Hardscape advice
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping

Old 08-12-2012, 08:59 AM   #1
abhishekls
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Hardscape advice

I need advice on the following hardscapes,
Which one looks better, What can be altered etc

I am attaching the pics I could take for the arrangements.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Layout1.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	52278  

Name:	Layout2.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	52280  

Name:	Layout3.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	52281  

Name:	Layout4.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	52282  

abhishekls is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2012, 02:52 PM   #2
alkatraz
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Disclaimer: I am a newb

Nice rocks! I would say they all look pretty damn good but I would go with #4.

Are you going for Iwagumi? If so take a look at http://www.thegreenmachineonline.com...s-introduction

They recommend an odd number of stones which makes sense as your 6 rocks look very balanced on either side creating 2 equal focal points. I believe a primary focal point is preferred which draws you eye across the aquascape. Can you get 1 more stone, 1.5-2x larger than the current largest stone? That would become your new master stone and give you the option to do 5 or 7 stones.

Again, it looks great as is to me and I'm a newb.
alkatraz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2012, 05:51 PM   #3
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

The rocks look like they are different species of rock. A couple are angled, sharp, chipped. The others are rounded. Usually this is not as common in nature. When the rocks are getting exposed in a hillside as if they have been underground for many many years, they usually look like they are all the same material, and are often angled, chipped. If the rocks came from a wet place they are almost all tumbled, rounded and smoothed by the water. In nature, which is large, you might find different rocks near each other, and the contrast shows. In an aquarium, a small slice of nature, it usually works better if the rocks are more uniform.

Similar rocks can work if they are mostly hidden by plants. A bit of color shows through, or an edge here or there. Then you cannot tell if the rocks are the same. These are similar enough for that use.

Anyway, the layouts:
You are using the same layout on the left each time. I would rotate that one vertical rock so it is aimed toward the middle of the tank, not out the side.
Then make the angled rock on the right at the same angle, but yes, out the side.
This way it looks like they are parts of the same rock that is getting exposed gradually as the soil erodes.
Once you have those two placed, and try them more to one side or the other, closer to each other, farther away, in front of/behind each other...
... then place the other rocks.

As two equal piles of 3 rocks the layout is too symmetrical.
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.