ODing a 125 gallon - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 07-15-2003, 07:20 PM   #16
Baller
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Wow! Where'd you get prices like that? Please tell!

That sounds really good. I'll probably need two of those and that'd be 320w, awesome! I thought flourescent need to be changed once a year, how long do u need to change VHO bulbs?

Bye!
Baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2003, 08:01 PM   #17
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

If you are OD'ing flourescent bulbs they wear out more quickly (due to the heat, etc). You replace VHO's like every other flourescent bulb, its just a higher wattage.

I got those prices from Industrial lighting supply places... Home depot in Canada is just a joke for getting anything of quality so I try to avoid places like that.

The bulbs I ended up getting were OSram Sylvania bulbs, 6500k CRI of 76... I was using 3 of them but it got WAY too hot for my house so I am now using just 1 with 2 4 foot Hagen Power Glow bulbs. I really like the colour mix.

I got mine from Albrite Lighting, you have one in Vancouver so I would give them a call (in fact, mine were shipped over from Vancouver so you should have no problems)
GDominy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 08:10 PM   #18
Baller
Algae Grower

Cool, thanks! I just gave them a call. $56 for WorkHorse 7 and $36 for WorkHorse 5, great! And your wrong, they're not located in Vancouver, they're in Coquitlam. That's where I live! 8) Heheh
Old 07-15-2003, 08:14 PM   #19
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

Doh! I was close... heh.. I have a location here in Victoria and they always refer to it as the "vancouver store"
Old 07-16-2003, 04:28 PM   #20
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

I've been out of town, so I havent' been able to get on the forum but before I even got to the second page, I was going to recommend a Workhorse 7 ballast. Fulham has tons of distributors in Canada. As for the bulb selection, good work on finding that great price on a 6 foot bulb, Gareth.
I think you're all set, Baller. If you ever have any questions about ODNO, feel free to email me. But the guys fielded the questions perfectly. Nothing to add.
Old 07-16-2003, 06:04 PM   #21
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

I was really happy when I found those bulbs, and they work really well too. I've had some pretty nice growth since I started using them :-)

The only downside to the bulbs is that they are T12, but they produce enough light to keep my 2 foot deep 135 gallon very well lit.
Old 07-16-2003, 06:16 PM   #22
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

If you can't find the Syvania Bulbs (it look slike they might have been disco'd) try to find these bulbs by phillips. The specs are actually a bit better and should be with $5 of the other bulbs.

http://www.lighting.philips.com/nam/...uor.php?id=382
Old 07-16-2003, 06:47 PM   #23
Vinlo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

I've been following this thread here.. very good info.. thanks a bunch. My question is this, I have a 50gallon I am setting up and need some lighting. Only problem is it is 36" long. After reading this thread I was wondering if I could get a similar bulb to the one Gareth linked to in a 36" length? I was going to ODNO a few T8s but this VHO seems more economical. Also am I reading that correctly when it says 160 watts for that linked bulb? That is crazy. I figure I would only need 2 WHO bulbs over the tank to get me more than enough light! Any help is much appreciated.

I don't mean to derail the discussion but I didn't think this question warranted a new topic.

Thanks.
Vinlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 06:56 PM   #24
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

Give me a couple of minutes here and I"ll get you some links for HO/VHO bulbs for a tank like that. You could very easily do something for a tank that size (my 90 gallon is 36" wide too so I've been thinking about VHO'ing it as well)
Old 07-16-2003, 07:06 PM   #25
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

This is where things get a little sticky... Although you can use HO/VHO for a tank this size your costs start to become a little close to ODNO. HO bulbs for this size are around 45 watts (VHO at 95 watts), and typically are T12 bulbs.. You could get similar light output to the HO using a decent T8 OD'd.

I'm trying to find a decent VHO bulb instead of the HO bulbs, at 95 watts per bulb it will cost much less maintain (over the course of 2 years)

Sylvania Doesnt make a VHO bulb under 4 foot, I'm checking GE and Phillips now.
Old 07-16-2003, 07:10 PM   #26
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

Hmmm.... This may not be the way to go on the cheap. I cant find a decent bulb in 3 foot, lots of 4 foot, but nothing in the 32-36" range.

There are specific aquarium VHO bulbs manufactured at these lengths, but you'd have to pay LFS prices for the bulbs, which defeats the cost savings entirely.

Check Big Als for the 36" VHO prices (about $50 a bulb canadian), you'll have to be the judge.
Old 07-16-2003, 07:21 PM   #27
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

Hmmm... just some quick math....

Workhorse 7 Ballast - $60 (this will drive 2 36" VHO bulbs)
2 x 36" Trichromatic VHO Bulbs $100 (LFS pricing)

So about $160 for 190 Watts of light over a 55 Gallon, or about 3.45 watts per gallon...

Thats not "too" bad, but if we can find some lower priced bulbs we'll be better off.

So to overdrive some 36" T8's I am going to assume you were going to have at least 4 bulbs.... (this is rough math, forgive me)

So thats 2 Workhorse 5 ballasts, about $70
4 decent bulbs, Chroma 50's or something similar, about $40

So thats $110 for 144 watts (before OD'ing them to whatever they'd end up at....)
Old 07-16-2003, 07:26 PM   #28
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

Ok I called every lighting supplier in my area and they are investigating bulbs for us now. I should here something back in the next day or two :-)
Old 07-16-2003, 07:31 PM   #29
Vinlo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Thanks gareth, maybe I will just go the OD route. 144 watts plus the OD would be plenty for me. I'd have to buy a CO2 system though.. damn money pit. Would you just OD them 2x?
Vinlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 07:43 PM   #30
Baller
Algae Grower

Woah, the thread exploded overnight! Good stuff!

When I made my rounds of stores this is what I got. For Sylvannia bulbs try Rona which use to be Revy. For Phillips, Home Depot has them. And GE is sold at Canadian Tire, also there's a small amount in Superstore including GE P&A bulb. I didn't check on VHO lighting though since when I went around I had no idea what they were. I might be able to go back out tonight.

For Workhorse ballasts you can find a retailer at http://www.fulham.com/dealerontario.html.

Bye!