Rehabbing a Fluval Chi
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 08-11-2012, 12:31 PM   #1
Supernaturalist
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Rehabbing a Fluval Chi

I work at a pet store that displays a 5 gal Fluval Chi at our register. Its current stocking list is:

Flora: Algae!
Fauna: A molly with wasting disease, an otocinclus and a common pleco.

I've gotten permission from my boss to tear it down and re-build it. I'm still new to planted tanks but I think I can make some improvements. I had plans of a nice centerpiece of Windelov Fern and covering that planting box with Fissidens Fontanus and scattering very small Marimo balls over the rest of the tank.

That's not to be however. I'm limited to stocking with things that we carry or can order and everything has to stay stock. If I can convince them to let me ditch the planting box I can do a nice driftwood and anubias piece, but the only ones we get in are flat ones so I can't stick one in the "planter" upright like I'd like.

I need suggestions for plants for stocking a stock Fluval Chi that are readily available through retailers. I've got a few ideas but I'm not in love with any of them. I've got the fish thing under control though. I'll be doing RCS, either Celestial Pearl Danios or Ember Tetras depending on availability and an Oto or two.

I'll be getting a full list of what we can order from our supplier on Monday, and will likely be tearing this thing down when the plants I order come in on Wednesday. Until then I need some help brainstorming please!
Supernaturalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2012, 01:42 PM   #2
KlintZquarium
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

By "tear down", I assume you mean dumping everything, scraping off all the algae, scrubbing out the filter compartment, etc. Are you dumping everything except the planter box?

An extensive cleaning means you'll have to re-cycle the tank. That leaves the dilemma of fish-in or fishless cycling. Customers (not to mention your boss) may not like seeing a fish tank on display with no fish. They may wonder what's wrong with the stuff you sell.

What does the pet store carry in stock? What will you be using for substrate? Do you carry anything with the right bacteria, such as Tetra SafeStart?
KlintZquarium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 04:34 PM   #3
Supernaturalist
Algae Grower

I have to leave the planing box in. I'll be using plain old black sand. I will be cycling with Danios because as you said, bosses and customers can't handle empty tanks. I think I will clean it up and do some basic planting today. I'll plant some ludwigia in the center box and put a java plant and an anubias in the back on rocks to each side. I might redo it after seeing the whole list of what we can order but right now it's do it today or come in on my day off.
Old 08-11-2012, 04:58 PM   #4
KlintZquarium
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supernaturalist View Post
I'll be using plain old black sand.
Check out the "Substrate" section of this forum. Your plants need substance--something sand won't provide.

Eco-Complete is almost all black (few colored bits here and there). That alone would be better for plants than straight sand.

Do a search on here for "Fluval Chi" and see what others have done with that setup. Or look through the "Planted Nano Tanks" section of this site.

Last edited by KlintZquarium; 08-11-2012 at 05:25 PM.. Reason: changed "nano" to "planted nano tanks"
Old 08-11-2012, 10:48 PM   #5
Supernaturalist
Algae Grower

Oh believe me I know. We don't carry it and my boss doesn't want to get it in but now that I've offered it she wants real plants in the tank. I was inspired by what other people have done with the nano to offer to fix this one.

I wish I never had offered. I asked my boss if I could use a marineland stealth heater we've had on sale for ages in the tank. No, I can't because then people will think that the Chi package comes with a heater and it's too ugly. I told her that pretty much screws up my whole idea for the tank and that tropical fish and plants need a heater. She told me to come up with something else that doesn't need one but not a betta since we have another one in another ugly display tank.
Old 08-11-2012, 10:58 PM   #6
CryptKeeper54
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Oh believe me I know. We don't carry it and my boss doesn't want to get it in but now that I've offered it she wants real plants in the tank. I was inspired by what other people have done with the nano to offer to fix this one.

I wish I never had offered. I asked my boss if I could use a marineland stealth heater we've had on sale for ages in the tank. No, I can't because then people will think that the Chi package comes with a heater and it's too ugly. I told her that pretty much screws up my whole idea for the tank and that tropical fish and plants need a heater. She told me to come up with something else that doesn't need one but not a betta since we have another one in another ugly display tank.
Your boss is lame. I wouldn't put to much thought into it if I were you.
CLUBS: 12 Gal Long Club,***Nikon Pimp #062***
RETIRED: ADA Mini M, Schuber Wright Mini 66, Fluval Spec, Fluval Spec V, EheimAquastyle 6g, Fluval Edge 6g, 44 Pentagon
Owner/Creator of Plantednanotanks.com
CryptKeeper54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 11:36 PM   #7
KlintZquarium
Algae Grower

Quote:
I asked my boss if I could use a marineland stealth heater we've had on sale for ages in the tank. No, I can't because then people will think that the Chi package comes with a heater and it's too ugly.
There was a major recall on those stealth heaters anyway.

Anyway, there are many types of small heaters for 5G-and-under aquariums. On your display, list a price for the Fluval Chi, as well as price for the heater, and other items in the aquarium, with the "total cost" listed. That will subtlely tell your customers that the heater is a separate cost item.

Just be sure to write "accessories & fish not included" on that sign.