Emersed Setup help and suggestions - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Riparium/Terrarium/Vivarium

Old 08-14-2012, 01:39 AM   #16
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

wisteria also changes form in the emersed form. it looks nothing like it does submersed. and lexan works better than plexi. a bit more costly, but you can get a thicker piece to avoid warpage, yet it won't diffuse the light like a similar thickness plexi. home depot and lowe's both carry it
Fishies_in_Philly is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2012, 01:47 AM   #17
Cobfreak
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)

this stuff that I called "plexiglass" could be something else for all I know. I bought it years ago, from Lowe's I think. It comes in sheets and the label says PLGA 080. It's very clear and hasn't warped yet.

Last edited by Cobfreak; 08-14-2012 at 02:52 AM.. Reason: misspelling
Cobfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 01:47 AM   #18
Cobfreak
Algae Grower

Updates:
The plexiglass on top has warped some, but I've got weights on the sides now so it's not a problem.

The plants haven't melted yet; some of them are stretching up toward the light more now than when I planted them. It's staying very humid inside. I have the setup in my basement now, the heat from the light is keeping it consistently around 78 degrees f.

I can't tell if all of this means the plants will keep going or will just take longer to melt and start with emersed form.

Here are some images:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	emersedplants20120815.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	52417  

Name:	unidentifiedemersedcrypt20120815.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	52418  

Name:	emersedparva20120815.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	52419  

Old 08-17-2012, 12:11 PM   #19
duff
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (29/100%)

They look very happy, might be that you will not get much melt if they are looking this perky. The crypt in the middle picture, I would suggest trimming the leaves that are draped over the side, those will most likely be the leaves that eventually melt. Trimming should also give the roots a bit more time to settle in. I found that any leaves that touched the pot sides eventually melted, easier to get them before them melt. Looks like your coming along nicely!
Old 08-17-2012, 01:07 PM   #20
Cobfreak
Algae Grower

Thanks for that tip, I do feel like those leaves that are still drooping are just going to die off. I'll probably do a trim this weekend.

I pulled out some other crypts from my aquarium, two that are either retrospiralis or spiralis. Put those in two pots and inside the setup.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:46 AM   #21
duff
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (29/100%)

Hey Cobfreak, Checking in to see how your set up is doing? hope it's doing well!
Old 08-27-2012, 12:55 AM   #22
Cobfreak
Algae Grower

Thanks for the bump. It's actually doing very well. Main reason I don't post much about it is that it's difficult to get pictures. I keep the top on most of the time so far.

I will get some pictures up here soon. Last time I checked there were new leaves making appearances from most of the pots.
Old 08-30-2012, 06:46 PM   #23
Wy Renegade
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

Looks like you are off to a nice start.
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:35 PM   #24
Cobfreak
Algae Grower

Default Update

A couple of updated photos here. One of the biggest problems with this setup is that it's boring have an emersed setup that I can't really see without removing the light and the lid. Also hard to get photos of.

I've added some more plants in pots since starting - there are now two crypt spiralis or retrospiralis, and a pot with some non-crypts, including a ludwigia repens arcuata. Everything is growing very well. Not incredibly fast, but nice healthy growth.

I still haven't added a fan. I mist this thing once in a while, but the whole setup stays very moist inside due to the fountain pump and being nearly air tight. I added some dry ferts into the water today, I've done that at least once before.

Pictures are of the unknown crypt, the ludwigia, and finally a side shot including the unknown, the spiralis, and the two moehlmannii in the background.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	unidentified crypt 2012 09 10.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	482.5 KB
ID:	53677  

Name:	ludwigia repens arcuata emersed 2012 09 10.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	397.6 KB
ID:	53678  

Name:	crypts from the side 2012 09 10.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	411.1 KB
ID:	53679  

Old 09-11-2012, 03:03 PM   #25
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Looking good your crypt looks like either c. Lutea or c. Lucens. I have the same crypt in my tree frog viv and i have had it so long i forgot what species it is....lol And are you sure that is ludwigia repens x arcuata? It looks more like either hygrophilia lancea or persicaria 'sao paulo'. Seems like it has alternating individual nodes instead of a pair of leaves per node.
Fishies_in_Philly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:43 PM   #26
Cobfreak
Algae Grower

Good eye. Yes I realized last night that I may have mis-identified that stem plant. I bought three species at the time that I bought that one and was thinking I'd put the ludwigia in there. It's actually Persicaria Kawaegonum.

Tags
cryptocoryne, emersed, substrate