My progress on a 20g, and a question
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 08-04-2012, 06:08 AM   #1
Wannaberooted
Green is good

PTrader: (0/0%)

My progress on a 20g, and a question

Click image for larger version

Name:	m_2297.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	429.7 KB
ID:	51908
There it is after five weeks of plants, three with fish. The Temple plants melted but everything else is growing. The Cabomba, though a little spindly, and the various Crypts seem to be especially happy.

I'm using a 2x24w T5HO Zoo Med fixture with only one light on at a time, with a double thickness of screen four inches above the surface. The 5000k bulb is on most of the time, but I switch to a 6500k bulb when I get home from work. I'm running 13 hours a day for light.

For fish I have three Peppered Corys, 10 Harlequin Rasboras, and a Dwarf Gourami. They are growing and seem very healthy and happy. I also have some Pond Snails that came with the plants, but are growing very slowly.

Now a question. I'm using Flourite and no fertilizers so far. I've read that it lacks certain nutrients, but there is so much conflicting information. The plants seem fine so far, so why should I mess with what seems to be working?

Oh yeah, another question. I've been using duct tape to hold the screen onto the light fixture, but it doesn't work very well. Does anyone know the best way to attach the fiberglass screen to it?

Last edited by Wannaberooted; 08-04-2012 at 07:49 AM.. Reason: I had another question
Wannaberooted is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2012, 05:44 PM   #2
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)

You could remove the splash guard and attach the screen to the inside of it. At least it wouldn't fall off that way. I don't think the light bulbs give off enough heat to affect the screen. Or, you could wrap the screen over the outside of the splash guard so it folds over the inside a little bit, to hold it it place.
Old 08-05-2012, 03:33 AM   #3
Wannaberooted
Green is good

Thanks Hoppy, I never thought of putting it inside the guard. I think that would be possible. The light doesn't get very hot, I'm sure the fiberglass could take it.

I have that big Sword Plant in the back right corner. What do you think of leaving only one layer of screen over it, so only that part of the aquarium gets medium light. Would that be asking for trouble? I'm talking leaving maybe three inches with only one layer.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:18 AM   #4
Wannaberooted
Green is good

I had to cut off an inch or two from the ends, but the double screen fit perfectly inside the splash guard. I did this after the light cycle today, so I'll have to wait to see the results. It is much more tidy looking now.

I could see all sorts of ways to provide higher light over certain plants with a screen like this, or lower light over others. Any opinions on this?