Beginner questions re: stocking options
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 08-09-2012, 03:50 AM   #1
duganderson
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Beginner questions re: stocking options

Hello,

I just bought a Aqueon 8 gallon cube with LEDs (soon to be heated) and I'm looking for stocking suggestions. I may return this and get the new 5 gallon spec. fluval aquarium.

I have a non-aggressive Beta and would like suggestions of other fish and creatures for this tank. I like colorful and interesting fish and creatures. I had a ghost shrimp in the past that I liked too. I'm looking for fairly low maintenance for now (but I am patient and have a successful saltwater coral and fish tank).

What would you recommend for stocking this tank (which fish/creatures and how many of each)?

Currently, I will be running a pebble aquarium substrate and have a couple Java moss and I would like to add a piece of wood and some rocks. The Beta and substrate are in a 2 g. bowl now.

What kind of simple plants would you recommend for starter plants?

Any other tips, books, web pages, etc. would be really appreciated.

Thank you, Doug
duganderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2012, 05:04 AM   #2
caykuu
Planted Tank Obsessed

8 gallons is pretty small, and won't be able to healthily stock much other fish. It's basically a perfect size for a single betta.

If you're really intent on adding more though: a few females guppies or 5 neon/cardinal tetras... but I don't recommend it. :s
caykuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:11 PM   #3
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

If you stay with the 8 then there are a few options, but don't overdo it. If you bump down to the 5 there is not really as many options. The problem is not that things can go right, but what happens when they go wrong. Small volume of water is not enough buffer to keep parameters stable when problems crop up.

5: Single Betta, perhaps an Oto as long as the Betta is cool with that. Or maybe a snail.
8: Try 3-5 of the dwarf Cories with the Betta.

OR
5: Pretty small for a small school of anything. You just cannot get enough fish in there for a good social structure. A few male Endlers are small enough and not dependent on schooling.
8:Small school of the smallest fish: Dwarf Rasboras, Ember Tetras, Threadfin Rainbows. (No Betta)

OR

Shrimp tank.
Diana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:33 PM   #4
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (174/100%)

for consideration

1 single betta, or a dozen dwarf shrimp

Anubias nana petite, small crypts, exotic mosses (peacock, xmas, taiwan), small java fern
Eco-complete substrate, or one of your choosing.
75w heater

3 MTS, 2 nerite snails, 1 oto

This setup would be fine with stock lighting and require low maintenance.

for reference, i have (2) 4 gallon aqueons situated side by side.