Fluval Spec 2G Stocking suggestions
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 08-04-2012, 08:52 PM   #1
ryc120
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
Talking

Fluval Spec 2G Stocking suggestions

Hello all,

I just was walking through Petsmart and saw a Spec on sale for $44 and grabbed it. Not sure what I want to put in it though, and was wondering if everyone can help me out.

It's a Fluval Spec 2G. Stock LED light, and filter.
Cost is not an issue, just want a nice looking shrimp only tank. My main concern is temperature in the summer. The location of the spec will be in the kitchen on the counter. Water temp will most likely be anywhere from 75-78F. Cooler in the winter. (I can buy a small heater for it in the winter if needed)
I already have RCS and CRS in my 29g so I don't want those in there. Any other suggestions? I think the summer temp would be too high for CRS anyway.

I have not bought substrate yet as that will depend on the type of shrimp I want.

Thanks all!

Old 08-04-2012, 10:01 PM   #2
diwu13
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)

If your temperature where the tank is is stable, then you should be fine. You could look at some Spec setups in the Tank journal section of this forum.

I would add some driftwood or moss walls to better utilize the vertical space of the tank.

ヽ( ゚ヮ゚)ノ.・゚*。・+☆ Twin 10G Shrimp Tanks & 20L Grow Out Tank
diwu13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 10:39 PM   #3
Bananariot
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (26/100%)

TTTTTTTiiiiigggeeeerrrrsss are always fun. My TT's have a lot of personality, they're out and about more than Neo's or CRS.
Bananariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 01:47 AM   #4
ryc120
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananariot View Post
TTTTTTTiiiiigggeeeerrrrsss are always fun. My TT's have a lot of personality, they're out and about more than Neo's or CRS.
Would tigers be alright at those temps?
Old 08-05-2012, 02:45 AM   #5
Bananariot
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryc120 View Post
Would tigers be alright at those temps?
That should be the upper limit, I find tigers to be a bit more tolerant than CRS. My downstairs get to 80 for water levels, tigers are ok, crs have suffered some deaths.

Heat actually decimated my CRS levels pretty bad....I sold off most of them and the remaining 6 got bacterial infections from heat levels.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:00 PM   #6
ryc120
Planted Member

Here we go...

Got some FSS for the substrate. Added some filter media from the 29g, and nerites to cycle.
Slate rock doesn't change water parameters. Right now PH is sitting at 6.8.
Also added some HC and dwarf hairgrass. We'll see how this experiment goes.

My only concern with possibly keeping tigers in there is the water temp. With the LED light on the tank gets to 77F. May have to consider another shrimp. I definitely want to wait until some biofilm builds up before adding shrimp.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:20 PM   #7
Kunsthure
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)

CPO! I've been considering setting up a 1g or 2g for a CPO. It's an invert I've never kept before. There aren't many kinds of shrimp I like visually that I 1) haven't kept, 2) can afford or 3) can provide the right params for.

You need some DW or cholla to visually balance that tank and give the critters a jungle gym.

-Lisa
Old 08-05-2012, 10:42 PM   #8
ryc120
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunsthure View Post
CPO! I've been considering setting up a 1g or 2g for a CPO. It's an invert I've never kept before. There aren't many kinds of shrimp I like visually that I 1) haven't kept, 2) can afford or 3) can provide the right params for.

You need some DW or cholla to visually balance that tank and give the critters a jungle gym.

-Lisa
Never thought of getting a CPO before.. hmmm....

Will be getting some DW for the tank soon. Just have to find the right one!
Old 08-05-2012, 11:18 PM   #9
ryantube
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (90/100%)

I cycled my FSS and akadama for only a week and.my shrimps are quite happy with it.
ryantube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 01:28 AM   #10
Bananariot
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryc120 View Post
Here we go...

Got some FSS for the substrate. Added some filter media from the 29g, and nerites to cycle.
Slate rock doesn't change water parameters. Right now PH is sitting at 6.8.
Also added some HC and dwarf hairgrass. We'll see how this experiment goes.

My only concern with possibly keeping tigers in there is the water temp. With the LED light on the tank gets to 77F. May have to consider another shrimp. I definitely want to wait until some biofilm builds up before adding shrimp.
CPO are nice, Ive one breeding right now. However, I'd be concerned in a 2 gallon. The floor space isn't particularly large and even with hiding spots, I'd be scared for the female. My female and male are in a heavily mossed up and ground planted 10 gal, and my female still lost a claw from male aggression after molting.

I've had 4 breeding males in my time so far, (they all have their own little breeder boxes now for breeding purposes), and they've all been extremely aggressive....even though most sites say they aren't that bad.

They chase after shrimp, after fish, after other CPO's. I've noticed the females are much tamer and are less likely to attack shrimp and others. With the lights on, I've never witnessed a female attack something yet....but who knows with the lights off.

On a side note, my CPO seem to be highly alert unlike my shrimp. They know when you approach the glass and males will even come up to it and start flailing as to "fight" you for territory lol

These guys are cool because you can see the eggs more clearly than shrimp. They're bigger eggs than shrimp eggs, but they develop the exact same way
Old 08-06-2012, 07:07 AM   #11
aznrice247
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (31/97%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananariot View Post

These guys are cool because you can see the eggs more clearly than shrimp. They're bigger eggs than shrimp eggs, but they develop the exact same way
woahhh that is really cool actually. First time i've seen a berried crayfish with eggs developed that far.

you should go with something hardy imo because of FFS and its a 2 gal so water parameters wouldn't be too stable with 10-20% wc.

i'd say blue velets or pumpkin neos.
aznrice247 is offline   Reply With Quote