Does anyone in Pdx have shrimp for sale?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Oregon

Old 08-04-2012, 11:30 AM   #1
Sethjohnson30
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

Does anyone in Pdx have shrimp for sale?

I would rather pick up shrimp somewhere close than deal with waiting in the mail.

I also can't decide what I want so whatever I can find locally will help narrow my choices down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sethjohnson30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2012, 02:52 AM   #2
jarvitron
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

There is a gentleman in Vancouver on Craigslist who advertises on and off, I believe the last price I saw was $5/per, he says high quality CRS. The Wet Spot in Hollywood has unknown quality, unknown price CRS as well as several neocaridina colorations.

I bought some CBS off an aquatic auction site whose initials are AB and it was a super duper good experience with one seller and a less great but still totally successful experience with another, and I ended up waiting two days for one order (ordered Monday, rec'd Wednesday) and five days for another (ordered Friday, not shipped until Monday, rec'd Wednesday), which is not bad altogether. They sure are fun to watch.

I know that some other places stock ghost shrimp/grass shrimp but I have no idea about quality -- between infestations of snails, duckweed, just plain diseased stuff? Frankly there's not a ton of places in town I would willingly purchase livestock or plants from, it's a shame.

I have some mild interest in trying a meeting of GPAS to see if there's people who sell/trade there but the forum doesn't exactly set the world on fire so I have low expectations. That might be a source for invertebrates too.
jarvitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 03:14 AM   #3
jkan0228
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (115/100%)

I have some shrimp that I might be able to sell once I get back into the country. What kind of shrimp are you looking for?
jkan0228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 03:18 AM   #4
Sethjohnson30
Wannabe Guru

I haven't decided what I want so I will take what I can get what kinds do you have ?

Old 08-06-2012, 03:19 AM   #5
Sethjohnson30
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarvitron View Post
There is a gentleman in Vancouver on Craigslist who advertises on and off, I believe the last price I saw was $5/per, he says high quality CRS. The Wet Spot in Hollywood has unknown quality, unknown price CRS as well as several neocaridina colorations.

I bought some CBS off an aquatic auction site whose initials are AB and it was a super duper good experience with one seller and a less great but still totally successful experience with another, and I ended up waiting two days for one order (ordered Monday, rec'd Wednesday) and five days for another (ordered Friday, not shipped until Monday, rec'd Wednesday), which is not bad altogether. They sure are fun to watch.

I know that some other places stock ghost shrimp/grass shrimp but I have no idea about quality -- between infestations of snails, duckweed, just plain diseased stuff? Frankly there's not a ton of places in town I would willingly purchase livestock or plants from, it's a shame.

I have some mild interest in trying a meeting of GPAS to see if there's people who sell/trade there but the forum doesn't exactly set the world on fire so I have low expectations. That might be a source for invertebrates too.
Last time I was at wet spot they said they don't carry shrimp because they are too sensitive

Old 08-06-2012, 03:20 AM   #6
jkan0228
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethjohnson30 View Post
I haven't decided what I want so I will take what I can get what kinds do you have ?

I don't know how well they're doing or if I have enough to sell but I have TT's, Fire Reds and Blue Velvets
Old 08-06-2012, 03:27 AM   #7
Sethjohnson30
Wannabe Guru

Well I won't have the tank set up for at least a month so keep me posted on what you have I will definetly come get some

Old 08-06-2012, 05:50 PM   #8
jarvitron
Algae Grower

Quote:
Last time I was at wet spot they said they don't carry shrimp because they are too sensitive

When was that? I called them July 28th, 2012 and had them read me a list of shrimp they had in stock, and visited the store July 30th, 2012, and saw neocardina varieties in the stock shelves as well as CRS throughout all the nano tanks across all their countertops (approximately what, like 14-20 small tanks, they were rearranging when I was in there). I do not know that the CRS in those tanks were for sale, but on the phone they confirmed they do have CRS for sale.

I would recommend calling the store instead of listening to either me or this guy, because both of our information is non-authoritative.
Old 08-06-2012, 05:52 PM   #9
jkan0228
Planted Tank Guru

Just so you know, any LFS in the states that sell shrimp are most likely selling them overpriced for their quality. Getting them from breeders or hobbyists is much much cheaper
Old 08-07-2012, 12:12 AM   #10
Calmia22
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

The cheapest I have seen cherries in stores is $4 each. CRS are upwards of $10. It really would be better to go online.
Fluval Flora Pimp #34, 40b Congo Puffer Tank,
75 Gallon High Tech
Calmia22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:38 AM   #11
Couesfanatic
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)

I have some fire reds also. In fact 1/2 genes from JKan0228's stock.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:51 PM   #12
jarvitron
Algae Grower

After seeing what was in stock and the prices, I have to agree here and point out my wait time for internet bought livestock is sub 72 hours. If you can't wait that long maybe you don't actually want em?
Old 08-17-2012, 03:46 AM   #13
Sethjohnson30
Wannabe Guru

It's not the wait time, I used to work for a. Package delivery company that drives brown trucks. Let's just say I'm not gonna put any shrimp through the shipping process. It's cruel.

Old 08-17-2012, 05:57 AM   #14
Calmia22
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
It's not the wait time, I used to work for a. Package delivery company that drives brown trucks. Let's just say I'm not gonna put any shrimp through the shipping process. It's cruel.

If thats the case, try to find someone in Washington, or somewhere close who breeds them, and see if you can pick up some for cheap. A bucket and a bubbler for around 8 hours works well. (my record length of time for moving fish)
Fluval Flora Pimp #34, 40b Congo Puffer Tank,
75 Gallon High Tech
Calmia22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 09:39 AM   #15
jkan0228
Planted Tank Guru

I'm back in town in a few days and can see if I have any shrimp for sale.

Sent from my fingers