Petsmart plants? - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 08-03-2012, 12:06 PM   #16
Perryboat
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Picked up a bag of DHG from petsmart yesterday, they seem to be ok. It was grown in what seems to be a Jello-like substance.overall it was in good condition.
Perryboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2012, 12:31 PM   #17
Stump26
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Petsmart is now labeling there plants semi-aquatic or aquatic at the one near me.
Stump26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:38 PM   #18
jbrady33
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

it does depend on the petsmart, talked to the fishguy at one near my work. He said they get new all the time, after 30 days they start to look not so good and he moves them to a clearance area at half price. Some other stores seem to leave them in the shelf half dead and not replace the stock. He had the bags of hairgrass, microsword, etc, and 3 different size tubes of anubias, wisteria, sword, ECT. Prices are more than what most what are asking in the trading room, but you don't have to worry about shipping.

There are a lot of non aquatics, but they seem to be marking them with a green sticker now.

The clear jelly is a hydrostatic gel ( I think that's the term) that I have run into before - its used in agriculture to absorb water and release slowly, prolonging the time between watering, and in cigar storage as an alternative to a wet foam humidifier. It swells to many times its size when soaked in water
jbrady33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:09 PM   #19
tiggity
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

I've had luck with their tube plants - wisteria, anubias, java fern and amazon sword (big now).

I recently got one of their clearance (50% off) crypt wendtii green that came in the new bagged packaging and it's doing really well after 2 weeks in my tank.

However, I bought an Alternathera Reinekii and all but two stems melted/died.

Not too bad though, nice to see their plant selection is expanding.
40B Dirt | Aqueon Evolve 8 Dirt | Fraternity of Dirt #120
tiggity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 04:34 PM   #20
Wulfyn
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelMcG View Post
any pics of your telanthera? im thinking about picking up a bag..
Not the best shot with a malfunctioning cam, whats left that hasnt gotten eaten lol.

Wulfyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 04:41 PM   #21
RavenSkyfire
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubs View Post
The one at South Center is still all tubes lol
Actually, the one at South Center also has the newer plants in the little vacuum sealed bags. I got some Bacopa and some DHG there a little over a month ago. The Bacopa is currently trying to outgrow my 5 gallon, I seriously need to trim it back!! LOL

There is also Sierra Fish and Pets over in Renton right off of 167. They have a fairly decent selection of plants and they are all proper aquarium plants, no bog or terrestial plants. Not that I have ever seen atleast!

45g soon to be community tank (houses Endler guppies at the moment but will be selling those soon)
6g Endler tank
RavenSkyfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 06:00 PM   #22
TwoTacoCombo
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (16/100%)

I picked up some wisteria and windelov from my local petsmart and it's all doing great. Most of the plants in my local PS look alive and healthy, and the stuff they started carrying in the bag looks really tempting. I went to petco and looked at the same stuff, and it was all completely dead. It's a little pricy compared to what you can get from someone here, but you don't pay shipping and it's available then and there.
TwoTacoCombo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 06:18 PM   #23
kribkeeper888
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubs View Post
The one at South Center is still all tubes lol
Yeah well my nearest one is yakima.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:17 PM   #24
JMN16150
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

Plants in tubes that they sell at my petsmart in Tracy,CA.
False Aquatics:Mondo/Kyoto Grass,Gold/Silver Ribbon Plant(Dracaena Sanderiana), basically variegated lucky bamboo without the long bamboo-like stalk, Brazillian sword(Spathiphyllum or peace lily), and the peacock fern
True Aquatics: Dwarf Water Onion, Amazon sword, Anubias var. Barteri, Water Wysteria, and Java fern
JMN16150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:19 PM   #25
Snowflake311
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Just know what plants are true aquatic and you will be fine. I have bought a few plants from the tube and the ones in the bags. I bought DHG too it's doing well. They do well and grow great once established. No algea or snails on them that's a +.
Old 08-03-2012, 09:30 PM   #26
MichaelMcG
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)

thanks Wulfyn! im gonna give it a shot lol
Old 08-05-2012, 07:38 AM   #27
SuperFisch
Algae Grower

I've been satisfied thus far. I've got 3 tube plants, 2 bag plants 2-4 weeks old so far. All's well!

I would like to reiterate that all my tube plants were labeled as aquatic. I did not purchase any from the whole section of tube plants labelled semi-aquatic. Verified by Android and I left with good purchases!
SuperFisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 03:25 PM   #28
seanski21
Planted Member

i bought some of the wendtii from one of those vacuum bags they're really doing well. probably about ten times the size they were when I got them.
seanski21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 04:36 PM   #29
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

JMN, the Pet Smart in Concord sells plants 3 ways:
Some are in tanks that are part of their overall filtration system (so would need quarantine because the water is potentially in contact with Ich and everything else.
Tubes (90% land plants)
The new plastic bags with gel. A week ago these bags looked pretty good, and a nice assortment, and it seemed to be aquatic plants, though I did not read every label.

I want to see what the PS in Antioch (near Brentwood, Lone Tree) offers. Sometimes they have nice supplies, but have never been great for plants.
Another one to check out might be closer to you is in Dublin, near Aquarium Concepts.
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 04:49 PM   #30
Knotyoureality
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake311 View Post
Just know what plants are true aquatic and you will be fine. I have bought a few plants from the tube and the ones in the bags. I bought DHG too it's doing well. They do well and grow great once established. No algea or snails on them that's a +.
The majority of the tubed plants I've bought at both Petco and Petsmart have been in good shape. However, I've gotten a couple java ferns that were little more than stems and leaves--no roots at all and barely any rhizome--and there have been a couple cases of the plant in the tube not matching the label. Haven't tried any of the bagged plants yet, but they've generally looked healthy and I like that I can generally see the root system before purchase.

Limited selection, but when the nearest LFS is an hour's drive away and your summer temps are 100+ for months....
Knotyoureality is offline   Reply With Quote