FugeRay or ML-T4854
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Sponsors > Finnex / Schuber Wright

Old 08-09-2012, 04:19 AM   #1
IsNull
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

FugeRay or ML-T4854

Our bare tank is a standard 55g 48x13 that is 20" deep.

I am attempting a freshwater low tech solution with relatively beginner plants, but would like to do some carpet type plants in a section of the tank.

This is the plant list I'm considering:
Hornwort
Anacharis
Anubias
Dwarf Hygrophila
Wisteria
Vallisneria
Ozelot Sword
Pygmy chain sword

I'm pretty sure the old single tube florescent lighting (2x 22.5") isn't going to work this time around. DIY probably isn't going to meet the WAF either. And, neither will a hood that has a loud fan (if that is even an issue for this setup).

From reading the threads and advice given other posters, I would want a low-medium light ~30-40 PAR?

Honestly I have never heard of Finnex until coming here and clicking on a banner link, which typically isn't something I do to often in my line of work. Your prices are quite reasonable and further digging seems to indicate a general recommendation by the user base here.

I believe the Ray2 is to much light (if I understand correctly) for my low tech tank. So I was looking at the FugeRay or the ML-T4854. But I'm afraid the ML-T4854 may be too bright too. Would I be able to use two of the FugeRays? At 24" I'm afraid they may be to wide, or two would put out two much light. To fit smoothly on the tank top, they would need to be 22.5 - 23.25" wide.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
IsNull is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2012, 02:48 PM   #2
Lowe
Finnex

PTrader: (2/100%)

Hi there. We have a 48" FugeRay coming out next month. They've not forward me the numbers for the fixture yet but I'm thinking it may suit your low light needs.

As for the ML T5 fixture, many of our retail associates used this fixture on their planted display tanks for years. One in particular I do not recall them using pressurized CO2 but was dosing excel. Hope this information helps a bit.

Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 03:21 PM   #3
IsNull
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

I can wait a few weeks on the 48" FugeRay.

Thanks Lowe!
IsNull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 05:33 AM   #4
Dahammer
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowe View Post
Hi there. We have a 48" FugeRay coming out next month. They've not forward me the numbers for the fixture yet but I'm thinking it may suit your low light needs.

As for the ML T5 fixture, many of our retail associates used this fixture on their planted display tanks for years. One in particular I do not recall them using pressurized CO2 but was dosing excel. Hope this information helps a bit.
Could you possibly find out the PAR readings for the new 48" fixture? I'm contemplating returning an Aqueon LED fixture I recently purchased and getting yours instead. I too am looking for low to medium light in a 48" fixture with about 19" from the top of the tank to the substrate.
Dahammer is offline   Reply With Quote