Bug ID help please
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 08-05-2012, 08:56 PM   #1
Shrimpaholic
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Bug ID help please

Today I was looking closely and some of my Java Moss on a piece of driftwood and noticed really tiny, barely visible little white bug looking creatures. They don't really come out of the Java Moss and don't swim to far but move faster than newborn shirmplets would. I noticed some on my Morimo Ball as well. I can barely see them unless I shine a flashlight into my Java Moss.
Does anyone have any idea what this could be?

I would take a picture but they are so small you can't really see them. I used to keep fish in the tank with shrimp and never noticed these little guys before. I have about 40 RCS shrimplets in my tank and the bugs don't seem to bother them.

I'm a little concerned because I have just introduced more CRS into my tank in hopes of having them breed. I've been reading about scuds, Planaria, and all the little copepods, but I'm not sure what these are. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/yo...o=view&id=3653
Shrimpaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2012, 09:36 PM   #2
hedge_fund
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (94/100%)

Either seed shrimp or copepods. Check out the FAQ thread on top...there is a section in there about bugs.
hedge_fund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:00 PM   #3
Overgrowth
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

If they're copepods, you will never get rid of them. :/

Seachem Flourite - "Although pre-washed"
BIGGEST LIE EVER TOLD
Overgrowth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:03 PM   #4
hedge_fund
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overgrowth View Post
If they're copepods, you will never get rid of them. :/
Mine went away on their own after a few months and the only thing that I changed was to feed the shrimp less.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:19 PM   #5
Shrimpaholic
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedge_fund View Post
Mine went away on their own after a few months and the only thing that I changed was to feed the shrimp less.
I'm thinking they are copepods. I think I will try feeding them less. Currently I feed my shrimp daily and skip one day a week. Do you think every other day is sufficient? I don't feed them a lot. Around 30 of the Hikari Shrimp Cuisine pellets which are pretty small. I have about 30 adult shrimps,30-40 RCS shrimplets, two otto's and two Nerites in A 20 gallon. If I feed them Algae Wafers I feed them about the equivalent of 30 Hikari Shrimp Cuisine pellets. I give them blanched Veggies maybe twice a week.

Old 08-06-2012, 02:09 AM   #6
Shrimpaholic
Planted Member

Ok now I'm freaking out a bit. Ever since I discovered what I believe are copepods, I've been obsessively looking over my tank through a magnifying glass. In my Morimo moss ball, I found these very thin, small, white to transparent looking worms living on it. are these planaria?? From what I have read, the description of planaria are different than these guys I found. These things are about the width of one of the tiny hairs that stick out of the Morimo Balls. The only place I see them is on the moss ball. But I really don't know. any advice would be appreciated. I don't want to dose my tank with SafeGuard if I don't have to.

One thing I do realize though is that I am overfeeding. I am cutting back to feeding every other day and feeding them about 3/4 of what I was feeding them before. And I'm getting a feeding dish...

Old 08-06-2012, 02:22 AM   #7
hedge_fund
Planted Tank Guru

If you have tons of plants and the tank has been fairly well established then you do not need to feed daily. You should also use shrimp specific foods that do not break down in water so you can take them out after 2 hours. I personally never leave uneaten food for a very long time. Shirakura Chi Ebi and BorneoWild Bebi are great foods if you are scared of your babies not surviving.....both are actually "good" for the water quality if dosed within reason.

In terms of you planaria question. You would know if it's planaria since they have triangle heads and they move fairly fast around the glass etc. Once again, if you are feeding too much then you definitely up your chance of getting some planaria. What you describe does not sound like it though.
Old 08-06-2012, 02:23 AM   #8
Overgrowth
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
That doesn't work for me

Seachem Flourite - "Although pre-washed"
BIGGEST LIE EVER TOLD
Overgrowth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 02:46 AM   #9
hedge_fund
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overgrowth View Post
That doesn't work for me
Yeah, not sure how that's possible but that's the only thing that I changed in the tank. I also had nemetodes that disappeared at the same time when I lowered the quantity on the feedings.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:02 AM   #10
angelsword
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

I'm not sure what they are but I have the same thing in my shrimp tank. I've been using a piece of air line to siphon them out. Since it's such a small hose I can do it for a long time without losing too much water. I end up with a bucket full if them swimming around. They come right back though. No planaria is a good product for the planaria but keep in mind it kills all snails.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:02 AM   #11
Shrimpaholic
Planted Member

Quote:
If you have tons of plants and the tank has been fairly well established then you do not need to feed daily. You should also use shrimp specific foods that do not break down in water so you can take them out after 2 hours. I personally never leave uneaten food for a very long time. Shirakura Chi Ebi and BorneoWild Bebi are great foods if you are scared of your babies not surviving.....both are actually "good" for the water quality if dosed within reason.

In terms of you planaria question. You would know if it's planaria since they have triangle heads and they move fairly fast around the glass etc. Once again, if you are feeding too much then you definitely up your chance of getting some planaria. What you describe does not sound like it though.
I feed them Hikari Shrimp Cuisine which is a shrimp specific food correct? That and small pieces of Algae wafers. Other than that they get blanched spinach and Zuchinnis, and once in a great while a few bloodworms or brineshrimp. I do remove any food that I see after a few hours as well. But as you pointed out I am feeding them to much so that's getting cut back.

The tank has been up for over a year so you are right again the babies should have plenty to eat. Is there something wrong with Hikari Shrimp Cuisine?

Appreciate the advice, thanks.

Old 08-06-2012, 03:44 AM   #12
hedge_fund
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimpaholic View Post

The tank has been up for over a year so you are right again the babies should have plenty to eat. Is there something wrong with Hikari Shrimp Cuisine?

Appreciate the advice, thanks.
Never used Hikari Shrimp Cuisine so I can't really comment. If you have good success with shrimp then keep using it but perhaps feed a bit less. Your "bugs" will not disappear overnight and might take some time.

I also used to put baby guppies in the tank but that's a bandaid solution. As soon as you take the fish out all the copepods etc will reappear unless you changed your feeding habits.
Old 08-06-2012, 04:37 AM   #13
Shrimpaholic
Planted Member

Quote:
Never used Hikari Shrimp Cuisine so I can't really comment. If you have good success with shrimp then keep using it but perhaps feed a bit less. Your "bugs" will not disappear overnight and might take some time.

I also used to put baby guppies in the tank but that's a bandaid solution. As soon as you take the fish out all the copepods etc will reappear unless you changed your feeding habits.
I like the baby guppy idea as this will help the population of bugs diminish. And by feeding your shrimp just the amount they need and removing anything uneaten, the bugs have less to eat and eventually (in theory at least) will disappear or diminish in numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelsword View Post
I'm not sure what they are but I have the same thing in my shrimp tank. I've been using a piece of air line to siphon them out. Since it's such a small hose I can do it for a long time without losing too much water. I end up with a bucket full if them swimming around. They come right back though. No planaria is a good product for the planaria but keep in mind it kills all snails.
I like this idea too. This should definitely help to decrease the population of bugs in my tank. All good advice and I will make good use of it.