aquarium advice *help needed*
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 08-14-2012, 05:15 AM   #1
Dugsul808
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

aquarium advice *help needed*

this is my aquarium. its a 3 gallon eclipse tank. everything is original except for the light. its a t5 6500k 6watt i dont know if its no or ho. but is this enough to carpet the whole tank? and may i have carpeting advice. im going to carpet dwarf hairgrass but still waiting to pick up ada soil. advices anyone?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	52347  

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	52348  

Dugsul808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2012, 05:41 AM   #2
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (174/100%)

Becareful of algae with dwarf hair grass. If you are wishing to carpet ,you ate going to need several more pots than what is siting in the tank.

Your substrate looks like fine akadama... What is it?

Since the tank is livestock free, consider doing a dry start to help establish the root system prior to filling the tank with water.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:08 AM   #3
Dugsul808
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acitydweller View Post
Becareful of algae with dwarf hair grass. If you are wishing to carpet ,you ate going to need several more pots than what is siting in the tank.

Your substrate looks like fine akadama... What is it?

Since the tank is livestock free, consider doing a dry start to help establish the root system prior to filling the tank with water.
It's some sort of aquarium plant gravel. Doesn't give any nutrients to the dwarf hair grass roots that I've got planted in te gravel. Can't see it but it's doing alright it hasnt grown since April so I've been thinking about getting Ada soil.
But is that lighting good enough to carpet? And what do I do for the dry start?
Old 08-14-2012, 06:35 AM   #4
Bananariot
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)

Lighting question should probably be posted in lighting section......and dry start is simply filling the tank up and keeping the gravel moist to grow hair grass like it's grass on land. Details should be found in the plant section
Bananariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 06:39 AM   #5
Dugsul808
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananariot View Post
Lighting question should probably be posted in lighting section......and dry start is simply filling the tank up and keeping the gravel moist to grow hair grass like it's grass on land. Details should be found in the plant section
Not that many people post on both sections when ever I post so I tried this out
Old 08-14-2012, 06:44 AM   #6
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (174/100%)

The fact that the hair grass isn't turning yellow means the light is sufficient for sustaining it. Carpeting will require that you take it out of the pot though, incase that wasn't obvious.

Your gravel is pretty attractive. I would keep it and add some root tabs or osmocote pellets into the substrate for nutrients. Use it sparingly since your tank is a nano.

If you went with ada aqua soil or the equivalent, or even miracle grow organic, it would already have the nutrients within. Both options would work. Just know that dwarf hair grass requires trimming, or mowing, maintenance so if you are a fan of lawn care, have at it and get yourself a long pair of scissors. Just trim before water changes so you can clean up the loose debris each time. No mulching in these tanks. Good luck and hope your tank takes off soon.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:54 AM   #7
Dugsul808
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acitydweller View Post
The fact that the hair grass isn't turning yellow means the light is sufficient for sustaining it. Carpeting will require that you take it out of the pot though, incase that wasn't obvious.

Your gravel is pretty attractive. I would keep it and add some root tabs or osmocote pellets into the substrate for nutrients. Use it sparingly since your tank is a nano.

If you went with ada aqua soil or the equivalent, or even miracle grow organic, it would already have the nutrients within. Both options would work. Just know that dwarf hair grass requires trimming, or mowing, maintenance so if you are a fan of lawn care, have at it and get yourself a long pair of scissors. Just trim before water changes so you can clean up the loose debris each time. No mulching in these tanks. Good luck and hope your tank takes off soon.
What if it's turning yellow? Then does that mean I need to upgrade on my light? Because the tip of the potted hair grass is turning yellow and so is the ones that's already planted in the gravel. I only run my light 5 hours a day do maybe that's why it's turning yellow also?

Last edited by Dugsul808; 08-14-2012 at 06:55 AM.. Reason: Forgot to add stuff
Old 08-14-2012, 07:05 AM   #8
Shrimpaholic
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

5 hours? Don't most plants need around 12? I run mine 12 hours but I see that many run there's for 10.
Shrimpaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:09 AM   #9
Dugsul808
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimpaholic View Post
5 hours? Don't most plants need around 12? I run mine 12 hours but I see that many run there's for 10.
So would you recommend me trying to run mines for 10 hours a day?
Old 08-14-2012, 07:20 AM   #10
Shrimpaholic
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Well my plants are all healthy, all I have is sand for substrate and that's what I do. Look at it this way, how many places where most of the plants we keep in aquariums originate in nature get 5 hours a day of sunlight? Perhaps one of the veteran planted tank members care to chime in?
Shrimpaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:40 AM   #11
Dugsul808
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimpaholic View Post
Well my plants are all healthy, all I have is sand for substrate and that's what I do. Look at it this way, how many places where most of the plants we keep in aquariums originate in nature get 5 hours a day of sunlight? Perhaps one of the veteran planted tank members care to chime in?
I see maybe I just need more light. Thanks man
Old 08-14-2012, 08:04 AM   #12
Dugsul808
Planted Member

Any more advices anyone?
Old 08-14-2012, 08:48 AM   #13
Dany08fa
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)

I used hairgrass in my 10gal with very low light, regular gravel substrate, no co2 and just dosed flourish weekly. DHG stayed green and alive but no runners and super slow growth. My tank where i use pressurized co2, high light, fluval stratum, florish and root tabs carpeted pretty quick. I saw runners in less than a week after planting. I leave my lights on for 12hrs a day

Yellowing doesnt always mean insufficient lighting. Could be lack of minerals/nutrients. I believe DHG needs lots of iron someone correct me if im wrong.

Try using crushed root tabs($5-$10), dosing liquid ferts($5-$10) and DIY co2($0-$5) are all cheap good options. You might not need them but theyre cheap and WILL help a ton IME with DHG.

For carpeting some tips would be to plant it small clumps and have them grow/fill in the spaces in between. Youtube and google search "dwarfhairgrass carpet" there should be lots of info on how to.
Dany08fa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:31 AM   #14
Dugsul808
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dany08fa View Post
I used hairgrass in my 10gal with very low light, regular gravel substrate, no co2 and just dosed flourish weekly. DHG stayed green and alive but no runners and super slow growth. My tank where i use pressurized co2, high light, fluval stratum, florish and root tabs carpeted pretty quick. I saw runners in less than a week after planting. I leave my lights on for 12hrs a day

Yellowing doesnt always mean insufficient lighting. Could be lack of minerals/nutrients. I believe DHG needs lots of iron someone correct me if im wrong.

Try using crushed root tabs($5-$10), dosing liquid ferts($5-$10) and DIY co2($0-$5) are all cheap good options. You might not need them but theyre cheap and WILL help a ton IME with DHG.

For carpeting some tips would be to plant it small clumps and have them grow/fill in the spaces in between. Youtube and google search "dwarfhairgrass carpet" there should be lots of info on how to.
Thanks man! Only problem is I got shimps. So I need to find a new tank to keep them in if I do carpet out my 3 gallon
Old 08-14-2012, 09:59 AM   #15
Dany08fa
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)

I have shrimps in all my tanks as well. I just dose low and use very little co2
Dany08fa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
carpeting, dwarf hair grass, lighting, shrimps