critique my plant selection please
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping

Old 08-13-2012, 04:24 AM   #1
pandacory
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

critique my plant selection please

i will be setting up 2x 20gal longs that have been sitting empty since the move.
I have injected co2 and am using the coralife 2 bulb t5no units sitting directly on the glass tops. filtration will be via sump, and circulation via rear wall mounted spraybar about half way down the tank, with a valve linked to a directional sprayer on one side. both will be using aquasoil amazonia new capped with the powder type. these tanks will be dosed pretty simply: iron bottom and dolomite/penac will be added to the substrate, pferts brand micronutrients will be used (already have this), and i do water changes with RO water that i buffer with potassium bicarbonate and calcium bicarbonate mix. Nitrates via fish waste, phosphates via spoiled (i.e. overfed) fish. i also ocassionally throw in some sea weed extract for organic micros and potassium.

i do not plan on including background stems, since i am hoping not to have to trim every week. I always say that, but end up putting them in anyway. the lighting choice, co2 and ferts are aimed at achieving relatively slow growth in foreground.

opinions/suggestions welcome. thanks for your time.

Tank 1: jungle, hopefully low trimming requirements
Foreground: I plan on doing a few different sections to ease the transition from open water to the thicket
glossostigma elatinoides
Hemianthus Callitricoides 'Cuba'
Staurogryne repens “porto vehlo” – don’t have a source for this

Epiphytes: this will have one piece of driftwood, with concentrated plantings at the base and exposed branching (already found the piece)
Anubias Barteri var. nana (might use only anubias Petite nana)
Anubias Barteri var. Coffeefolia (might use only anubias Petite nana)
Microsorum pteropus 'narrow'
bolbitis heudelotii

Jungle foliage plants:
Hydrocotle sp. “Japan” – don’t have a source for this
crypt parva
crypt undulates
crypt lutea
crypt wendtii bronze
crypt wendtii red mi oya
crypt wendtii green
crypt pontederifolia
crypt Balansae
crypt blasii

i may also throw in some chain sword i already have so it fills in a little faster. I plan on slowly growning my crypt collection to include some of the rarer stuff (most of these crypts i already have, just not in the density i would like for this tank)

Tank 2: iwagumi, also going for low trimming requirements
For around the rocks: blyxa Japonica
Everywhere else: Eleocharis acicularis
pandacory is offline   Reply With Quote