Grow More Iron Chelate 10% and other chelates
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 08-25-2015, 05:35 AM   #1
Lazaro
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Grow More Iron Chelate 10% and other chelates

I have two questions:

First can i get a breakdown of edta, dhtp and eddha. I head one is good for soft low ph and another is good for hard high ph...one lasts for 4-6hours the other last for 3 days...depending on hardness and ph? I'm not quite clear among all the searches i did.

In case of soft water and low ph, which one would be good?

Second, any of these okay as source of iron:

Amazon.com: Grow More 7451 2-Pound Organic Iron Chelate: Patio, Lawn & Garden Amazon.com: Grow More 7451 2-Pound Organic Iron Chelate: Patio, Lawn & Garden

Amazon.com : Grow More 6546 EDDHA Iron Chelate, 1-Pound : Patio, Lawn & Garden Amazon.com : Grow More 6546 EDDHA Iron Chelate, 1-Pound : Patio, Lawn & Garden

First one has HEDTA as oppose to EDTA. From my laymans understading, does the H break off from the EDTA when in water?

Second one has eddha which i hear last longer in water and doesn't precipitate or degrade in light? However, I recall some people turned off buy it's brown pinkish hew it leaves. Any experience?

Here's a picuture of edta vs eddha for what it's worth, again eddha possibly kickin butt due to being light proof:

Last edited by Lazaro; 08-25-2015 at 05:16 PM.. Reason: Typo
Lazaro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2015, 07:20 AM   #2
Raymond S.
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)

DTPA is for lower PH.
I would rather pay two cents more and get the type made for aquariums from one of
the people who sell it on the forum such as this one whom I have bought from with
no issues etc.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=898001
I had curling of the leaves and the underside of them was yellow till I added the DTPA.
Apparently the type of plant wasn't happy with the amount supplied by the CSM+B
that I was dosing. That contains the EDTA type from what I hear.
Old 08-25-2015, 04:08 PM   #3
Lazaro
Algae Grower

Read Plantex CSM has EDTA and mixing with DTPA makes for wider range or chelates hence more iron absorption if recall correctly.

Came across a picture of the stability of different chelates at different PH:

Picture from this sight

Perhaps answered part of first question. That still gets me curious how hardness comes into play when chelates break down.

My other question, is the H in HEDTA toxic to fish or is the OH fine?

Would be great since this stuff is cheap at a local nursery.

Last edited by Lazaro; 08-25-2015 at 04:16 PM.. Reason: response to Raymon and format
Old 08-26-2015, 08:42 AM   #4
Lazaro
Algae Grower

Guess I'll bump. Looks like HEDTA is one notch lower that DTPA interms of stability/ph factor.

Really want to use
Grow More Iron Chelate 10% Grow More Iron Chelate 10%
being so local and cheap.

Anyone want to chime in on this?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Location. As precise as you feel comfortable with.
Security Question
While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, John and his friend Sally both spotted a dalmatian inside of a truck with sirens. The animal with John and Sally is a _ _ _?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.