Lighting for a 20g
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 07-14-2003, 04:05 AM   #1
Pangasius
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to Pangasius

I got two tanks but I got a question about this one. I have to fix it up this summer because well hense my name I had a large fish in there. I also got Characins. The large fish screwed it up along with a ice storm so It needs to be redone. I got a glass hood, and some other stuff. I need to know how many watts I will need for lighting on this tank. I got Home Depot and am ready to buy. Money isnt an issue but I want a reasonable priced light. How many watts do I need. I plan on trying many plant species like swords. Right now I got Java fern and the lighting sucks. Going to fix up the tank next week.
Pangasius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2003, 01:41 PM   #2
Rex Grigg
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to Rex Grigg Send a message via AIM to Rex Grigg

Quote:
Money isnt an issue but I want a reasonable priced light.
Hmm... these are mutually exclusive statements in one sentence. Do you want the best lights money can buy or do you want the best that you can get for as little money as possible?

Is your tank a 20 high or a 20 long? Either way you are going to need at a minimum of 2 watts per gallon.
Rex Grigg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2003, 07:04 PM   #3
Pangasius
Algae Grower

I was in a real hurry last night and didn't have time to post let me explain in more detail. What I need is better lighting than what comes with the fish tank. What comes with the tank is crap. Waste of money on crappy lighting. I need lighting thats ideal to keep amazon swords, and othere species. Right now all I can keep is Java Fern with this crap lighting. I got a regular sized 20g high. I dont think its long. I would say its about standard size. The brand tank is an eclipse, and I got a perfecto glass top for it 24inch. so that may answer your question right there. What I dont want to happen is "I go out buy lighting at home depot and it sucks just as bad as the last lighting system" No mistakes this time. I want to hear what would be the best ligthing for aquarium. I want it to be safe, good for plants, reasonalbly priced under 75 bucks if possible. Remember money really isnt a issue but I am a college student so that explains it more. I need too know how many watts all need too. You say 2 per gallon that leads me to believe 40 watts. Doesnt seem enough to me? So I need an explanation on your ratio. Sorry I typed this fast again and I know it has errors. Hopefully I cleared things up about what I am looking for. ops:
Old 07-15-2003, 01:32 AM   #4
Rex Grigg
Planted Tank Guru

The 20 high is 24" long and the 20 long is 30" long. If you have to 20 high you need a bit more than 2 wpg due to the depth. If you have any basic skills you can head over to AH Supply and get a 55 watt PC kit and install it in a DIY hood. If you are all thumbs you can get an enclosure from AH Supply and install the kit in there. A 55 watt PC will give you plenty of light. The 55 watt kit is $42, a bulb is ~$20, and if you need one the enclosure is $35.
Old 07-16-2003, 04:34 AM   #5
Pangasius
Algae Grower

Do you got a link to one of these kits. ANother forum said a standard fluorecent light 2 tubes from home depot would be ok?
Old 07-16-2003, 04:41 AM   #6
Rex Grigg
Planted Tank Guru

www.ahsupply.com

Two tubes would be 30-40 watts. And with no decent reflectors you would still have problems.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.