overrun with algae running for 12hrs a day on a timer.
Thanks man I'll take all of your advice and try to make my tank as best as possible
Dugsul808 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
carpeting, dwarf hair grass, lighting, shrimps