How to stabiilize pH if it gets to low
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 08-13-2012, 01:42 AM   #1
Shrimpaholic
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

How to stabiilize pH if it gets to low

I'm not sure that this will be a problem in my tank but, I was curious as to how I would maintain my pH If it gets lower than I would like it. Previously I had been using Seachem Nuetral Regulator to maintain my pH at 6.8. My pH never quite reached 7.0 while using Neutral Regulator. I had been advised to not use this product for several reasons so now, I use straight RO water and add Fluval Shrimp Mineral to keep my GH AT 5.

Now after several water changes over the course of a month, and having to top off my tank everyday because of the fan blowing on my water 24/7, my pH is 6.5. My RO water tests at a pH of 6.2 I know that even at 6.2 my Bee's will be fine, I'm just worried that if it gets to low it may negatively effect my RCS. My Substrate is black sand so it doesn't have the ability to buffer my pH either way.

What can I do to keep my pH at 6.6-6.8? I read somewhere on these forums that some people use Seachem Discus buffer. Is this safe for my shrimps or is there other things I can do to keep my pH within my target range?

pH 6.5
Temp 72F
TDS 170-185
GH 5
KH 1
Amonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate < 5ppm

My tank is heavily planted with some driftwood and rocks I found near a river. My tank has been up for over a year.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/yo...o=view&id=3653
Shrimpaholic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2012, 01:59 AM   #2
Shrimpaholic
Planted Member

Hmm...I just read about Seachem Discus buffer and it percipitates calcium and magnesium and lowers GH. This doesn't sound like something that would be good for shrimps.

Old 08-13-2012, 02:23 AM   #3
sbarbee54
The Security Dude

PTrader: (109/100%)

Crushed coral a bunch of us use it
Finnex Pimp #8
sbarbee54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2012, 02:38 AM   #4
Shrimpaholic
Planted Member

Ahh that's right. I guess I need to look into that. I have two Aqueon HOB filters, 125gph and 150gph. You put this in your filters? And how much roughly would one need to add? Ihave a 20g tank.

Old 08-13-2012, 03:14 AM   #5
Shrimpaholic
Planted Member

Alright so it seems 1 to 2 teaspoons would be sufficent. For now I think I will just monitor my pH until or if it gets lower than I want it. I'm hesitant to use it for the moment though because I don't want drastic changes and, I really don't want to increase my KH. I'm way more concerned about the CRS than the RCS anyways.

If anyone has any advice they could add, I would greatly appreciate it.

Old 08-13-2012, 07:02 AM   #6
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27

my crystal reds dip in the ph of 5 range and do just fine gh is like 7 kh is like 2 so i dont think you need to worry to much about them just drip them slow when adding them. crs like lower ph any way so below 7 is good for them
wicca27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.