Anyone ever grow emersed plants out of the filter of a Fluval Spec?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Riparium/Terrarium/Vivarium

Old 09-11-2012, 08:32 PM   #1
raven_wilde
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

Anyone ever grow emersed plants out of the filter of a Fluval Spec?

I'm thinking of taking our Fluval Spec and setting it up in my houseplant window as a mini riparium.

Basically I'm thinking of turning the back filter compartment into something like a riparium basket and rooting some plants in it.

Has anyone else done this? What kind of substrate material should I use? I was kind of wondering how Seachem Matrix would do... I know that it would basically turn the entire thing into a bio-filter, but would it be enough for the riparium plant?

And what kind of plant should I try? I was thinking something tall, like a cyperus variety... your thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2012, 10:03 PM   #2
DerekFF
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (17/100%)

I think xenexes did

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=170324

Sent from my DROIDX
DerekFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 04:06 AM   #3
AirstoND
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Has anyone else done this?
- Many have

What kind of substrate material should I use?
- LECA or river gravel, I've used Caribsea Floramax

enough for the riparium plant?
- Yes just keep water circulating & aerated, and soft by mixing water changes with distilled water. i.e. 50/50 tap/Distilled, I occasionally use Excel, but do dose with Flourish, and have a DIY CO2 system with yeast for submerged plants. I used Tetra root tabs for my anthurium, not that it needed it, but it doesn't kill it. I've used Orchid Myst (humic/fluvic acids) to dissolve mineral buildup.

And what kind of plant should I try? I was thinking something tall, like a cyperus variety... your thoughts?
- Go 4 it, I've tried zebrina, pothos, spider plants, iresene bloodleaf, spath, anthurium, jasminium, mints, dieffenbachia. Invest in HO CFL spotlights.

Good Luck
AirstoND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:54 AM   #4
ony
Planted Member

I have a HOB on my fluval ebi and Ive planted that. Do remember that terrestrial plants are total nutrient hogs and expect to dose lots of macros if you want the aquatics plants to live. Peace lily is the lowest maintenance plant Ive tried so far but most of the ones AirstoND suggested have worked well too.

PS. peperomia is both colourful and compact, definitely one to consider.
ony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:35 PM   #5
tobystanton
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/83%)

tobystanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:19 PM   #6
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

Works well with climbing plants, too, as long as you give them something to climb on. I had Golden Pothos making laps around my living room.
Prayer plant (Maranta, several species), Dracaena (several), Philodendron cordatum, Syngonium... Almost any of the plants that are not succulents should work well. The key is good water circulation so it is well oxygenated. Good light is important, too. The best plants I have had were growing near windows.

I have tucked plants into the tops of the tanks, no substrate.
I have made sumps filled with lava rock and pumped the water through. Both methods work.
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:26 AM   #7
AirstoND
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ony View Post
I have a HOB on my fluval ebi and Ive planted that. Do remember that terrestrial plants are total nutrient hogs and expect to dose lots of macros if you want the aquatics plants to live. Peace lily is the lowest maintenance plant Ive tried so far but most of the ones AirstoND suggested have worked well too.

PS. peperomia is both colourful and compact, definitely one to consider.
Peperomia... another plant I...must...add
AirstoND is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fluval spec, riparium