Figure 8 puffer and 10 gallon
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 08-08-2012, 02:05 AM   #1
rygar126
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Figure 8 puffer and 10 gallon

So its been 1 weeks since i started cycling the tank and right now I have Java fern, mini anubias, java moss, anachris, anubias (long stem) in my 10 gallon with 1.5 WPG no CO2. The debris is presoaked and established from the LFS. Im cycling it with 2 tiger barbs and snails and today i have 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite. The anachris is already starting to grow new sprouts. I wanted to eventually put a figure 8 puffer and an oto after the cycling is finished. what do you guys think about the fish stocking? Maybe some neon tetras?

Old 08-08-2012, 02:45 AM   #2
rocksmom
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (26/100%)

Nice looking tank, but figure 8 puffers are brackish water fish. If you want to go the puffer route you could do dwarf puffers. They're freshwater and only get about an inch long. A figure 8 would outgrow that tank anyway.
Old 08-08-2012, 03:58 AM   #3
dubels
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)

A 10 gallon with any kind of puffer would not be ideal for any other fish besides the oto. The puffer will attack anything else in the tank. If you are set on the puffer make sure your snail population is strong. Don't go with a figure 8 puffer as mentioned above they need brackish water and a larger tank. Dwarf puffers would be perfect for a tank that size but they are very pick with tankmates because they are notorious fin nippers.
dubels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 04:34 AM   #4
angelsword
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

A Figure Eight Puffer requires a tank that's larger than a 10 gallon and brackish water. I'd start with some basic research about the requirements of brackish fish. Your tank looks great and would be perfect for a group of Otos and a school of Neons.